2019 Hacking/Riding Thread

Last weekend was our annual riding camp. It was tricky this year as my lorry is *still* broken. I borrowed a lorry and dropped Harvey off on Thursday night.

Friday was flatwork and polework, Saturday was gridwork and XC technique, and Sunday was XC and showjumping. I was in the 70cm class for xc (although we jumped higher) and 90cm for SJ

Last year XC was a disaster with Harvey just napping and running. This year he was much better and we jumped loads of fences. Sadly he lost a shoe in the XC but I decided to SJ anyway as it was on a surface. I don't think he was actually quite right which culminated in me sitting on the last fence :(

He also got weighed and he is now 666kg with a condition score of 2.75

Would you like to see some pics??

Waiting for some stablemates
i-CTcbqXQ-XL.jpg

Helping to muck out (not)
i-tBwhFhc-XL.jpg

Flatwork
i-PsH5kN5-XL.jpg

Polework
i-hwbvqwW-XL.jpg

Weighing
i-nZVk3DM-XL.jpg

XC technique
i-KcLfkj3-XL.jpg

i-ssHzgX4-XL.jpg

Gridwork
i-F9gwFpn-XL.jpg

i-BLs4wHC-XL.jpg

XC
i-ZLCwFLz-XL.jpg

i-9mCXHJp-XL.jpg

i-3VDDFC2-XL.jpg

i-PBVKZd7-XL.jpg

SJ
i-p8L9TT9-XL.jpg

Harvey time (he had about 4 hours in hand grazing each day)
i-5DfdZ24-XL.jpg

Schooling
6 hours

Schooling
20 hours 50

Hacking
156.5 miles
43 hours
Looks a wonderful place! He is a beautiful boy, such an honest face.

Reactions: GaryB
Sonny unmounted 57.25 hrs
Mounted 8.50 hrs
Andi unmounted 1.75 hrs

We had andother play session and a bit more on my own
I did get more smaller poles for the arena and that bit of a shady area and picked up some
for Toni as well.
If this keeps up riding is going to be a problem its so hot and sticky.
To get an idea ugh I missed this poop yesterday am and this am it was all FUZZ :eek:

No one was outside this am and I tried something different casue it was foggy and overcast
I put him earlier in the big round pen and did the course in the arena before going it
I can look out from the house and see him out there and get him back before its engulfed in sun.
Yesteray I put him in the original back paddock that was here its got trees so more shade
but i went to get him and he was gallo98978ping back and 4tt a B-52 bug was after him:mad::mad:

Very hot and sticky here too. Had a lovely hours hack on Monday, again continuous trotting, just about. Today, went up at 9, and crazy lady was getting crazy horse ready to go out, so fed Hogan and went home, to come back later! I ain't stoopid. Took him out this afternoon, complete with ear mask - he shook it off about 20 feet from the gate, but I got it back on, and there it stayed. Much less head shaking, i must say. I took pity on him, it was SO hot, so we meandered for an hour, the headed home. Sponged him down with cool water, which he loved! All in all, a nice 1st anniversary ride.20190627_162004.jpg

Yaye, summer has arrived! Along with the flies..................lol But I had a wonderful ride on the ginger one, what a good boy, honestly, he is such a sweetheart - my nervous backside in the saddle does not faze him at all! Did a bit more today so feeling very good about that. Mr T rode him too - they looked so happy! Lots of polos got dished out afterwards................ :D :D

Summer has indeed arrived, so hot here, that I set off out with Hogan at 7.30am! Absolutely lovely ride, though still very hot, even at that time. Went all the way round the outside of the inclosure on my own, for the first time, and even managed a really good trot. Got past mares and foals and other riders without incident.

Reactions: GaryB and fourlegs
A strange week for me. The owner of my ex share horse is unexpectedly in hospital so a group of us have been looking after her 3 horses. I had booked Monday off after my riding camp so I did Monday, and then both weekend days this week. Its basically just poo picking, haying and feeding.

Saturday was roasting so I rode at 10 just for a gentle walk around with YO. Sunday was cooler so Harvey and I had a longer hack on our own.

Nice to have some help when poo picking (Riley who is about 2 now)
i-tggk8qT-XL.jpg

Happiness is.... (Bug my ex share on the left)
i-zmpZHFG-XL.jpg

Don't leave - I want to play
i-4bqjZ3J-XL.jpg

i-CK3BCrM-XL.jpg

Hacking
9.5 miles
2.5 hours

Schooling
20 hours 50

Hacking
165.9 miles
45.5 hours

A strange week for me. The owner of my ex share horse is unexpectedly in hospital so a group of us have been looking after her 3 horses. I had booked Monday off after my riding camp so I did Monday, and then both weekend days this week. Its basically just poo picking, haying and feeding.

Saturday was roasting so I rode at 10 just for a gentle walk around with YO. Sunday was cooler so Harvey and I had a longer hack on our own.

Nice to have some help when poo picking (Riley who is about 2 now)
i-tggk8qT-XL.jpg

Happiness is.... (Bug my ex share on the left)
i-zmpZHFG-XL.jpg

Don't leave - I want to play
i-4bqjZ3J-XL.jpg

i-CK3BCrM-XL.jpg

Hacking
9.5 miles
2.5 hours

Schooling
20 hours 50

Hacking
165.9 miles
45.5 hours
Aww - I miss Ramsey following me round like that! Hogan just checks for food, then tells me to bog off if I don't have any.

Mixed bag this week. Had a wonderful hack out on Monday, again out of our comfort zone, passing forest ponies on new route, trotting up nicely along the roadside etc. Out again today, trotting nicely, went out of the trees to the dreaded hill of doom, and hissy fit ensues. (I had no intention of going up the hill!) Anyway, sat it out and continued, and he was fine. He's a complete weirdo about certain spots. Am going to lead him out with his pal at the weekend, and go around all his silly places to see if we can lay the ghosts!

YO was away this weekend so I got to be in charge :) I was there at 8 for breakfast and turnout and our weekend groom came in a bit earlier to help. Fortunately I managed to keep all 8 horses alive ;)

Saturday was SJ practice ready for a clinic next week. I was concentrating on riding straight after the fence which went well until I held it a bit too long not leaving Harvey time to turn which ended up with me sitting on the arena fence. No harm done apart from a bruised thumb which must be from the crop.

Sunday went well - by 10:30 I had fed, turned out, had one horse on the walker, poo picked my friends 3 ponies (at another location) and mucked out my stable. I don't normally get to the yard until 11:15!

It was a bit hot so I dressed Harvey in his new ride on fly rug and we had a little hack out.

Harvey watching me open the barn doors. He has chucked his rugs on the floor to indicate that breakfast is too slow being served.
i-Nd4NvL8-XL.jpg

Sunglasses were needed to mitigate the glare from the new rug
i-sWscRhp-XL.jpg

YO's competition horse. She can be a bit interesting to deal with (the horse that is!)

Schooling
30 minutes

Hacking
1 hour
4.1 miles

Totals

Schooling
21 hours 20

Hacking
170 miles
46.5 hours

Hogan doesn't know what's hit him. We've been out 3 days in a row, 2 of which were trying to solve the problem of his hissy fits about the HILL. (I put that in capitals, because that's how he sees it!) Anyway, led him out Saturday (another 7.30 start from the yard!) and he was fine going up, then rode him up Sunday, again fine, despite forest ponies milling around. Afternoon hack today, just mooching, because it was so hot, but we both enjoyed it, apart from the horse flies! Funnily enough, I think the extra time out suited him. Won't get out again til Thursday now, which will hopefully give the big herd of white cows time to move on. Thankfully they were hidden by the trees today!

So the big white cows are still there :mad:. Managed a nice ride nevertheless. Instead of tackling the HILL (where the damn cows were) we went past the turn for home (often a bone of contention), and did some tight circles and leg yielding. It was messy, but we did it. Very, very hot, even at 9am. Pampered boy got a sponge down, re-fly sprayed, mane plated, as it was like an oven underneath, and clean fly mask on. As you can see, not impressed and basically blew a raspberry at me. 20190711_110349.jpg

Sorry - a late report from me. On Saturday I was unexpectedly in charge again so was there early to feed and turn out. I managed to ride before the worst heat of the day. After several months and several thousand pounds my lorry is back so Sunday was a chance for a SJ clinic. It was supposed to be 90cm but there was only one other rider who jumped 110cm so some of the fences were 100cm. Harvey went well for me but I am finding 100cm to be quite a step up.

I've had this week off so on Tuesday I did some polework in the school and on Wednesday we had a trip to the Wyre Forest

Oops not very central. First part of a double at 100cm
i-KdkC67V-XL.jpg

Harvey was a bit suspicious of the water tray
i-WZNN3Ft-XL.jpg

Pole play
i-jBC8KjW-XL.jpg

Just Harvey and I
i-Q7kjPTG-XL.jpg

Picnic!
i-rtDgXXj-XL.jpg

Hacking
2.5 hours
9.5 miles

Schooling
1 hour 30

Totals

Schooling
22 hours 50

Hacking
179.5 miles
49 hours

Sorry - a late report from me. On Saturday I was unexpectedly in charge again so was there early to feed and turn out. I managed to ride before the worst heat of the day. After several months and several thousand pounds my lorry is back so Sunday was a chance for a SJ clinic. It was supposed to be 90cm but there was only one other rider who jumped 110cm so some of the fences were 100cm. Harvey went well for me but I am finding 100cm to be quite a step up.

I've had this week off so on Tuesday I did some polework in the school and on Wednesday we had a trip to the Wyre Forest

Oops not very central. First part of a double at 100cm
i-KdkC67V-XL.jpg

Harvey was a bit suspicious of the water tray
i-WZNN3Ft-XL.jpg

Pole play
i-jBC8KjW-XL.jpg

Just Harvey and I
i-Q7kjPTG-XL.jpg

Picnic!
i-rtDgXXj-XL.jpg

Hacking
2.5 hours
9.5 miles

Schooling
1 hour 30

Totals

Schooling
22 hours 50

Hacking
179.5 miles
49 hours
Looks cooler where you are? Today is the first day where it's been below 22 at any point.

Had 3 hacks since last post. 2 very early mornings (lovely! Doing it again this weekend). Have tackled THE hill from every direction, with and without forest ponies in attendance! Much better, and I'm beginning to relax a bit about it now. At the moment, I have to say, I'm happier hacking on my own. Hogan is much more chilled solo - weirdo. I'm trying to decide - do I take him further afield, or try for a first canter? Both scare the bejabers out of me, but it's time for another step forward. :eek: pic below is happy calm ears at the top of THE hill!Screenshot_20190718-195127_Gallery.jpg

newrider.com