2019 Hacking/Riding Thread

Lovely sunny but cold day today.... the outdoor school wasn’t frozen so I had a 45 min lesson outdoors.... lots of trot work figures of eight , circles and serpentine with lots of transition..... I was out of puff after 45 mins but I am loving being back riding tomorrow will try go a mini hack. ...either solo or in company if anyone is at the stables.

Saddler came today - lovely lovely guy. Hogan doesn't like men, but took to him immediately. Tried a couple of T4's - 16 and 16.5 and both fitted with the white gullet. I brought out my maxam which I'd been unsure of, and he said it was actually quite a good fit. Did a bit of flocking and then we went through H's history - ie ex riding school, turned away for 2 years then to me, and how he'd behaved under this same saddle (only rode once with it.) He felt that maybe Hogans reaction was mental rather than physical - remembered pain, so to speak. He thought maybe if I rode him exactly as I ride bareback - ie lead to forest gate, mount from block inside gate, then just walk, no trotting for a few rides, Hogan might get over thinking this is going to be uncomfortable. Will give this a go. Have to say my boy was a superstar - stood like a wee rock for nearly an hour and a half - this from not being able to stand still for 5 minutes a few months ago. Very proud of him. And thanks for all the good vibes - worked!

Only 40 mins hack today, but wa-hey! with saddle!!!! Did as saddler suggested ie exactly what we'd do bareback, and he was good as gold. Difficult though - my heart was saying "trot trot trot" but my head won and we walk walk walked! Need a new girth as with one I've got it's a fight to the death getting it tightened. Knackered before I even got on!

I remembered at last, couldn’t get the words in with the photos but we have done another 7 miles, these are just along the lane from the ford, those piles of logs are where HS2 are stripping woodland to make way for the white elephant :confused:

P.s sorry Belle is soooo grubby, the bits that matter are clean though :oops:

Total: 31 miles

Last edited:
I only worry about the important bits too.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sonny unmounted 9.25 hrs
Mounted 3.75 hrs

Good liberty in my little cavaketti pen yesterday.
The sun was out and no horrible 50 mph winds like the day before.
The temps were just cold enough to keep my footing in there from getting
Churned up.

Toni and I are watching tomorrows weather closely for when the snow will start.
It seems forever since we have played.

I remembered at last, couldn’t get the words in with the photos but we have done another 7 miles, these are just along the lane from the ford, those piles of logs are where HS2 are stripping woodland to make way for the white elephant :confused:

P.s sorry Belle is soooo grubby, the bits that matter are clean though :oops:

Total: 31 miles
That's grubby? (Hangs head in shame). Think I need to revise my standards lol :D What MASSIVE amounts of logs! Quite sad to see.

What is the white elephant???
HS2 is going to be what we call a ‘white elephant’ just an expression we use here for something ridiculously expensive that is pretty much useless.
The HS2 is a train line that will run the length and breadth of the uk travelling through some of the most beautiful and special countryside we have, but who cares about ancient woodland, water meadows, pastureland or buildings as long as it gets built, it’s costing this country billions of pounds and will be so expensive to travel on it’s unlikely it will ever recoup the financial cost to build it, as for the ecological cost I can’t even talk about it, it breaks my heart, bit like the fracking nightmare.

One hour hack yesterday with his bestie, the cob mare across the lane(gorgeous!). Behaved very well under saddle again, despite howling wind, and a sudden onslaught of driving rain. She's wonderful company for him - very calm and laid back. Her owner's quite happy to just walk, so it suits us all. One hour hack today, alone, but a bit naughty and nappy being led to forest gate, hope that changes when I start mounting at the yard. Otherwise behaved well. I lost my battle with myself on the last hundred yards before home - had a teeny trot, and although he was slightly shocked at being asked, he gave me a lovely 20 strides or so. He looks so different with a saddle, and the new girth came today and looks HUGE! Beside dining table to provide perspective!20190209_105706.jpg20190211_114715.jpg

I only worry about the important bits too.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sonny unmounted 9.25 hrs
Mounted 3.75 hrs

Good liberty in my little cavaketti pen yesterday.
The sun was out and no horrible 50 mph winds like the day before.
The temps were just cold enough to keep my footing in there from getting
Churned up.

Toni and I are watching tomorrows weather closely for when the snow will start.
It seems forever since we have played.
Lord! You expecting more snow?! I shan't ever complain about the diddy little flurries we get again! Hats off to you, still doing it all in such weather!

Ahh ok I knew the term white elephant but did not know what it was referring to.
It is a shame to destroy lovely areas for WHITE ELEPHANTS.

PEOPLE ARE NOT MUCH MORE SANE HERE.

A woman is preposing total green energy only by 2030
Elimanate all airplanes and cars.
No one needs a car everyone can take the train. Airplanes not needed.
AND ALL FARM ANIMALSo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

The scary thing is this is not a Saturday night live tv scit.
This is a real statement.

Its always been said truth is STRANGER THAN FICTION:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

hmm how many bales of hay will I shove on a train????

Some people are clueless that the world doesn't not end at the edge of the city.

Huggy
yes I try to freelunge at liberty as much as I can even if riding is not feasible.

I am really REALLY looking foreward to spring this year.

Its been so much snow then rain on top making slop you just cant shift.
THANK GOD it will be avove freezing Wed and Thurs and not
a flash freeze to ZERO f like a couple weeks ago
That was really REALLY bad.IMG_8039.JPG

LOL he was pretty grubby yesterday

Forgot to update..... it's been a busy time for me and again, the weather has impacted my riding. We've managed a couple of hacks though and I can't count any of the time we spent at the jumpy competition. Figures at the mo are:

Time in saddle. 12 hours
Groundwork: 2hrs 40 mins
Hacking dist: 42.6 miles.

Huggy
yes I try to freelunge at liberty as much as I can even if riding is not feasible.

I am really REALLY looking foreward to spring this year.

Its been so much snow then rain on top making slop you just cant shift.
THANK GOD it will be avove freezing Wed and Thurs and not
a flash freeze to ZERO f like a couple weeks ago
That was really REALLY bad.View attachment 96968

LOL he was pretty grubby yesterday
I suppose having had a grey, who I COULD NEVER GET CLEAN! and now an almost black one who shows very little dirt (Unless I sit on him) my standards have definitely nosedived! Still, a pretty horse is a pretty horse, dirt and all! Spring must be a massive relief for you!

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
newrider.com