Using "non-horse" products to save money

Aqueous cream mixed with teatree oil for cuts, scrapes etc (the aqueous cream mosturises & the teatree oil is an antiseptic!)

And Miton (or shops own is even cheaper) and cider vinigar for treating thrush!

I use aqueous cream on hooves in dry weather - I am convinced Hoof Moist is aqueous cream with a different label and double the price!

I get cotton wool, Hibiscrub (MUCH cheaper than vet!), hydrogen peroxide, tea tree oil, methylated spirits and citronella oil (for flyspray) from the chemist, and Asda nappies for poulticing (fastened on with Duck Tape!).

Last edited:
*My Mum plated old tights to make replacement straps for rugs, esp good for under tail as they could be chucked if too pooee:D
*I buy cow food for my horses, much less money/bag and I just check the energy value to make sure it's not too high. Compare the contents of diff bags of horse and then cow food if unsure. They only get hard feed when very cold anyway as all are very good doers. It's keeping weight off my problem:confused:
*I also use pink udder cream for cuts etc, antiseptic, fly repellant and cheaper than horsy stuff.
*Charity shops are great for jackets, fleeces, ties for rider, and blankets for horses, dog beds etc.
Baler twine is used for everything, we get nice blue stuff on our bales:)
*If you can get together to buy in bulk, feed etc the feed firms will usually give a discount.
*Fairy antibacterial washing up liquid good for shampoo, but always test anything 1st, you can always use it up in kitchen!!

My little mare is prone to tangles and what I call 'twizzles' caused by the wind...i naturally have curly hair but since buying new straighteners my hairs good now, so I used up my old frizz free Smoothing Balm by Umbero gilliani (I think thats right) and just comb it through a few times a week and voilla her mane is amazing, you can by a tube of it for a couple of quid in boots and it goes a long way. And it makes them smell nice hehe

newrider.com