2019 Hacking/Riding Thread

Had a lovely short hack this morning, through the fields :D with a tiny bit of road work on the way home, have to say I'm really looking forward to summer when we can do lots more 'off road' exploring. Oh and we did 3 miles yesterday too. Thanks to @Jane&Ziggy we now have a very snazzy pair of boots for her hinds which fit her beautifully and work like a charm. Only problem now is finding some for the front as the gloves are only on loan and to be honest now we've tried the Renegades I want those for the front too!

Total: 16 miles

I was lucky with the weather this weekend as snow was forecast for Friday night. Saturday morning was grey and drizzley, but happily devoid of snow. Harvey and and had another SJ clinic at a local venue. I rode a lot better this week and we are both sorting out how the brakes work with the new bridle and bit. He goes much better in it - I I must take some photos and do a report in the main forum.

One of my fellow liveries is an eventer and she is starting fittening work for the season which means I now have a hacking buddy for a while at least. We had a nice hack around the lanes and are planning a visit to the forest next week.

Sadly I have no photos as my OH had "technical" issues with the camera :(

Schooling
60 minutes

Hacking
90 minutes
5.75 miles

Totals

Schooling
2 hours 30

Hacking
17.5 miles
4 hours 40 minutes

Anyone riding playing etc. PLEASE POST PHOTOS:);)

Its been AWFUL HERE The Snow than rain and FLASH FREEZE with temps at 0f and high of
6f have been horrid:eek::eek:o_Oo_Oo_O:mad::mad::mad:

Thanfully we did NOT loose power but even as of late yesterday all the trees are STILL
full of heavy ice.

Walking is very hard The heavy full size pickup does not break thru.
Its hard for all the animals/ Places I tried to make paths were almost WORSE
with heavy rain making bad ice puddles.IMG_7452.JPGIMG_7465.JPGIMG_7458.JPGIMG_7472.JPGIMG_7477.JPGIMG_7487.JPGIMG_7482.JPGIMG_7449.JPGIMG_7433.JPG

A foot of snow would have been so much better to deal with than the 4 inches then muck rain and ice on top .

For a little while this looked REALLY PRETTY
LASTING INTO SEVERAL DAYS with out melting the bloom is really off the
prettiness of it:mad:

Things iced up soooooo bad I had to carry a hammer to try to knock thick ice off
gate latches.
We had sun the last few days but it was so cold it did nothing:(.

Yesterday went to about 26f compared to below zero F and then high of 6f it felt so warm
:rolleyes:o_O but not enough to do much
Today thank god will go to 40f rain tonite then near 50f tomorrow with heavy heavy rain all day.

This is the longest lasting ICE on the trees I have EVER SEEN.

I hope the bit of warmth the next couple days makes it so that the horses
can break thru a bit
ive tried to sparingly spread a little it of wet shavings to help with traction so they can move about.
It one thing for me to walk on top and the goats but when you see a full size pickup and the horses not breaking thru that's a bit scary.
The roads are still amost solid ice cause its been far too cold for salt to do anyting

I feel very snowbound cabin o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Ofever.

I have a horrible craving for WAFFLES:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Early Saturday when we got out a few hours before the storm started everything was mobbed
gridlock stores gas station and ugh I forgot my list.

So I forgot waffles sigh.

I hope its not too long before ground clears to do some sort of play.
But right now ill be happy with safely walking !!!!

IM JUST SOOOOOO GLAD
I set up 2 xtra 16 gal heated buckets as reserve to dip into and top off the 16 gal in each of their areas The hydrants would have been hard to use.
I put a bucket over the top but even the blowing of the freezing rain got on the quick
connect for the short hose icing it up totally.
Water was not a worry and they drank LOTS which is good!!!:)

I look at all the exciting challenging stuff everyone's doing on here, and feel a bit of a fraud - we're so boring lol. However, here's my teeny tiny contribution:rolleyes:! Having got Hogan in the summer after he'd been field bound for 2 years and I've not ridden for 5, we've been taking it very slow. No saddle, so walks, bareback, for 5 months.(saddler booked for start of Feb). Been getting him used to me first, (his manners were a bit rusty ) then going out. He's lazy, but steady. Working on getting past planting his feet and saying 'nope'. That's improved massively with each outing. Now opening gates with ease, going past forest ponies, (Oh the horror of it!), also much improved. Was away for a week last week, and wondered how he'd be. Took him out this morning, and what a good boy! Not one stop, even past ponies, and stood beautifully while I chatted to someone on the way home ( 3 months ago that would have started head tossing and stamping). It doesn't sound like much, but I came into the yard on cloud 9. Love my new boy (still love my old boy!).:)

@Huggy seriously don’t worry about what you are doing, it’s not boring, I don’t do much at all and I sometimes think how other people must view what we do, but, firstly, no one here cares how much or how little anyone does and secondly as long as YOU and your pony enjoy what you do it really doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks.
Everyone here is nothing but encouraging and supportive of everyone else’s efforts, big or small. One of the reasons I love this thread.

@Huggy seriously don’t worry about what you are doing, it’s not boring, I don’t do much at all and I sometimes think how other people must view what we do, but, firstly, no one here cares how much or how little anyone does and secondly as long as YOU and your pony enjoy what you do it really doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks.
Everyone here is nothing but encouraging and supportive of everyone else’s efforts, big or small. One of the reasons I love this thread.
Thank you - it's one of the things I've liked since I've joined - everyone is indeed encouraging and supportive. Lovely to be able to say " Look what I did today! " no matter how trivial it was, and no one says "Is that all?" :)

Yes yes with knobs on!!!:D:D

Not had a good riding week. The weather has been a bit hit and miss. Gracie was lunged for 20 mins and schooled for 15 mins straight afterwards on Tuesday. Thursday she was lunged again for 20 mins. Today we got a break in the weather and had a lovely 1hr 45 min hack with Jill n Albs again.

Time in saddle: 10 hrs 50 mins
Groundwork 2 hrs 40 mins
Hacking distance 36.6 miles

Sonny unmounted 5.30 hrs
Mounted. 3 .75 hrs

It was a horrible weather week
with all the ice snow artic cold then flooding rain.:mad::(

Finally got out and played yesterday and tried the shorter girth on one of the sursingles.
It works but I would like something even shorter and I see they are available online .

It was REALLY gusty windy so rather than long line I just did some normal lunge play.

We have another round of sloppy mess due lateTuesday afternoon into Wed. :(:mad: Then AGAIN more 0 f cold:eek::eek::eek:
but this time I think its not going to be quite as fast a flash freeze as last week.
IMG_7517.JPG
EVERY DAY IS ONE DAY CLOSER TO SPRING:);):p

I got some really really soft second cut (actually it may be 3rd or 4th cut) from a place I had forgotten about
cause I never go past it.
I get some nice second the other direction but this was satin ribbon soft and sooooooo deep green almost like fresh grass.
I think it was 3rd or 4th cause it had a small amount of fall leaves in it so it was cut very late.IMG_7562.JPG

It makes a nice addition to the 2 good first cut I am getting from different places and the other good secoIMG_7576.JPGIMG_7585.JPGIMG_7596.JPGIMG_7569.JPGnd.
and LOL 3 out of the 4 places are all the same distance in different directions.
All about 13 miles not too horribly far.
The one first cut is about 6.
Its good to have really good options available.
You can kind of see a little of the other really nice second under his belly

behind him below the hay bag.
This hay I got yesterday is much much greener and the other second
is quite nice and green.
I have not seen this really soft soft green CANDY HAY in a long time.

newrider.com