2020 Hacking & Riding Thread

Went up to go out, and so miffed to see Hogan had a big hairless patch on his neck. His field mate has what looks like lice or poss even mange, and despite putting deosect on Hogan, looks like he's got it. Anyway, sore patch where the bridle goes too, so hack cancelled. Luckily I have some lime plus dip, which worked in lice, and is apparently good for mange too, so he now smells hideous, but everything crossed, it works. YO has got some shampoo and deosect from the vet and has treated hers too. Just finished cleaning all my grooming kit, tack next :mad:

I have deosect - I got it for Chloe's feather mites from the vet. Stinky stuff and I won't put it on her unless I really have to. Being honest, I'm not sure it made a difference. I've used it diluted (very much so) for Zi and the flies in summer. Then he smells too! I wouldn't put it on sore skin though - I'm sure it must sting? Have you ever tried Pestaway? That's not too smelly and seems to help get rid of unwanted guests.

I have deosect - I got it for Chloe's feather mites from the vet. Stinky stuff and I won't put it on her unless I really have to. Being honest, I'm not sure it made a difference. I've used it diluted (very much so) for Zi and the flies in summer. Then he smells too! I wouldn't put it on sore skin though - I'm sure it must sting? Have you ever tried Pestaway? That's not too smelly and seems to help get rid of unwanted guests.
Not heard of pestaway - might try if the lime plus doesn't work. Just annoyed that he's caught it really, and, on a very shallow note, terrified he spoils his mane :eek: Thanks for the suggestion.

Reactions: Trewsers
We treated all the cattle two weeks ago for lice, but we are going to have to retreat probably next week. Some have improved, but a few have possibly got worse. But we cant do yet or theyd be overdosed.

Reactions: Huggy
Not heard of pestaway - might try if the lime plus doesn't work. Just annoyed that he's caught it really, and, on a very shallow note, terrified he spoils his mane :eek: Thanks for the suggestion.

The Pestaway is an all natural product, I get mine from Hyperdrug. You just slosh it on - no rinsing, so very easy.

Sat here in my tacking up area. Just got back from a 50 min hack round the farm was going to switch on my mapping before we set off but forgot I thought it had cooled off a little bit Melody had a sweat on and we only did fast walk.
Clear blue skies and sunshine perfect evening hack .... getting used to solo hacking now and Melody is as good solo as she is in company :) I am a very lucky lady to have such a great pony x

Last edited:
Reactions: GaryB and Huggy
Just been up - no new rubs, but won't be able to ride for a few days as behind his ear is quite raw. Have now sprayed the whole stall with deosect, so fingers crossed until I re do his sponge down in a few days.

Been out for a hack everyday. Another lovely 4 mile hack this morning. It was getting a bit warm and sunny so a bit of headshaking. A few more people about too. The second dose of steroid seems to be kicking in as hes more happy walking and trotting these last few days.

Rode billy again this morning. Did about 3 miles.
They kitted up chunky for a little drive down the road and back. Blow me id barely turned out my front gate with him and some guy says ' is that really exercise'. I just looked and said its welfare of the horse and then said and my well being. His reply was 'well i suppose so. I was only asking.' I dont think the guy had seen me turn out of my drive as theres a little bend in the road. But i thought you cheeky git. Im on the road outside my house you are at least a mile from yours maybe more depending on where he actually lived. But i knew he wasnt anyone living on my road for sure. So he was invading my quiet country lane with his presence. It really got up my nose im afraid.
It the first time ive driven chunky in 4 weeks. We did only go up and down my road so it was only a couple of miles. He was getting bored of just doing clicker training in the yard and a couple of mini walk outs. For a horse that has been use to going out off the yard regularly i think felt like he was on lockdown and abandoned. He also had a nice shampoo after to help loosen and soften his coat. It feels a bit dry and course currently. Hopefully it will have helped moisturise his skin.

They kitted up chunky for a little drive down the road and back. Blow me id barely turned out my front gate with him and some guy says ' is that really exercise'. I just looked and said its welfare of the horse and then said and my well being. His reply was 'well i suppose so. I was only asking.' I dont think the guy had seen me turn out of my drive as theres a little bend in the road. But i thought you cheeky git. Im on the road outside my house you are at least a mile from yours maybe more depending on where he actually lived. But i knew he wasnt anyone living on my road for sure. So he was invading my quiet country lane with his presence. It really got up my nose im afraid.
It the first time ive driven chunky in 4 weeks. We did only go up and down my road so it was only a couple of miles. He was getting bored of just doing clicker training in the yard and a couple of mini walk outs. For a horse that has been use to going out off the yard regularly i think felt like he was on lockdown and abandoned. He also had a nice shampoo after to help loosen and soften his coat. It feels a bit dry and course currently. Hopefully it will have helped moisturise his skin.

What a cheek that bloke had. Pity you couldn't have retorted quickly and said "is that really exercise that you're doing then"?! And why are you here and not outside your own bloody street.....................eeek they get me mad. I am not as polite as you.

I was polite in reply but not in voice tone i can tell you, hence why he said i was only asking. Think he realised he'd hit a nerve.

Reactions: Trewsers
I am jealous of your hacks and I am jealous of chunkys coat and skin
I'm battling what looks like lice/mange caught from field companion, and can't ride, as his bridle rubs a sore bit. Furious that it got to a stage that it spread to Hogan. :mad: probably a week before I can get out.

@Huggy you might be lucky next week. I looked at the cows last week and some still looked bad from the lice. Was thinking we would need to do again in a couple of weeks, but i saw them yesterday and to my amazement everyone actually looked better than when i saw them last week. Hair growing back nicely. So they have healed remarkably this week. Now might not need a 2nd application after all. Even the cow who had festering sores has come good.
Honestly if they are field companions it really only takes a few days to transmit to another companion. Ive got 22 cows in the one field. We had been monitoring for lice and didnt want to treat if we didnt need to. One day i noticed the one bald cow and they had licked till it was weeping. Within 5 days, whilst we were trying to get the noramectin from our feed merchants we had got probably 15 that went bald.
Dont stress. Youll be on board before you know it.

@Huggy you might be lucky next week. I looked at the cows last week and some still looked bad from the lice. Was thinking we would need to do again in a couple of weeks, but i saw them yesterday and to my amazement everyone actually looked better than when i saw them last week. Hair growing back nicely. So they have healed remarkably this week. Now might not need a 2nd application after all. Even the cow who had festering sores has come good.
Honestly if they are field companions it really only takes a few days to transmit to another companion. Ive got 22 cows in the one field. We had been monitoring for lice and didnt want to treat if we didnt need to. One day i noticed the one bald cow and they had licked till it was weeping. Within 5 days, whilst we were trying to get the noramectin from our feed merchants we had got probably 15 that went bald.
Dont stress. Youll be on board before you know it.
Thanks for a bit of optimism! Needed that! I've done him with the lime plus, and have ordered some shampoo that trewsers kindly recommended. So frustrating though! Seems to be down one side mostly.

Is that the lime plus dip. It sprung up recently on the feather mites page and i was curious as the pig oil and sulphur isnt working on chunkys legs properly after many years of use. Think i need to change was curious about the lime.

newrider.com