2021 Hacking and Riding

Finally got to ride after a week off with the man boob. It is much reduced and he thought a ride was an excellent idea. He was very good till we got to the bottom field and the baby exmoors thought they would gallop about. He of course also thought he would like to gallop about too. Only had one moment tho and actually he was really good. Very happy horse 😍

1st ride since we went away, but only a weeks break. I do think he likes to be going out - I've been lucky - Ramsey did too. Same old, same old pics, but it was a lovely ride. Everybody's walking their dogs early, so very sociable, lots of chat, not much work!Screenshot_20210726-115533_Gallery.jpg

No pics but after not riding last week in the heat, we went out today for a full curcular hack on our own. I chose to follow a known route pretty much as my last two hacks both involved problems and turning home.
Today, no worries. No napping. No flies. No spooking today when we met the distant pair of heavy horses with their mower.
I dont think I rode her very well, heavy hands? but we did several canters and trotted much further than I trot on my normal rambling outings and I wore Carthorse's brand hi viz hat cover (thank you Carthorse) and my Western riding shirt and felt very happy the whole time.
I was dead worried about my elderly OH needing to go to the dentist. She is a therapy horse and she therapied me very nicely.
And the dentist fixed OH in just one visit and it was all masked and socially distanced, he says.

That looks so nice - I'm a bit jealous...
You are right. We are very lucky. One can ride a horse on commons and heaths from Wimbledon via Richmond Park (Royal Park) to Ham and I think Bushy Park. There are two Pegasus crossings for which we campaigned to link the areas. Richmond park was wickedly enclosed by Charles 1 for hunting near his palace at Richmond and the previous farms and tracks can still be made out. I regard them still as public rights of way. We do have a school with jumps, but I dont jump and my current share hates the school. This morning she didnt even want to come home from our hack. She loves to be out and about and looking at things.

well I really meant to take some hacking pictures, and then I forgot :(

Friday was another hot day so Harvey and I set off early (for us) for a nice hack onto the hill. There was a bit of breeze and thankfully that seemed to keep the flies away. I have found an app called outdooractive where you can program a route on the PC that automatically transfers to the phone and then give a route to follow including some audio so the phone can stay in the pocket. I had programmed my normal route to test it and it seems pretty good - it does tracking too.

On Saturday we had a temporary groom and she had permission to ride one of the livery horses so I took her out on the same hack.

Sunday wasn't too hot so I had a bit of jumping practice at home. I wasn't going particularly well but did manage to clear 100cm

Sorry - just pretend this isn't a jumping photo!
P7259265-X2.jpg

Hacking
4 hours
13 miles

Schooling
30 minutes

Totals
Schooling
15 hours 15

Hacking
268 miles
80 hours 10

Aim today was a quick ride round the hay field before the storm hits. He thought a blast round the hay field would be better. Going away from home was fine, pointing back home was bounce. Neither of us quite winning. I suggested a trot up the hill. We got 2 nice strides then woosh then 2 nice strides then woosh and repeat. I told him that was not acceptable and we would turn back down the hill and try again. He was not impressed and actually stopped at one point as I was going the wrong way. He set off again and we ended up schooling for a while to try and improve the manners. No part of that field is flat and I was really very impressed with how he schooled. He clicked his head back out of the sky and worked very nicely if slightly strong. Had a couple of canter each day then walked home back through the field on a long rein. Clever clever boy.

Reactions: GaryB
well I really meant to take some hacking pictures, and then I forgot :(

Friday was another hot day so Harvey and I set off early (for us) for a nice hack onto the hill. There was a bit of breeze and thankfully that seemed to keep the flies away. I have found an app called outdooractive where you can program a route on the PC that automatically transfers to the phone and then give a route to follow including some audio so the phone can stay in the pocket. I had programmed my normal route to test it and it seems pretty good - it does tracking too.

On Saturday we had a temporary groom and she had permission to ride one of the livery horses so I took her out on the same hack.

Sunday wasn't too hot so I had a bit of jumping practice at home. I wasn't going particularly well but did manage to clear 100cm

Sorry - just pretend this isn't a jumping photo!
P7259265-X2.jpg

Hacking
4 hours
13 miles

Schooling
30 minutes

Totals
Schooling
15 hours 15

Hacking
268 miles
80 hours 10
I never tire of seeing Harvey doing what he loves!

Another lovely ride, very sociable again! Also met OH and my 7 yr old grandson - bonus! Was trotting up the hill when I met them, and my grandson said "Wow Granny, I didn't know Hogan could run!" Then met a lady, who said "What a sturdy pony! What breed is he?" I replied he was Irish cob, and he was on a diet, at which point she got all flustered, and said "Oh I didn't mean he was fat! I really didn't! I just meant he was broad. I'm making it worse, aren't I?!" We had a laugh, and she redeemed herself by saying how lovely he was. So glad I got out early - the wind is really wild now.Screenshot_20210728-160157_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20210728-182135_Gallery.jpg

newrider.com