2021 Hacking and Riding

A week into the new year and i still havent managed to ride yet this year. Too much snow and ice.
Yesterday i actually dusted off the lunge cavesson and lunge rein and gave chunky a lunge. That was the first time i think in almost a year. He was fab, actually was quite energetic. I left billly loose as hes had no work either and whilst he wasnt lunging round at chunkys side, he was having a good gal avant and hooley about, which took the sillyness out of him. Chunky never got excited by his antics at all. After lunging chunky i then took billy over the other side of the field and did some clicker training over the poles. He was really good. Chunky came too and just stood and watched.
Little video.

Today i gave chunky another lunge. Left billy loose and he was so much more chilled, he just stood either watching or munching the grass, not antics. When i asked him to come join me, he did and we went over across the other side of the field for another great polework session.

Yaye I managed to see it this time on here! Very active indeed. Love how his friend tried to join in hahahahaa. Distract him more like lol

I had an email from you tube about some age restriction thing. Not sure what i need to. I'll have a look.

Decided not to lunge today as ground is a bit soft. Still not able to ride, more snow arrived overnight, so both boys got some clicker training over the poles again.

Chunky really cant be bothered and would rather just stand looking at me. Cant seem to get the spark in him. So he ends up on the lead most of the time being lead over the poles.

Billy is getting a bit over enthusiastic and shoots past me thinking hes doing good and tries pre-empting. Then runs off to do his own thing. So not fully engaged with me yet.

Reactions: GaryB and Huggy
Beggary cold this morning, but got out for a short one, bareback. He was good, loves just plodding when he's no saddle on! One little incident bothered me though. Before Christmas, we met 2 blokes on the track down to the forest, with a lurcher, both in camouflage gear. I said good morning, and they looked Hogan over end to end, and said "Nice horse". Something made me a bit uncomfortable. Today, I met them again. Same scenario played out, but I glanced back and they were both stopped, watching Hogan as we walked away. Just odd , I don't know.

Beggary cold this morning, but got out for a short one, bareback. He was good, loves just plodding when he's no saddle on! One little incident bothered me though. Before Christmas, we met 2 blokes on the track down to the forest, with a lurcher, both in camouflage gear. I said good morning, and they looked Hogan over end to end, and said "Nice horse". Something made me a bit uncomfortable. Today, I met them again. Same scenario played out, but I glanced back and they were both stopped, watching Hogan as we walked away. Just odd , I don't know.
That does sound a bit odd. Hmm. Hopefully they just know a good pony when they see one!

Hurray, the road had thawed enough. I managed to ride for the first time since Christmas. Billy was good we did about 3 miles. Then i came back let chunky out and took billy out again to the end of the road and back. Chunky just followed on behind. Billy was questioning me for the first couple of 100 metres. Mum what are you doing ive been out. He developed stiff leg syndrome. He gave in after a bit.

Horse thieves?
I know - that's what worried me. I think they've been training their lurcher to catch rabbits - first time I met them there was a fresh dead rabbit down the track. Luckily Hogans not a very trusting horse, and he's aggressive with strangers (my farrier would bear witness to that!) I cling onto the hope that he'd flatten anyone who tried to catch him.

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
I know - that's what worried me. I think they've been training their lurcher to catch rabbits - first time I met them there was a fresh dead rabbit down the track. Luckily Hogans not a very trusting horse, and he's aggressive with strangers (my farrier would bear witness to that!) I cling onto the hope that he'd flatten anyone who tried to catch him.
I think they were just appreciating him. They were just out rabbiting. Nothing to worry about probably, there were lots of them where we used to live. They genuinely like horses most of them in my experience. I remember when they were running dogs near us and they admired J and Storm - nothing in it at all, they just made some nice comments. Try not to worry.

I think they were just appreciating him. They were just out rabbiting. Nothing to worry about probably, there were lots of them where we used to live. They genuinely like horses most of them in my experience. I remember when they were running dogs near us and they admired J and Storm - nothing in it at all, they just made some nice comments. Try not to worry.
That's what I keep telling myself, and you're probably right. I just indulge in what my husband calls "catastrophic thinking"! Apparently I'm a rarity, because I'm also an optimist :p - it's unusual to be both.

That's what I keep telling myself, and you're probably right. I just indulge in what my husband calls "catastrophic thinking"! Apparently I'm a rarity, because I'm also an optimist :p - it's unusual to be both.

Reactions: Trewsers
My first weekend of the New Year was very frustrating with the yard, field and school all covered in snow. It was very local so we had to frustratingly see loads of pictures of our friends on FB out riding.

The second weekend was a bit better - the fields had cleared so the horses could have some turnout. I dug a path to the school and on Sunday a path to the gate. On Saturday then it was just 15 minutes in the school following one track to try and avaoid Harvey's feet clogging up with snow, and on Saturday a short hack as most of the roads still had some ice on.

The foster ponies on Saturday
i-C9x7HFT-XL.jpg

The school on Saturday
IMG_1050_HEIC-XL.jpg

Schooling
15 minutes

Hacking
2 miles
40 minutes.

Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy
My first weekend of the New Year was very frustrating with the yard, field and school all covered in snow. It was very local so we had to frustratingly see loads of pictures of our friends on FB out riding.

The second weekend was a bit better - the fields had cleared so the horses could have some turnout. I dug a path to the school and on Sunday a path to the gate. On Saturday then it was just 15 minutes in the school following one track to try and avaoid Harvey's feet clogging up with snow, and on Saturday a short hack as most of the roads still had some ice on.

The foster ponies on Saturday
i-C9x7HFT-XL.jpg

The school on Saturday
IMG_1050_HEIC-XL.jpg

Schooling
15 minutes

Hacking
2 miles
40 minutes.

Oooh that looks so cold!

Reactions: GaryB
newrider.com