So it's APRIL - Spring Chat

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Thought I would start the April thread.
I have had a productive Easter weekend.

Got the cob out for her walk. Cleaned her boots. Put the three that are no longer being used on ebay.

Finally cleared everything that needed doing in the paddock. I have had to widen the ditch, some water really is stubborn about flowing the right way!

Anyway those herras fence panel will have a new home once it's dried up enough to lift them out.
I couldn't have her grazing amongst all this stuff. I was too worried she could hurt herself on something.

FB_IMG_1712015838701.jpg
collage-1712016063319.jpg

So I have welcomed April and Spring with motivation. All me in a week if I still have any left 😂

Reactions: Jessey
I had a busy Easter weekend too, it’s amazing what 4 days off and a bit of sunshine can do for your motivation!

I picked up a trailer load of hay for me and my neighbour on Friday, and rearranged the little storage shed to make it easier to dish out each day.

On Saturday I added another bit to my track linking the old field and new, then knocked some fence posts in to change the 2 back paddocks that ran front to back, into 4 paddocks off the track running right to left. The bottom 2 are still far too wet but it means I was able to start using the front 2 lightly and rest the very front 2 that I’ve been using all winter.

Yesterday I went out as foot soldier with my neighbour J’s new horse on his first hack (he was incredibly sweet about it all).

I rode 3 out of the 4 days too, so pretty happy with that.

Quite pleased I got Billy out 3 days in a row. Chunky only went out with us the 1st day. The other 2 he was left to float the garden.
I have actually managed to do some long awaited paperwork too. More to do still. But its made my head feel in a better place, been putting it off for months.
Then dealing with lambings. The one shed is now full.
Im actually quite tired, and could do with more time off. 3½days off was not long enough. Got to play catch up with work the rest of the week, having not worked yesterday.

I spent weekend up a ladder, being very stereotypical by taking advantage of the double bank holidays and decorated my lounge! 😂 Utterly shattered but very pleased with the results 👍

Reactions: Skib and Jessey
Kirrie BE cancelled. Hardy surprising but I don't think even trying to run an event at this time. 2 weeks till forgandenny which is next door, judging by our fields that won't happen. So that is 2/6 Scottish events. Glad robin is no longer eventing!

• Sad
I seem to be totally exhausted after hacking today, even though YM took me out. OH pointed out that due to wet weather and getting scared, it was some weeks since I had last hacked.

Gosh you are so much warmer. Ours are just green leaves currently. I saw someone local im town with tulips in full bloom. The ones in my garden are only a few inchs high currently.

We are warmer I think. There are sheltered spots from the wind that are full of flowers.

This thread reminds me I saw this out walking the other day, anyone know what it is?
PXL_20240331_102318919.jpg

Fritillaria meleagris

Snake's head fritillary according to google.

If you want to check. In case anybody doesnt know how to check. Copy image, nip over to google, paste it in the search bar. Google Lens will identify it for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrA and Jessey
I still have a lame pony so not much springing for us. Just waiting on the ground drying up enough to get the field rolled and then I can get my track system strung and hopefully Faran will be back in work and out 🤞🏼

I still have a lame pony so not much springing for us. Just waiting on the ground drying up enough to get the field rolled and then I can get my track system strung and hopefully Faran will be back in work and out 🤞🏼
Oh no, did I miss something? I hope it’s nothing too serious 🤞

Reactions: MrC

Fritillaria meleagris

Snake's head fritillary according to google.

If you want to check. In case anybody doesnt know how to check. Copy image, nip over to google, paste it in the search bar. Google Lens will identify it for you.
Thank you, I did not know this was a thing!

What's he done?

After a slightly excitable start to March Monkey has been so chilled the last few weeks, I had just let myself think that perhaps spring wasn't going to be too exciting 🤣🤣 this morning he was on one, went cantering up and down the paddock when I put them out on the grass, then charging back along the track, sliding and bouncing and back out to the field, then as I walked round to the hay on the track with Jess he came flat out thundering along, leaping and bucking and doing circles around us. I think I might need to stop at home later, to pick up full seat jods to ride tonight!

Good job im in no hurry to put the horses on a track. This was yesterdays paddock they all went into. A whole acre and they did this.

20240403_084324.jpg
Great they made use of the natural scratching posts and back massager but there not supposed to be wallowing in the mud. I think i have pigs not cows and horses. The horses would have to walk through this if i set the track up. Completely wrecked. You cant tell em.

Mind i also spot some serious debarking going on. Theyve had mineral buckets throughout the whole winter. But they finished up the supply i brought last weekend. I cant get any more from the normal feed store. So i need to look elsewhere anyway. But based on the rapid debark i think the cows may be lacking still some vitamins and minerals so time for a different sort anyway.
Ironically they are now starting to leave the hay. So ive reduced it down. Im now feeding the June cut too rather than the September cut. So in theory better quality. Clearly even with the grass coming through, to do such rapid debark, the new grass isnt providing for the mineral loss.
20240403_084422.jpg

• Wow
newrider.com