2019 Hacking/Riding Thread

A strange weekend for me. On Friday I had to take OH to hospital for knee surgery, so then I was on my own for the weekend.

Saturday was a nice quiet hack before it got too hot, then mucking out Harvey and feeding the foster ponies, then supervising out yard groom while she rode, then a quick trip to the annual sale at the local tack shop, then an hours drive to visit OH in hospital.

On Sunday I practiced jumping in the school over a small course of jumps - they weren't too big I just used them as they were, and then jobs and off to hospital again.

Monday was a bank holiday in the UK so another jumping session, stable jobs, trip to the pub for lunch with the stable friends, and then off to hospital to collect OH.

In other news I am now the proud owner of a very large white van which one day will be Harvey's new transport :)

Sorry no time for piccies this week :(

Hacking
1 hour
4.5 miles

Schooling
1 hour

Totals
Schooling
26 hours 20

Hacking
231 miles
59 hours 45

Sonny unmounted 71.25 hrs
Mounted 12.50 hrs
Andi unmounted 1.75 hrs

Ugh I'm so far behind I was not getting new updates :mad:
It has been a nasty hot July third hottest on record.
I have been trying to do a little bit of play and legging him up walking really early on the road
after I feed him. Then get him in the rd pen til the sun comes around.
Been doing a little bit of play and trying to get out later in evening but oh I SOOOOOOOOOO
WANT FALL...
I did get my patterns for the challenge to compete by video and did set them up.
It was a big learning experience I did set some stuff up too crowded and WE ARE NOT
REALLY used to trying to video and sigh have it TOTALLY STOP and re start as a new video.

Ive only ridden 3 times in the last few months.
I really need to get working on that....
BUT first evening ride went ok I just kind of played a bit with the patterns a little
it was still kind of hot but UNEVENTUFULL..
Second ride couple nites later I come around large bush a family of turkeys jumped in or jumped out just the other side hes not spooky but he made 4 gigantic leaps to the righto_Oo_O:eek::eek:.
Thankfully I was still on at the end of that :p
but it did take a few minuters to put my heard out of my throat back in my chest.

The rest of the ride was uneventful thannk god...
And I did a little more playing a bit with the patterns.
Due to the heat the dealine to get video in was extended.

Toni and I played near the deadline.
She and levi had gotten stung in the barn then she got stung near the arena over there.
So she did not end up getting on.

I was going to try to get a video.
It started well over tarp ploles etc then around to the trash can hve to hit a ball into ..
I had forgotten to take the ball out....
So we had to start again...
That one was not as good as the other one had been going:rolleyes: but...
I got it completed..;)

I start to do it again get around to over the poles and he gets STUNG buy someting and turns into A RODEO HORSE...:eek::eek::eek:o_Oo_Oo_O:mad::mad::mad:

Thankfully I stayed on ;) it was on the video cause it was in the middle of
the pattern but that was the end of my riding for the eveining..

I went as far as the mounting block and my legs felt like spagetti..

It turned out the video only paused not toatlly reset so the only complete one was in hte middle.
It was too big to send so I brought my phone down to her to view and judge the one pattern i did complete...
I never got the other patterns videoed.

Its a totally new learning experience with video and rome wasn't built in a day...

I had fun and learned a lot and there is another series in September and the weather should be better... and I make sure each video attempt does become its own separate thing.

Woo hoo I guess I got a 5th ( and there were more than 5):p:)

View attachment 99372
View attachment 99376View attachment 99375View attachment 99374View attachment 99373

View attachment 99378View attachment 99379View attachment 99380View attachment 99377
How come EVERYONE has someone to take photos except me!!!??? I'm a right billy-no-mates lol. I'm going to stop random people in the forest and make them take pics.

Sonny unmounted 79.25 hrs
Mounted 15.25 hrs
Andi unmounted 1.75 hrs

I don't seem to get the updates sigh not sure whats changed.
Ill have to go back up a bunch of pages to catch up on everyones fun.
The weather has finally started to change slowly.
More cooler days rather than steamy hot.
There is a bit of a crisp feel in a lot of the mornings and woo hoo
to wearing a sweat shirt.
I have been able to use my little cavaletti pen much more and I even rode during the day on the road on a sunny day cause the sun that day was not so blairing horrible hot...
I am really looking foreward to the next set of challenges for September.
the weather will be better and I went to the meeting a week ago sat and there will be a few changes which will be awesome for the last one this year and starting next year.
This year the last set.. instead of a set here to there to there pattern.
Every class will get a LIST of the obstacles. You set them up any order any place you want and ride them in any configuration. Just the actual riding of the obstacle will be judged.
That will work out so much better and a couple places have lots of compeditors on many different clases all lessoning and at the meeting the woman said it was
hard there is not enough room for multiple multiple coruses to be set and some
did have the same obstacle crossover but but at oposite ends of the arena.
Im really REALLY thrilled for this change caus i found it hard to try to set my 3 up
and had kind of crammed too much.
Next year there will be an over 50 woo hoo.
Ground bees have been really bad sigh. I have gotten stung twice in areas i had
play just the prior day in my little rope rd pen and one of my large ones on the hill.
I had started to use the flag so im NOT TOTALLY sure if the swoosh of the flag
did not set them off cause both times Sonny was fine in both places prior to me
starting to do liberty.
EEE has been quite bad just over the border in MA. 4 humans have gotten it one has died and 2 horses have contracted it in rather close border towns.
I vaccinate for everything but there is no human vaccine or treatment.
Many places have stopped all evening activity and closed all parks etc from dusk to dawn.
The virus has been found now in southern RI. but thankfully no human or horse cases yet.
This weekend is Labor Day weekend with one of the BIGGEST horse shows in the area with 229 classes at the Woodstock fair.
Its such close quarters in past years there have been some outbreaks of things.
People come from far and wide.
Im looking foreward to much more riding and super play as the weather becomes
more fall like.

l the weather continues to become more fall like.View attachment 99620
View attachment 99621

View attachment 99622
That first pic is stunning!

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
A strange weekend for me. On Friday I had to take OH to hospital for knee surgery, so then I was on my own for the weekend.

Saturday was a nice quiet hack before it got too hot, then mucking out Harvey and feeding the foster ponies, then supervising out yard groom while she rode, then a quick trip to the annual sale at the local tack shop, then an hours drive to visit OH in hospital.

On Sunday I practiced jumping in the school over a small course of jumps - they weren't too big I just used them as they were, and then jobs and off to hospital again.

Monday was a bank holiday in the UK so another jumping session, stable jobs, trip to the pub for lunch with the stable friends, and then off to hospital to collect OH.

In other news I am now the proud owner of a very large white van which one day will be Harvey's new transport :)

Hacking
1 hour
4.5 miles

Schooling
1 hour

Totals
Schooling
26 hours 20

Hacking
231 miles
59 hours 45
I'm surprised you're not meeting yourself coming back!

I don't have someone often for photos
Ohhhh yes GO FOR IT..
ask someone you see to take some.

Garyb is your new transport similar all contained....????

We don't see those here much.
Very rarely and larger.

I love the idea of yours...

Reactions: Trewsers

Hacking
1 hour
4.5 miles

Schooling
1 hour

Totals
Schooling
26 hours 20

Hacking
231 miles
59 hours 45

Wow that was one busy bank holiday weekend! Hope your OH is okay too :)

Hogan continues to be pretty good, but today, oh so slow! Still, got through a bunch of ponies, one of whom trotted towards us, until she realised there was a rider on board. Not much reaction from Hogan. AND - I finally got the nerve up to ask for a canter! He didn't do it, but at least I know I can ask, without the mini rodeo ensuing - just non compliance! Lovely morning, and just to rub salt in the wound, he cantered down the field with great gusto when we got back :mad: (he did look pretty though!)Screenshot_20190829-103459_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20190829-102010_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20190829-101616_Video Player.jpg

Yesterday's session in the round pen was "interesting". Hmm. We didn't over do it (god forbid the ginger one works harder than necessary:p) but he realised he was in there to work. We had some rebellion and floor sniffing - pre curser to rolling with him. But I managed to keep it together (bit hairy at one point with 17hh worth of squealy warmblood looming) and we ended on a reasonable note.
At one point he pretended there was something he could see behind one of the barns - funny how when we'd finished he walked up and past it without any bother:rolleyes:
I think it's going to take a while - but it's worth putting the effort in - least that's what I keep telling myself.................

Yesterday's session in the round pen was "interesting". Hmm. We didn't over do it (god forbid the ginger one works harder than necessary:p) but he realised he was in there to work. We had some rebellion and floor sniffing - pre curser to rolling with him. But I managed to keep it together (bit hairy at one point with 17hh worth of squealy warmblood looming) and we ended on a reasonable note.
At one point he pretended there was something he could see behind one of the barns - funny how when we'd finished he walked up and past it without any bother:rolleyes:
I think it's going to take a while - but it's worth putting the effort in - least that's what I keep telling myself.................
Well done! Must say, I'd find 17hh of anything daunting! What's with today though? Hogan was glaring at stuff and half passing at things too! Change of season? Definitely nippy this morning.

Well done! Must say, I'd find 17hh of anything daunting! What's with today though? Hogan was glaring at stuff and half passing at things too! Change of season? Definitely nippy this morning.

You could be right about change of season. Yesterday was a bit autumnul even for here in parts. Lol to Hogan glaring at stuff - don't you just love it when they do that?! Mr T's old horse used to give things "horsey evils" if he didn't like the look of them!

How come EVERYONE has someone to take photos except me!!!??? I'm a right billy-no-mates lol. I'm going to stop random people in the forest and make them take pics.
I am lucky as OH and I are pretty into photography. Nothing like a through the ears photo though :) I also have done just what you said - got a random person to grab a pic :)

When I first joined back in whenever, my girl was 4. Last week, not having ridden her for weeks I hopped on. The old girl only offered me a perfect rear engined sitting trot! My only explanation is 24/7 turnout on 5 acres on the side of a 1 in 3 hill. She lives on the edge of the moor, so grazes on grass, gorse, moss trees and whatever else comes her way.
( The jockey let the side down and got cramp in me bum! Maybe I need barefoot 24/7 turnout?)

Went out with Lunan and Ellie and Melody down the road to the bridle way this time we went all the way down to the river bank.. they were much less stoppy starty this time feeling braver as they knew the way it’s a lovely ride on a lane surrounded by hedges both sides..... on the way back just as we got to the road a giant tractor with hipuge implement rattling on the back went past I nearly had a heart attack lol but other than that we had a very pleasant evening hack...I can see this being a regular occurrence

.80225F75-0EAE-4830-B620-EF8CD83A0A09.jpeg66ED3343-3771-4B9A-94F9-3CA2458BF6E6.jpeg

Went out on Friday, as I knew a busy weekend was coming up. Kept it simple, and we both enjoyed ourselves. He doesn't seem bored with our limited rides yet, but really must venture further soon! Took him out today, and realised I'd left my whip behind - I don't even really tap him with it, just brush it against him, behind the saddle, but even that makes a difference. So of course, it was sods law that we met 3 ponies milling around at the top of the hill, and another one about 20 feet away, shouting it's head off, obviously looking for someone who wasn't with them. Dead stop, and me flapping my legs like a Thelwell kid. Luckily a couple I'd chatted to earlier, and mentioned about my whip, brought me a stick, and finally we got going. Embarrassing. :rolleyes: Looking on the positive side, 3 months ago we'd have had a mini bucking/rearing session, so all good. Why do they do these things whentjeres an audience!!!???

Went out on Friday, as I knew a busy weekend was coming up. Kept it simple, and we both enjoyed ourselves. He doesn't seem bored with our limited rides yet, but really must venture further soon! Took him out today, and realised I'd left my whip behind - I don't even really tap him with it, just brush it against him, behind the saddle, but even that makes a difference. So of course, it was sods law that we met 3 ponies milling around at the top of the hill, and another one about 20 feet away, shouting it's head off, obviously looking for someone who wasn't with them. Dead stop, and me flapping my legs like a Thelwell kid. Luckily a couple I'd chatted to earlier, and mentioned about my whip, brought me a stick, and finally we got going. Embarrassing. :rolleyes: Looking on the positive side, 3 months ago we'd have had a mini bucking/rearing session, so all good. Why do they do these things whentjeres an audience!!!???

Argh! They always do it when there's people watching don't they?! Glad you managed to get going again - well done, I'd have been flapping and then given up!!!

More lunge time yesterday for us. Not good. Hmm. Now it could be a few things. Could be the change in weather - I think last year he was a bit squealy and daft from memory. Could be that, or the fact that I've been using an improved lunge whip :rolleyes: I foolishly thought he'd not really need it and that I could recreate the "triangle" to stop him coming in etc with a longer length schooling whip. Wrong! Yesterday I don't mind admitting it, I had to hand the line over to Mr T who took over. I must say though, I'm glad both of us ALWAYS wear our riding hats when lunging. You should have seen the acrobatics!!!

Argh! They always do it when there's people watching don't they?! Glad you managed to get going again - well done, I'd have been flapping and then given up!!!
I so nearly did, but then I thought of the long term, and how far he's come from my "getting off" days. Can't deny though, to the audience's ears I was saying "WALK ON, COME ON WALK ON!" but, oh so quietly, I was leaning towards his ear, saying "If you don't move, you little sh** ......." :mad: :p

More lunge time yesterday for us. Not good. Hmm. Now it could be a few things. Could be the change in weather - I think last year he was a bit squealy and daft from memory. Could be that, or the fact that I've been using an improved lunge whip :rolleyes: I foolishly thought he'd not really need it and that I could recreate the "triangle" to stop him coming in etc with a longer length schooling whip. Wrong! Yesterday I don't mind admitting it, I had to hand the line over to Mr T who took over. I must say though, I'm glad both of us ALWAYS wear our riding hats when lunging. You should have seen the acrobatics!!!
I'm full of admiration for anyone lunging - haven't dared try it with big bum yet. Don't suppose Mr T fancies a trip down south?

newrider.com