Who Rides Western?

I now ride western on my Lusitano stud. He is 10yrs old and during his time has show jumped and competed in dressage riding English. I have had him in western for about a year now and he has been placed in trail and reining classes. I always get amazed reactions from the crowd when he does his lap of honour at the western show in piaffe, passage and Spanish walk wearing all his western tack.

Attachments

• tiga lying 1.jpg
    tiga lying 1.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 39
I have never ridden english, it's always been western for me and I've been riding for 11 years now. I'm a cowgirl and I gladly admit it! There's nothing like cowboy boots and cowboy hats! Country music is a must, but not this new crap, I like old stuff from Merle Haggard, George Strait, George Jones, Randy Travis, etc...

I love Kalypso!!

well I've been riding western for about like 2 yrs... I looooooooooove barrel racing!!!!!! It's soooooooooo much fun!!! My horse is a Quarter horse Morgan x and he loves going fast like me lol! He's 14.3 hands but faster than a Thoroughbred lol! :p Well I also like riding english... jumping and dressage are my things! lol! well could anyone give me some tips on Western Pleasure? I'd really like to try it next summer but I don't have alot of experience in the slow area of riding lol! fast is my stuff but I'd like trying slow a bit... o ya and Im from Bathurst New Brunswick Canada k? toodles

I ride Western! I have been doing so for...well my whole life...okay about 8 years, I am 17. I love speed-gaming, and barrel racing, but I dont show....I wish! I have a Paint gelding. He is a lovely western pleasure horse, he has such a lovely show lope (he was shown western pleasure for a couple of years), so he isent that great at barrel racing yet, but he is getting there.

But I also ride english a lot too, it really just depends on what horse I am riding. When riding other peoples horses, which I do a lot, I tend to ride then english, but with my gelding TJ I always ride him western.

I rode english ,dressage and huntseat , until last december .I had a bad fall and because I liked the idea of the horn to grab and the nice big stirrups ,I switched to western. My balance is better now and I have my confidence back but I think I will stay with western.Maybe get a nice western pleasure horse and start showing someday.And no , I am not saying that western is easier at all !!!! I know it's not,heck I suck at neckreigning still .

I trail ride in western gear, but this year I am going to start doing some cow work for fun with my horse Cisco. I can't wait to try it.

Hey!!

I've been riding for 20yrs in October. I fiddeled with English lessons and jumped for a while, but found it WAY to strict and boring for my likes. I was also riding western at the time. I love it... it's so relaxing.

I'm a first time horse owner, and my 3yo gelding and I are in the midst of neck-rein training and barrel training. We have our first show coming up on Saturday at a small town fair.

I'm from Sauble Beach, Ontario, Canada but am attending school in Kitchener Ontario.. so I'm not too far from you HunterGirl!! I used to have roomies from Brantford!

oh wow, this was a really old thread :D i ride western too, i used to ride english until my lesson horse foundered so i started riding my neighbors horse and she was western, that was about 5 or 6 years ago, havent switched back. usually i dotn bother to use a saddle so i guess i ride bareback more than western, but i dont own a english saddle, and i show western.

-meg

I have been riding western since I was...hmm...about 11 years of age..I am currently 13..but don't let my age fool you ;) ! I live in Georgia (the state that is) and I have my own horse, a 10 year old Appaloosa gelding. He has the build of a 15 hand quarter horse, but the legs of a pony :rolleyes: , mkaing him 14.2 hands. I have never tried riding English but I hope to get the chance to enjoy the experience one of these days...C'mon..if you live in Georgia, you gotta know how to ride like the rednecks!! :D

I have been told I am going to start ridding western. and I’m really looking forward to it.

My friend has a QH stallion she wants competed in western pleasure, and I have been asked to do it. Very exciting since I have never ridden a stallion before.

I have had two practice rides and we will be competing at the end of this month. He is a stunning big black boy. The practice rides were so exciting, he is really well trained at least compared to my horses standards. He does the jog and lope perfectly and is so responsive.

I'm actually nervous about competing and being looked at by all those people when I have only been ridding western a few times. But it should be fun anyway.

western riding

hi ive been doing western riding for about 10 mths haveing ridden english for 39 yrs ,i love it and so does my horse, we r hoping to compete next yr, if i can find a trainer,ive brought a western saddle for my pony so my grandchildren can learn,they love it cos they feel safe.

Who Rides Western

I learned to ride Western in Bodium, East Sussex and loved it, but it's quite a long way to go from where I live. I tried it with my mare and she took to it amazingly quickly. It does seem a much more relaxed way of riding and I don't get tense, because she doesn't.

She has never liked a strong contact, or the "correct" contact if you like, but she is very responsive from my leg and seat, so now I'm riding her again after quite a long break, and have just ordered a Western bridle. Hopefully, she will respond as she did before we both went "lame" :) and lose some of the stubbornness of the past, riding English in the school.

Roseanne

I ride western in an Aussie saddle- more comfortable for both me and the horses! Although, to be sure, I have sat in a western saddle that was as comfortable as my couch! Had a rather high price tag... :)

I have been riding for 1 year, first time horse owner, have a QH/appy cross and an arab mare. Love them both.

I ride western, and am 14 now, and my dad first put me on a horse western when i was six months, then we got that horse from my grandpa, and after he passed on, we got another one as payment for training his brother when I was 3, and we still have him, and at 6 I got my very own miniature, who is now 12, and I've been riding western ever since, and the saying, "when you fall of, get back on" has been very true all these yrs...lol its like a law that me and my sis have had to follow since we've never been hurt bad enuf we couldnt get back on...lol. I have to say that my sis likes english, but I couldnt ever get the hang of posting, etc. lol. and Now I have a 5 yr old AQHA roan gelding, Freedom (AKA) Booger, who likes wester better than english...and bareback with a rope around his neck better than anything....lol :)

Western is definitely a favourite in my books! I was English for 4 years of my riding, and then I have been western for 2 years. I love western for its reining, barrels, and poles. I think western is more relaxed than English. I'm not disagreeing with English at all, because sometimes I still grab the old English saddle, blow the dust off, and take the pony out for a English ride. He enjoys himself, as do I! I use to be hardcore dressage, but I figured I love speed as does both my geldings!! Reining is the Western Dressage;)

newrider.com