Using "non-horse" products to save money

Zinc and castor oil nappy rash cream from the supermarket is excellent for superficial wounds or whatever you would use products like Potties White Ointment for.

Sulphur from produce stores instead of garlic in the feed - works better than garlic as insect deterrant, is cheaper and doesn't stop reoxygenation of red blood cells like garlic does with continued use.

Best mane and tail comb I've used is my fingers.

Don't use shampoo if you don't need to remove stains. Water and rubber squeegy repeated once or twice removes dust and dirt without removing the coat's natural oils. Coat, mane and tail come out lovely, soft and shiney and no problems of scurf from products not rinsed out properly or dry, itchy, flaky skin.

Save your tea bags from you morning cuppa and make up a cuppa with warm water to use for cleaning nostrils and wiping around eyes. Smells good, nice and warm but don't use it on light coats unless you don't mind a light brown stain.

The cleaning mits from the supermarket that attract the dirt (the ones that you don't need to use with cleaning chemicals) are great for removing the dust from coats and are soft around the head and don't tickle around the tummy like brushes do.

Old electric blankets from op shops are usually 100% wool, thick and durable, and the least expensive woollen fabric you can buy from anywhere. You just need to thread out the wires and if you want to felt the fabric just wash doing the complete opposite to what you do for you best jumper.

Tell your family and friends what you need. Yesterday got a queen size bed cotton mattress protector and queen size bed woollen fleece underblacket from mum that she didn't need anymore. She said to use it for Odin but thinking I will retire our bed's old ones for Odin and use her rejects for our bed.

Unwanted older style sleeping bags make rugs, Ususally satin or waterproof on one side and cotton on the other.

Make up cotton rugs from sheets for use under bigger, thicker rug. These can be swapped regularly, protect the thicker rugs from the body oils and sweat and are easier and cheaper to wash than the big one.

A good roll in just damp wood shavings is a great way to remove dust from the coat and give the hair a natural shine.

Free lease your horse to your local Riding for the Disabled (if it is suitable). They will house it, feed it, do daily care, and share vet expenses in return for its use. You still get to ride whenever you like because they generally use the horses during the times you don't. Its different for each centre but it's worth checking out.

Store your bales hay on a $3 tarp to catch all those lovely bits of leaf that fall to the floor and get spoiled.

Hardware store tool belt is great as a grooming tool belt.

Squeezy sauce bottles are good for products like molases and hoof dressing. harder to spill, easy to grab and use, doesn't hiss at the horse like spray bottles do. Just fill them up from from the larger quantities you can buy and store.

Simplify your medicine/first aid box, look into the old faithfulls, like sulphur, condy's crystals, pure honey etc.

for all those that have ruined your riding clothes (which i have! lol :D) then pri mark is great, i got a pair of jeans for £4 theyve lasted me a year so far and dont show any signs of falling apart and t-shirts and 2 for £1.50 in there so you dont need to worry about them getting ruined.;)

One really cheap shampoo which is great for horses is 'Tesco's Extra value shampoo' it's blue and lasts for ages.
my lad is massively allergic to "tesco value shampoo" brings him out in huge hives!!!!!!! i find fairy liquid on white bits fantastic and head and shoulders for the rest of the body a tip given me by a very successfull shire horse breeder and judge.

heres a few for u all:
1.if your horse tends to knock his/hers buckets over try placing them in an old car tyre and hey presto they cant knock them over anymore ;)

2.a turnip hung from some string in the stable works as a bordem breaker

3.a car sponge threaded on to the head piece (placed between the ears) on the head color works as a poll gaurd

4.a 1litre coke (or what ever) bottle cut in half at an angle works as a feed scoop

5. a plastic washing up bowl can be used either as a feed bowl or a skip to pick your horses feet out in to

6.a plastic safety rasor (or your finger nails) can be used to remove bot eggs (cheaper than a bot knife)

7.never tried this but i know that if leg straps rub then you can try putting bike inner tube over them.

8.if your horse cribs try putting mustard on the area that he grabs and cribs at

9.instead of buying small holed haynets make one using twine or slip one haynet inside another

10.instead of buying specially designated ties for show jumping use your old school tie or steals dads for the day (thats what i do :) l

v moff xxx

Last edited:
For the horse that hates having suncream put on his pink nosey, sew an old flannel on to the headcollar :) My friend at the yard did that for her horse and now everyone has it!

Wow, great thread guys!:D
I was just wondering, earlier someone mentioned they use valseline/petrolleum jelly on the hooves. Then someone said it was bad for them. can you please explain why?

Thanks

p.s Is it because it stops moisture from getting in???:confused:

Nice thread ..

Here are my few ..

• Use baby-oil as a de-tangler .. and adds shine!
  • Old toothbrush for cleaning the hoof when applying betadine/cleaning
  • Use people hair wax/gel for plaits .. works wonders!
  • Old chaff bags as jump fillers .. cut the bottom open, and hang it from a high jump pole, and put another on the bottom to make the jump look 'filled'. Or lay on the ground.
  • Bit slip through the mouth when you one-rein stop (usually on loose ring snaffles)? Use a small piece of baler twine under the chin to keep steady.
  • Old water-spray bottles make great Betadine spray bottles! Much more acurate than applying with a sponge, gets the right area, ever time, with minimal mess!

Just a few I can think of at the moment :)

For fussy horses...
Use Pure Apple Juice from the supermarket instead of expensive bit sprays, just pour some over the bit.
Use the juice to flavour water for fussy drinkers e.g. at shows or just as a treat, or especially on hot days.

Ditto mild baby wipes.

A friend uses Tresemme on their horses manes and tails...

I use brown tape or sellotape on my velvet hat to get all the fluff and dust off it, makes it look like new, but be gentle!
I believe you can also steam velvet hats instead of splurging on those 'spensive hat cleaners.

For long hacks in the summer. Spray a tissue or some kitchen roll with your flyspray and slip it into a plastic bag to put in your pocket. Then wipe over your horse if the flies seem to be bothering him when out.

Also...
I haven't tried this but I've often read that feeding horses marmite helps their sweetitch? Worth a try :)

I used to always keep a tub of sudocream around the yard - hell if its ok for babies its should be ok for horses.

Used to use it for everything, sweet itch, mud fever, sunburn, and on any nick or cut the horses occasionaly appeared with.

(plus it makes a fab spot ridding face pack for us humans too!!)

Claire

*Put a few drops of vinegar in their water to help keep the flies away.
*Buy forks, buckets, feed bowls, wheelbarrows etc from hardware stores.
*Use rubber gloves instead of a shavings fork.
*Add a few drops of citronella or fly spray to some unfragranced baby wipes to use as fly wipes.
*Use ordinary combs and hairbrushes for bushy manes and tails.
*Use a high SPF sun cream for easily burnt pink noses.
*Use sudo cream for cuts, grazes, sunburn etc.
*An old supplement container for hoof pick skip, feed scoop or a place to keep your grooming brushes.

This a great topic to discuss!

Last edited:
Melonin dressings, from the chemists, are extremely cheap wound dressings and are often less bulky than Animalintex etc for smaller wounds.
womens sanitary pads are even cheaper as dressing pads. I use used ironing board felt for bandage wraps. I use honey as the only antiseptic and keep the wound covered until it is 100% healed. I make my own saddle cover out or curtain material, I plait my own ropes using twine. I use boot shine for hoof black and baby oil for tail shine. i make my own hay nets with macramé twine.

The only ones I could think of were the sponges and using Tesco Shampoo. A big bottle (about 1l) only costs something like 30p, it smells nice and it lasts absolutely ages! :)

Last edited:
newrider.com