2019 Hacking/Riding Thread

Well - I've failed again, another week without photos. I will try to do better next week.

On Saturday I had a trip out with S, one of my fellow liveries. We've ridden together before but not had a trip out. We went to the Wyre Forest and did the shorter route of 5 1/2 miles. We had nice weather and the horses behaved nicely.

Sunday's weather was not so nice - windy cold and occasional hail. I took the YO's veteran round the block with her riding her SJ horse, and then I took Harvey in the school for a bit. Harvey was a bit excited and kept taking off with me in canter, but I did get a bit of decent work out of him.

Hacking
7.5 miles
2 hours

Schooling
20 minutes

Totals

Schooling
2 hours 50

Hacking
25 miles
6 hours 40 minutes

Well, wasn't going to go out today, as there was a bitter wind and H was filthy. But he followed me along the fenceline and I misinterpreted this as a desire to go out.:rolleyes:. Don't have a go pro so didn't capture the horror of the fact that they've cut back the hedge on the fenceline on the lane (sideways prancy dancy for 100 yds), or the pony eating car parked in the car park (nostrils like dinnerplates), oh, and last post I was all happy clappy about the feet planting getting better - fooled me on that one. 5 full minutes on dead stop. Won't trust that face looking longingly over the fence next time. Sigh.20190126_173010.jpg

Well another short 3 mile pootle yesterday, sorry for the total lack of photo's... I either forget or it's too cold to get my fingers out of my gloves to use the phone, note to self 'must try harder' I still need a photo of the 'Camel tree'

Hacking total: 24 miles

Sonny unmounted 6.00 hrs
Mounted. 3 .75 hrs

Trying to get a bit of ground play in in case things get really bad again.
Supposidly the 0 f cold and day temps of 11f are supposed to be the worse of this storm
and not a lot of rain snow and ice really not mentioned.
The rain will be first then snow so hopefully no frozen slush.
BUT THEY CAN ALWAYS BE WRONGo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Just did some liberty play in SIMG_7679.JPGIMG_7683.JPGonnys paddock yesterday.
He was very cute when he stopped tried to put on his cutest looks do we REALLY
have to do this?????

Bitterly cold and didn't feel like going out, but did and very glad I did. Hogans previous owner was very honest, and said he hates being in the school, so at the moment, hacks are our schooling time. Managing the most basic things, but seeing a difference each couple of rides. Today we did halts (his pet hate) and he did really well - barely stropped at all. Also turning small circles on both reins - very stiff on the left rein. My main aim is to get him to accept I'm the boss (falls down laughing hysterically), and that doing as he's asked makes life easier. Saddler coming next Wed.20190202_100716.jpg20190202_100917.jpg

Sonny unmounted 7.00 hrs
Mounted. 3 .75 hrs

Finally got a bit warmer im really tired of single digits in the am and really cold and ice.
Things softened up a bit so I played in the arena quietly lunging.

He got a little bit wired and fired but thankfully not horrible.
He had some head up Tail up prancy snorty but no big time silly pants.

As much as the prancy stuff is pretty I really love the LONG AND LOW.;)
IMG_7813.JPGIMG_7818.JPGIMG_7821.JPGIMG_7825.JPGIMG_7847.JPGIMG_7808.JPG
Today and tomorrow are supposed to be warmer yet then mostly rain Wed -
Fri.
and SO FAR no artic blast to 0 f :eek::eek::eek: showing its ugly head after:)

Hopefully Toni and I can resume our play days tomorrow :D:D:D

IMG_7791.JPGIMG_7778.JPGIMG_7799.JPG

Sonny unmounted 7.00 hrs
Mounted. 3 .75 hrs

Finally got a bit warmer im really tired of single digits in the am and really cold and ice.
Things softened up a bit so I played in the arena quietly lunging.

He got a little bit wired and fired but thankfully not horrible.
He had some head up Tail up prancy snorty but no big time silly pants.

As much as the prancy stuff is pretty I really love the LONG AND LOW.;)
View attachment 96845View attachment 96846View attachment 96847View attachment 96848View attachment 96849View attachment 96844
Today and tomorrow are supposed to be warmer yet then mostly rain Wed -
Fri.
and SO FAR no artic blast to 0 f :eek::eek::eek: showing its ugly head after:)

Hopefully Toni and I can resume our play days tomorrow :D:D:D

View attachment 96851View attachment 96852View attachment 96850
Well photographically the prancy dancy is very eye-catching!

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
We were so lucky with our weekend weather - it was quite cold (4c max) but no snow.

On Saturday I was still playing baby sitter for the YO (she has broken ribs and even without that can't hack her competition horse solo) so it was just a quick ride around the block. In the afternoon I took Harvey in the school and did some gridwork using a square of poles at about 20cm. Harvey was being a bit of an idiot spooking and everything so after realising I wasn't going to achieve what I wanted I decided to call it a draw.

On Sunday I have booked my first SJ clinic at 90cm, but it was cancelled because only 2 people had booked. I then rebooked to ride elsewhere with the other person that had booked, but she then cancelled which made the arena hire too expensive so in the end I had a lesson at home. We started out by continuing to try and improve the consistency of my paces, and the moved on to riding a figure of 8 with a jump at X to try and sort out my landings. I'm stil not very good but getting better!

Sometimes I wish I had a bay!
i-dLhHZXm-X2.jpg

Hacking
1.8 miles
30 minutes

Schooling
55 minutes

Totals

Schooling
3 hours 45

Hacking
26.8 miles
7 hours 10 minutes

We were so lucky with our weekend weather - it was quite cold (4c max) but no snow.

On Saturday I was still playing baby sitter for the YO (she has broken ribs and even without that can't hack her competition horse solo) so it was just a quick ride around the block. In the afternoon I took Harvey in the school and did some gridwork using a square of poles at about 20cm. Harvey was being a bit of an idiot spooking and everything so after realising I wasn't going to achieve what I wanted I decided to call it a draw.

On Sunday I have booked my first SJ clinic at 90cm, but it was cancelled because only 2 people had booked. I then rebooked to ride elsewhere with the other person that had booked, but she then cancelled which made the arena hire too expensive so in the end I had a lesson at home. We started out by continuing to try and improve the consistency of my paces, and the moved on to riding a figure of 8 with a jump at X to try and sort out my landings. I'm stil not very good but getting better!

Sometimes I wish I had a bay!
i-dLhHZXm-X2.jpg

Hacking
1.8 miles
30 minutes

Schooling
55 minutes

Totals

Schooling
3 hours 45

Hacking
26.8 miles
7 hours 10 minutes
You're so lucky to have someone to take these pics - I'm a billy-no-mates - No one to take pics while I'm out. I'll have to just grab a random passer by!

Reactions: Kite_Rider
Oh dear. That will teach me to just get right on after more than a week! The Zi man was hmm interesting today. I was so bloomin nervous and he was okay with me but then poor Mr T hopped on and omg:eek::eek:talk about king spooks! he put two whoppers in at the far corners of the school, norty boy. There was nowt there either, plus it was only breezy and sunny. I fear we may be having to go back to basics and do in hand stuff for a while as if he had performed like that with me, I doubt if I'd be on him again!!!

Ohhhhhh glad everyone is ok .

Sonny unmounted 7.25 hrs
Mounted 3.75 hrs

I did manage a very short low key liberty in his paddock but it was not great.

My arena is an icy mess I could not walk across it this am and ive gone out to check things again and its melted some but you still can't use it.

Out in front of My little tack shed is a short of ice.

I'm waiting for Toni to get to the barn and access things over there she wants to try to do somethhing.
I will go over to Toni if shes got a workable spot to do something with Levi.
But I will probably wait til later in the day
To do something low key with sonny
Sadly it's a shame the footing is so unfriendly because other than that it's kind of ice out.
But better safe than sorry.

I have been trying to ride most days and today I cantered for the first time in ages. Only in the school. I am working on trot mainly but today we cantered. ....

Here’s some pics of us

View attachment 96894View attachment 96895View attachment 96896
Pretty little horse! How I wish Ramsey had kept his dapples - he went pure white by the time he was 8. Good for you getting a canter in - I haven't done anything but walk with Hogan - maybe when I get a blinking saddle...... Everyone cross fingers for dry day tomorrow - saddler coming. Nervous!

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Pretty little horse! How I wish Ramsey had kept his dapples - he went pure white by the time he was 8. Good for you getting a canter in - I haven't done anything but walk with Hogan - maybe when I get a blinking saddle...... Everyone cross fingers for dry day tomorrow - saddler coming. Nervous!

Huggy I know that feeling.
When I had gotten Max at 2 aside from being a paolomino appaloosa which was unusual
he had the most LOVELY black and pink specked nose:).
The next year he lost every speckle on that nose :(:(.

Vibes for the saddler;);)

Reactions: Huggy
Sonny unmounted 8.00 hrs
mounted 3.75 hrs

Toni was as nasty there ice wise as I was here,
WE are planning for Thursday hopefully.

This is how bad it was in here ugh quite nasty.IMG_7897.JPGIMG_7896.JPG The sun came out and later in the day it was quite warm I had a good long low key liberty in his paddock and got actually the best liberty in there I have gotten so far.
Its bigger than my little cavaletti pen which makes a little harder for the real good liberty with him continuing behind me if im in a chair til I ask him to halt reverse etc etc.
Yesteryay was AWESOME:):).
Lol I did hava a 2 sided horse nice and clean one side total muddy boy on the ohter:p:p:p

IMG_7970.JPGIMG_7928.JPG

We ended up getting quite warm and broke a record and by the end of the day.
Ice melt was running like a river.;) You cant tell from the photo but that patch of water is running.IMG_7974.JPG

WE are teetering around freezing and I don't know how it will be out when its light and I go out.
No matter what my paddock should be good for play.
Places that melted were horribly squishy soft when I did the walkabout late yesterday.
Tonite we are due some ugh ICE:(:(:(:mad::mad: then to rain off and on thru Friday.
Hopefully Thursday is decent for us to have a play day.
But every day is ONE DAY CLOSER TO SPRING:D:D..
Worse case scenario I can continue to perfect liberty in his paddock.:):p:p:p

On a super good note with the good warmth yesterday the poop that had frozen solid
to the ground from ZERO F temps:eek::eek:
thawed and my husband helped me
WOOO HOO get totally caught up in both paddocks and the third area ahhhh;););)

OHHH the first bloom of dawn is starting to show it looks like its gong to be pretty.

Almost all the ice is gone today but ground is cement hard.
We will get above freezing so hopefully later wont be bad.
But ugh :(:mad: who knows if this doesnt start all over :(again depending on how much ice compared to rain we get and
When :oops::oops::oops:

I'm thankful for every day I can get to play :);)

newrider.com