2021 Hacking and Riding

I put off minion riding yesterday. It was raining here for most of the day. I really didnt fancy pedalling out with her in the rain.

So she came for a ride today. Billy ran round the field and most definitely limped at one point. But its not stopping him from wanting to run and at one point he whipped past me as i was collecting in the poly posts and lashed out in my direction. Billy is definitely getting bored in the field doing nothing. So when we brought them both in. I tacked him up and rode him about 300 metres down the road, turned round and came back. He was a good boy. As we rode down the yard he was looky looky and plodded out. When we turned round to come home he immediately sped up a bit. He was chilled though, so i untacked and we left him stood in the yard with a horslyx block and hay net for the hour we went out with Chunky. Dont think he freted being stood in, the hay net was nearly empty when we got back. He did call to us on the way out but he must have settled. Last week he fret a bit as he was sweaty when we got back.

Chunky was good as gold out but i think he misses Billys company on the hacks.

I changed it up if hes going to be a
Grass a holic.

I played with a saddle and bridle before riding .
Then got on in the arena and rode there where there isn't any grass.
Then went over the narrow bridge a few times.
Then went up to the cowboy curtain.
He got balky bratty one time on the way up in the really deep lush candy grass.
I didnt give in and he didn't push it.

He was picture perfect on the bridge snd
Cowboy curtain.
He got carrot treats but no grass til we were done.
Hes wandering loose eating grass now.
He was out eating grass before we played and rode.
So its NOT like he's DEPRIVED.

View attachment 108704

View attachment 108705

View attachment 108706

View attachment 108707

View attachment 108708View attachment 108709View attachment 108710
If he's anything like Hogan, he's ALWAYS deprived!

• Haha
Reactions: horseandgoatmom
After all the hammering rain yesterday, it was good to get out this morning. Excellent boy - worked well (eventually), and was quite sweaty when we got back. I trotted down the tarmac lane home, and videoed to see how he looked. When i looked at the video in the stable I was convinced he seemed lame, though hadn't felt it at all. My friend came out with me and watched as I trotted him up, in hand - totally sound. Could not fathom why he looked lame in the video - then we both clicked. I was rising with my phone in my hand, as he was stepping with the right fore, so I was up as he stepped down, if that makes sense!? Anyway, he really enjoyed his hay when all the kerfuffle was over!https://photos.app.goo.gl/uGxoC5DWyDA3sd496Screenshot_20211003-104505_Gallery.jpg

That's funny - the video link in above post doesn't look like previous ones, but it works -🤔

I had planned to go to back of village round a couple of stubble fields. Robin said “no we are going THIS way. You can come if you like but I’m going down here”. He is allowed choices sometimes so we went that way!

Horrible wet day yesterday, but not bad this morning, so I managed out. Horrible moment at the turn off the lane to the forest track. We get almost no traffic down it, but if the main roads clogged up, people use it as a rat run - it comes out further up the main road. Stupid car roared round the corner and only saw us at the last second. Luckily Hogan stayed where he was - if he'd shied we could have been hit. Other than that it was a lovely ride, he's got more energy now, so we're back to slowish, rather than painfully slow! The tracks have gone from disappearing, to completely disappeared!Screenshot_20211005-111902_Gallery.jpg

Glad your both ok.

People drive like idiots.

My husband does huge oversize WIDE loads that originate in PA. In amish country.
He has to go thru winding roads in amish country many times over 12 ft wide til he gets to a highway.

There are lots of amish buggies out.
He goes as SLOW AS IT TAKES
whether the morons behind him likes it or not.

Reactions: Huggy and Trewsers
Glad your both ok.

People drive like idiots.

My husband does huge oversize WIDE loads that originate in PA. In amish country.
He has to go thru winding roads in amish country many times over 12 ft wide til he gets to a highway.

There are lots of amish buggies out.
He goes as SLOW AS IT TAKES
whether the morons behind him likes it or not.
A deer was hit on the lane last week - had to be put down. It's so stupid - because the forest has a 40mph limit, so does our single track lane. It even has the 40 sign up. The lanes about quarter mile long, and has 5 small yards along it, and there isn't even a sign to tell drivers that horses go up and down it. At least the driver that hit the deer stopped and called the agister. It should at most, be 20mph.

• Sad
Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Thats sad with the deer.
People are in such a hurry.
GET YOUR A .. OUT OF BED 10 MIN SOONER.

This road is a racetrack cause its a cut between the 2 main roads.

We are right in the corner
Where Massachusetts...Connecticut ..Rhode Island meet.

All the cars flying down this road like idiots are out of state plates for the most part.

The speed limit is 25.
But they fly thru WAY ABOVE THAT.

Reactions: Huggy and Trewsers
I told Ross (my OH and photographer) about your kind comments about her pictures and she says thank you :)

I had another nice 4 day weekend (the benefits of now being semi retired). I set off for a longer hack on Friday, but the road was closed and I had to detour, so only 4.5 miles. Saturday was a grim day and never seemed to stop raining for more than a few minutes so I gave Harvey the day off. Saturday was some jumping practice. The lorry has gone off for its service so on Monday A and I had to hack locally.

Hacking with A (Note - not a SJ pic!)
IMG_1909-XL.jpg

Trying a fan fence (sorry - more SJ!)
PA031466-X2.jpg

YO said did I want the (90cm) oxer putting up a bit - and then put it up to 105cm
PA031510-X2.jpg

Ok- so this is how big the fence looks alongside a 17hh Harvey and a 6' tall me :)
PA031543-X2.jpg

Hacking
10 miles
3 hours

schooling
30 minutes

Totals
Schooling
21 hours 40

Hacking
357 miles
108 hours 45

Best horse in the world again. Went out with his girlfriend. He boiled over a couple of times but was actually brilliant. Out for a bit over an hour (if he had had his way we could have done it in 45 😂) he was slightly tired coming back but would not admit it. Brilliant weather, brilliant company and brilliant ride. 5A423A22-FFCF-4453-BEBE-C4EA204D4E0D.png

Well, hell on hooves today - but not his fault. There was a horrible accident on the bypass this morning (2 killed) and every single road was gridlocked. So we got the usual loons using past the yard as a rat run. 5 cars as we headed out - only 2 slowed for us :mad:. Down the track to the forest was fine - it's not vehicle friendly. My mistake - I took a route that took us past the forest road - gridlocked in both directions. Hogan really did not like the volume of traffic - he's not used to it. Got to the car park, to turn for home. He was a bit iffy, but manageable. Just got onto the gravel in the car park, when a white van, that had got impatient in the traffic, roared in, skidded to a halt, swung round, spraying gravel at us, and sped back out. Well, that did it. I waited for him to settle, and got off when he'd calmed down. Not a moment too soon - a car did the exact same thing, and I think I'd have been on the floor if I hadn't got off. Got back on away from the car park, and decided to quit while we were ahead. Same shenanigans on the lane back, but only one twit sped past - the others slowed down. Like I said, not Hogans fault today - it was a perfect storm.

It got quite a bit hotter yesterday.

Sonny was a little girthy when I saddled him and bucked online in the arena when I asked for canter.
I reset the saddle.

He was fine when I rode so I'm not sure what was up.

As soon as he went back to his area
After riding he immediately rolled.

He seemed fine.
Maybe he was a little full of himself???

Thinking afterwards lots of times unsaddled at liberty or online
Asking for canter he will do a little bit of silly Billy crow hop or buck blowing it out a bit.

I think it caught me wrong and shook my confidence a little because he was saddled and I was going to ride.

When hes unsaddled it doesn't phase me.
I just laugh and say ok get it out.
Then its done and over.

He was totally fine when i rode.

20211007_115138.jpg20211007_115037.jpg20211007_115029.jpg20211007_114923.jpg20211007_114902.jpg20211007_114852.jpg20211007_114804.jpg20211007_114756.jpg20211007_114743.jpg20211007_114744.jpg

He was good as gold riding.

The cows have finally been moved. Which means we have hacking on the yard as their set up meant 4 fields being used and no access to the “walk way” round the fields. So when I got up this evening despite the rain we were taking advantage of the field and going out. VERY good idea thought Robin. My heart rate did rise when he exploaded into the field over the muddy gateway. I didn’t realise how wet the field was with extra cow pats. He was actually really good. But I told him he couldn’t be silly because it was too wet for me to land on the floor! He only attempted to trot back up the hill once, I had expected bouncing and demands to go faster 😂

newrider.com