Who Rides Western?

I have tried it, but foudn it a bit strange.

I had a western instructor for about a year but i manly used my english saddle except on a few ocasions where he lent me his big western saddle when i was having a few bucking issus. you sit different, and I found it hard to rise to the trot.

I think i would like to try it again sometime as barrel racing looks great. and i have won two comps in my english saddle so it would be fun to do it properly at recognised shows.

Well I guess I could say I ride western..Ive only rode once or twice, but both times are western. Plus my uncles teaching me how to ride western...so I could say I ride western :D

I've been riding Western Pleasure for almost six years now, and I'm truly in love with the western show ring!!! However, as much as I love the quarter horses we have at the barn, I've got to say my true love is the Arabian. I learned to ride on a wonderful Arabian mare and boy was it fun! I barrel race on a big 16hh Arabian gelding, and boy do we have fun! I show hunt seat/western pleasure on a gorgeous half-arab pinto mare named Nique, and I've recently helped my trainer start her beautiful half-arabian pinto gelding who I'll be showing at the State Fair this fall, and at another show in December in the WP ring. They're definitely some great horses.

I own a paint horse myself, and I love my little tobiano baby's sweet personality and wonderful temperament! He's gonna be the best western show horse ever! He's only 16 months old right now, but boy is he a pretty boy! He's got a gorgeous conformation right now, and his legs are getting wider and are looking just superb in my opinion. I'm gonna have to take a picture of him tommorow, I just hope he's not too dirty...

Oh yes, the running walk is definitely a great gait to ride! I trail ride with my friend on her mom's TW. It's the second time I've ever ridden one, and the first one, although not a great horse in some aspects, was smoother than air at the lope. It felt like there was nothing underneath me. He had this stride that just ate up the ground. In my personal opinion, he would've made a great jumper. He was big, probably about 15.3-16hh. My friend's mom's horse is a big sweetie. He's probably about fifteen some hands high and boy is he a great trail mount. He has great transitions, and at the running walk my friend has to canter her little quarter horse to keep up with him!

I have been riding western for as long as that i have gotten my horse . About 4 years now i guess, i have tried english and really like that too. I really like riding western, its very relaxing and comfortable.

I've had my QH filly for 2 months now and I can't believe I ever considered getting any other breed (apart from Appaloosa).
I'm going to ride western with her once she is backed later this year.
It seems to be getting more popular in the UK, perhaps because it has a much more relaxed feel about it.
I can't wait to get riding!:D

Originally posted by Outrider
cappyneil, it is interesting that you mention a TW. I am riding a TW for a guy right now and when I try to get him into a lope, it seems like the front end is trying to cooperate, but the back end continues to trot! Is that what yours is doing? He is a great ride and has a fast trot you could ride all day that really covers ground!

I own a walking horse mare, and like to think i know a lot about gaited horses because they are my favorites:D !
To be honest, a lot of walking horses were never trained to canter, especially ones that were used in the Walking Horse Curcit. This "trot" you are trying to explain is most likely the rack. It takes a lot of knowlegdge to get an older walker that has already been trained to canter. Mine was always used in the Walking horse shows, so she didnt know how to canted when i got her, but by luck one day out on the trails, I randomly decided to ask her for it and she did it:)

I alway ride western, even when I boarded at a jumper barn.
There were only 2 of us there that rode western when I first got there, then more western boardes came and some of the english riders tried it and soon it was about 50 %.:)

Hummingbird you sound like me. My dad sad I started riding as soon as I could sit and I'm 24 now. Never ridden anything but western though I do love to watch dressage and show jumping.

I can't remember who posted about using the TB x-racer to ride western but it could be done. You'll probably have to spend a good amount of time teach him to slow down though. My dad ran quarter racehorses all while I was growing up, many of them turned into good western horses. (and hint hint, many of them had a good share of TB blood in them.) My favorite saying is that the only time TB blood hurts a QH is when he doesn't have any.

Last edited:
Re: QH's

Originally posted by JackiAH
Alright- I've started riding western (dabbling in it) about... oh... 6 months ago. In the last few, however, I have become WAY more serious about it, and instead of my first show being the afore-planned Short Stirrup, I'll be showing in the Walk/Jog 13 and under! I'm in Davie-ish Florida!

And a thing about QH's- I have a horse to prove that the Quarter Horse is truly versatile, and his name is Pal. He- was in the Regional Dressage Championships, can jump 4'6 easy, has the perfect Saddle-Seat trot, can do a Sliding Stop and various Reining er... techniques, was a Team Roping and All Around Rodeo Pony, and now is showing Western Pleasure with a 12 year old.

Did I mention that he was abused? And he stands at 14 hands high?

Talk about dynamite in a small package... *grins at OutRider*

-Jacki

Arabs can do all that too. Arabs are very VERY versitile. And crossing the Arab and QH makes an AWESOME and VERSITILE mount. Gotta love the Arabs and QH's AND Paints and Pintos!

;)

I've ridden western for 10yrs.I live in Minor Hill,TN.I ride a quater/thorobred.I am training a 2 yr old quarter.I love quarter horses.They're one of the most versatile breeds.I barrel race on mine.

hmmmi have been riding for... lets see...
(great i have to do math for this now...)

im 15 been riding since i was 4... ahh i know!!!
4+?=15 so the awnser is... ba ba ba bum...
11 years! but not counting this year it would be around 10ish years...

i just started english this year

i like western alot but who knows maybe i will like englsh too!

Heya. :) I ride Western and have been for about 7 years now. When I had a pony she did Barrels, Poles, and Western Pleasure classes-even though she didn't keep her head level. And after that I showed people's horses for them just in the Pleasure classes. Barrels are fun and exciting, but there's something about the competition in Western Pleasure that's addictive :) As for where I'm from, I'm from Alabama :)

Hey Cammie,
I've wanted to do barrels and poles. It looks like loads of fun. I luv showing in the Pleasure Classes. There are some competitive people in those classes. How did u stick with western for so long? I have trouble sticking to one dicipline

I have ridden western all my life. It is very fun. im from Arkansas. Its really neat cause there are many many many many trails to go on but we have a special place where we ride poles, barrels, etc.

newrider.com