2018 Hacking/Riding challenge........ Add your photos and join in open to anyone.

Sonny unmounted 31.00 hrs
mounted 2.00 hrs

Another nice ride.;)

He was not silly at all in the big round pen at liberty.

I rode yesterday with a proper bridle and I do get
more finesse and am able to give more suttle cues.

I did a lot of play with cones again and trotting to cone to
halt right next to it do turn on forehand then on to next one etc.

When Virginia came out to ride she wanted to be in the ring alone so Sonny was fine hanging outside.
Then when she was done I went back in.
I did not put the cones back out.Virgina likes a sterile ring so I took them out when she came down.
Today is supposed to be decent again but tonite thru Sat.
will be high winds and possibly 4 inches of rain and a little snow.
Yesterday was actually warm enough to take off the
heavy coat.

IMG_6575.JPG

IMG_6576.JPG

IMG_6579.JPG

IMG_6582.JPG

Reactions: GaryB and Trewsers
Sonny unmounted 31.25 hrs
mounted 3.50 hrs

NICE early am ride it was warming up nice I could take my coat off again;)

I played with poles today and lots of trot.
Then Virginia saddled up and came out and I stayed in the ring
but tucked up in a corner by the mounting block for her to trot.
Her ring is gigantic but she felt more comfortable and sonny
is super to hang out someplace .
Then she saw a couple rocks that had come up when she dragge the ring last nite so she dismounted got them and remounted and we kept riding.
It was nice a very gentle breeze sun and just lovely overall.
Then we did a rideabout around the farm I asked her to keep going back to the ring to do another circle in there before being done so that no one gets the idea that oh we are out of the ring we are done.
It was such a nice ride.
Ugh to next couple days 60+ winds 4 inches of rain and possibly some snow but today was Glorious.

IMG_6595.JPG

IMG_6592.JPG

IMG_6601.JPG

IMG_6603.JPG
IMG_6609.JPG

IMG_6622.JPG

IMG_6625.JPG

Hope everyone is getting over the dreaded snow. We got it really bad during the week here but now you can't even tell it had ever snowed, and the temperature is nearing double figures!

Managed to get out for a hack, it was wet but not raining. We stuck to walk, a friend came along as well so we were just chatting really for the most part. I also popped in the school for 10 minutes afterwards but the boy's heart wasn't really in it - he's just had to change from hayledge to hay as he's had an upset stomach and he's not happy about it!

Total for the day was 3.9km in 50 minutes plus 10 minutes schooling.

Totals 39.45km in 8hrs30mins plus 115 minutes schooling

At last the snow has melted and I am about to get back on melody this week. My shelter blew over in the wind the last few days...so will be trying to salvage whatever I can of that this next while it might need taking to bits and new wood to get it sound again.

But looking forward to riding again light nights in a couple of weeks yay
:)

Sonny unmounted 33.75 hrs
mounted 3.50 hrs

Good play yesterday big rd pen footing was good overall
overcast and windy but not horrid out.
I played several times over a few hours.
At one point I'm playing and my husband is helping me get
the new rd pen ready raking out the area etc and I hear loud noise at first Why is he using a chain saw over there??
Then I realize its dirt bikes off in back near the laneway.
Omg have they ripped open the blockage of the laneway:eek::eek:
and are they going to fly thru the yard again.
And its really loud so seems close I'm ready I'm going to start the cameras Recording so if they fly thru SMILE.
I'm NOT a runner and have no wind to run and I'm flying down there and omg RELIEF when I see my fence across and signs are still there!.
YOU could see tracks to the little stream just off the property and they did not appear to cross it.
Thank god it seems to be staying secure.

The big rd pen was good for sonny to do lots of canter of his own choice but not he did not do a lot of crazy silly stuff.

There is a litte bit of ledge becoming exposed here and there
not a lot but you cant dig ledge out.
That goes way down in and like at the 33 acres there is ledge there too and if we had built there we would have had to blast to make the foundation.

To know exactly where the few spots are I sprayed the bottom of the fence panels and covered them deeply with wood chips on those spots for now and when I do the whole of the perimeter of that pen in wood chips I will know the spots that need to be kept xtra deep.
Over all it was a good day.

Today ugh we have snow not a lot but its going to continue til mid day. Hopefully it will stop and clear for some sort of play today.

Wed into thurs are going to be the bad days nasty winds again and more than 6 inches wet heavy snow.
Lots of places still don't have power and they for sure don't need this snow today or whats coming mid week.

. IMG_6975.JPG

Reactions: Trewsers and GaryB
I have the " I gallop " and "Balance rider"
set up in my clothes room.
I need to ride them more.

IMG_6986.JPG

IMG_6987.JPG

balancerider.com

I bought the balance rider at a Rescue booth at a tack sale a few years ago.
It was new and donated. OMG The price they are now is
Insane.
I did not pay anything near that!!!

Its very difficult and shows you how much work your CORE
needs.

Reactions: Trewsers and PePo
Just recently:

6 hours of either lunging on in-hand walking ... thanks snow-enforced no-turn out!

Then a 40 minute flat schooling session & 3 mile hack over the weekend.

Peye's got physio tomorrow, so fingers crossed he doesn't need too long iff post treatment. It would be nice to crack on for the Spring now :)

Hope we can all get more riding in soon.

Sonny unmounted 34.25 hrs
mounted 3.50 hrs

Really just did a walkabout with him yesterday.
The snow finally did stop and kind of evaporated by mid afternoon so I just did walkabout then put him in that back paddock.
It does not hurt to have some really easy days with no pressure on play etc for him.

Today is cold and ground is very hard but hopefully sun will
soften things up a bit.
I'm not sure what today will bring play or maybe riding but
another bad storm is coming tomorrow lots of heavy snow
for us 10-14 inches which is gonna bit the BIG TIME PITTS.
But much worse for the coast with flooding and many people still don't have power back. The grass will be covered again for
an extended time with that much snow so I will have to
bring his time up AGAIN gradually. I really worry about too much grass too quick.
We will be in 30's and low 40's f not 10f every day after the storm so there should be at least a little melt every day AND
WOO HOO time change is this Saturday nite so that's something to look foreward too.

It is looking a little greener over here so spring must be on the way!!

Me too - I was all set to get on board this weekend but then it snowed. Hopefully everything will come together on Saturday!

When will you be able to ride again?

When I find a job I guess! My ponies are still in France so I've had no contact with horses whatsoever this year bar 40 minutes at the start of January!

Reactions: GaryB
Sonny unmounted 34.50 hrs
mounted 4.25 hrs

Had a decent ride when the sun warmed up a bit.
It was actually quite nice.
Virginia's ring had some small tree branches debris here and there
so I used them as cones to play with. It was something different.
I had some great trot and I did play with both the I gallop and balance rider thing this am.
After loosening up on the I gallop it was easier to actually do some balancing on the balance rider.
Its very very touchy and sensitive and it for sure does not take much for you to loose balance on it.

With any luck I may get a ride in tomorrow morning before the bad weather starts.

Reactions: GaryB
Glorious day here on Orkney so what better than to tack up and go?! Hmm. After de mudding prince Zi (which meant trasnferance of mud onto my face and hair) and tacking him up we discovered that his front boots no longer fit:(boo hiss. Mr T tried a little walk down the drive on him to test the water without but turned back as he said it didn't feel right and I agree - he did the right thing there. Farrier coming next Wednesday to trim but have a feeling due to hoof shape change (they are getting wider / spreading) we will be buying new hoof boots! Anyway, doea sitting on him for ten minutes count?!!!:D

Reactions: GaryB and HaloHoney
5.36 miles today! No photos as it rained the majority of the hack! Had one scary moment where a dog in a garden chased us along the fence line, normally would only do a little jump but did break in to trot, think i made it worse because it was totally silent then the dog barked and i almost jumped out of me skin too! We survived it though he was quite panicked must have felt as if it was chasing him as it ran along the fence line and this was a real nasty bark and prj must have known it too because my dogs bark at him and he doesnt flinch... Il remember that for next time!

newrider.com