The Inconvenience of Owning a Horse....For Our Family and Friends.

Gosh I sound really selfish and horrible! I'm a nice person really I swear, tbh I just prefer the company of my horse, I have had a lot of problems with my family and I don't think they really miss me that much anyway so I don't feel guilty about the time I spend with my horse or my other major hobby cycling

It doesn't!!!
One of our oldest friends really does not understand our commitment to our horses at all. He could not understand why we didn't want to leave them at lunch time and party all afternoon and night and just not bother seeing them until the day after! I put the question to him that how would he feel if I asked him to get up at 6.30am (after not drinking heavily) and spend the day outdoors mucking out etc and then still not partake of excessive alcohol (something he adores) and then eat a good hearty meal and have an early night. He looked at me like I was bonkers and the thoughts of abstaining from heavy drinking were anathema to him!! Basically he was not prepared to "get" our lifestyle but expected us to join in with his. I don't think so!

I might just be happy to devote my time to the horses - and that for me it isn't a chore!

People that don't have them just don't understand

"think of all the things you could do if you didn't have horses" don't think she realises there is nothing I want to do more!

I agree this is what "I want do do"

Gosh I sound really selfish and horrible! I'm a nice person really I swear, tbh I just prefer the company of my horse, I have had a lot of problems with my family and I don't think they really miss me that much anyway so I don't feel guilty about the time I spend with my horse or my other major hobby cycling

I don't think you do at all~

What is also the pitts is someone that wants horses but "does not want to put in the commitment"
and thinks that just because you have horses and that you "already have no other life" (of your own choosing)
take theirs on too so "they can have a life"--- no I don't think so!

I know just how you feel, and I am just the same.

I don't have a horse to farm him out to other people to do, but it amazes me how many people do. I am up the yard twice a day, 6.30am weekdays and then after work. I turn fellow liveries horses out - she is a teacher so gets back earlier than me so gets hers and Tobes in during the winter, but I still go up and feed him in the evening though I could just leave his feed in his stable, but I actually like him and like to check he is OK!

If I have to be up there at 5.30am to sort him out that's just what I do! Wouldn't have it any other way and fortunately OH is a farmer so understands animals can't fit in with your social life and my parents have sheep so they understand also. As for anyone else, just tough really!

What is also the pitts is someone that wants horses but "does not want to put in the commitment"
and thinks that just because you have horses and that you "already have no other life" (of your own choosing)
take theirs on too so "they can have a life"--- no I don't think so!
I found myself with one of these, i did her horse every morning and 4 nights a week as she couldnt afford the fuel to come every day. Things changed and she would drive past to and from work and would go out loads but still leave me to sort the horse out. She never got that i wanted to do my horses even on the night she was over.

newrider.com