2021 Hacking and Riding

Weather not great, but not awful, so took Hogan into the paddock. Little bit of lead work, then on bareback. Halts, changing the rein, rein backs (Little bit of resistance to that!) All in all a good boy for 20 mins or so. Putting saddle back on for an outing on Friday - weather permitting ?How the hell he got this scruffy in 20 mins walking round a paddock, I don't know.Screenshot_20210113-144158_Gallery.jpg

Took Hogan out first thing. He's definitely going through one of his phases atm. The devil on his shoulder was telling him to kick off again, but he managed to resist. I could feel him wanting to be naughty, but he didn't follow through. I have no idea where this comes from, I'm pretty sure his saddle's fine, it was cold, but we've been out in colder, he does get 'hangry', but I doubt it's that - I'm actually going to cut down his food - he's not lost any weight since summer. Main thing was, we made it home with no drama, though I didn't trot til the home stretch, as I think he'd have exploded. He's a puzzle, he really is.?‍♀️

Took Hogan out first thing. He's definitely going through one of his phases atm. The devil on his shoulder was telling him to kick off again, but he managed to resist. I could feel him wanting to be naughty, but he didn't follow through. I have no idea where this comes from, I'm pretty sure his saddle's fine, it was cold, but we've been out in colder, he does get 'hangry', but I doubt it's that - I'm actually going to cut down his food - he's not lost any weight since summer. Main thing was, we made it home with no drama, though I didn't trot til the home stretch, as I think he'd have exploded. He's a puzzle, he really is.?‍♀️
Yes it’s knowing when to push and when not to sometimes isn’t it!

I managed a ride on Billy yesterday afternoon. Only the 2nd ride this year. Took him up the main road up the hill. Thought that would tire him a bit. He seemed very forward leading him up the field. Only problem is there are at least 3 houses having building works done on the main road, so getting past them is risky with the banging. We survived though with a bit of veering the other side of the road. Managed 3 miles.

Another bit of playing about with Mr Zi today. The sun was out! And no ice in the school either. He was good and backed up nicely. We didn't do much (work beckoned) but it's nice to just touch base with him - even if only in hand. Neither of us is riding again due to the covid situation getting bad again, and as we're not the best / most confident riders in the world we both feel it's better to lay off for a while. We're trying to just enjoy him this way for a while. Along with all the other horse chores lol

Managed a ride out yesterday. My mum got a phone call from someone we know who saw me out riding and thought i was having trouble getting Billy down the road. I never saw them but i was observed. What they actually saw was me doing clicker training, as i was riding down the road i was asking Billy to touch lamp posts and bollards that were on the edge of the pavement by the road, so he kept stopping to touch and receive his treat. He got a bit to obsessed with the fun and took it to the extreme at one point as i had to overtake a parked car, so as we did so billy stopped automatically to touch it.

Well, round 2 with Hogan. Got on inside the forest gate, and so it begins. Glaring around, walking stupidly fast (for Hogan), turned down a narrow track and we're off. Throwing himself around etc. So, I stayed on until he settled, and carried on down the track, though he still felt tense. I know further along there's a steep dip, (we all know what can happen in a steep up and down) so I got off as we approached, as you said horseandgoatmom, just so he doesn't associate with bad behaviour. Sure enough, gets all silly going down and up the dip. We got to the spot where I can get on again to go home, and I thought sod this! We're going straight back out and having a longer ride, we are NOT going home - do your worst mate! Schizo pony turns into sweetness and light, does everything he's asked, trotted beautifully, halts, leg yielding and so forth.Eventually we turn for home with no more issues. I suppose I just have to grit my teeth until this nonsense passes. :rolleyes:

Managed a ride out yesterday. My mum got a phone call from someone we know who saw me out riding and thought i was having trouble getting Billy down the road. I never saw them but i was observed. What they actually saw was me doing clicker training, as i was riding down the road i was asking Billy to touch lamp posts and bollards that were on the edge of the pavement by the road, so he kept stopping to touch and receive his treat. He got a bit to obsessed with the fun and took it to the extreme at one point as i had to overtake a parked car, so as we did so billy stopped automatically to touch it.
Aw that's nice someone cared enough to ring your mum!

Well, round 2 with Hogan. Got on inside the forest gate, and so it begins. Glaring around, walking stupidly fast (for Hogan), turned down a narrow track and we're off. Throwing himself around etc. So, I stayed on until he settled, and carried on down the track, though he still felt tense. I know further along there's a steep dip, (we all know what can happen in a steep up and down) so I got off as we approached, as you said horseandgoatmom, just so he doesn't associate with bad behaviour. Sure enough, gets all silly going down and up the dip. We got to the spot where I can get on again to go home, and I thought sod this! We're going straight back out and having a longer ride, we are NOT going home - do your worst mate! Schizo pony turns into sweetness and light, does everything he's asked, trotted beautifully, halts, leg yielding and so forth.Eventually we turn for home with no more issues. I suppose I just have to grit my teeth until this nonsense passes. :rolleyes:
Well ruddy done! I'd have got off and gone home. Eeek, you're doing really well with him.

Well ruddy done! I'd have got off and gone home. Eeek, you're doing really well with him.
Thank you but it doesn't feel like it - it's scouts walk atm - 10 steps forward, then back to square one. My friend said to me the other day "He's a horse - he should do as you say" I know he should, but if you haven't ridden Hogan, you don't know what he's like - he's not one you can get cross with, and MAKE him do something - he's like the little girl with the curl - when he's good he's very very good, but when he's bad, he's horrid! Never mind - I loved him again after our "2nd" hack! Hey ho - ever onward. ;)

Yay - the snow has gone!

On Saturday I had a nice hack out with YO. Harvey was very bouncy and excited and while having an argument about jogging down hill he managed to fall onto his knees so now he has a cut on his fetlock. Fortunately it was pretty clean and only surface (plent of blood though)

Sunday was a shorter hack with on of the other liveries that I don't often ride with. We took advantage of lockdown to cross the normally busy road to have a change of scenery.

IMG_1767_HEIC-X2.jpg

Hacking
8.5 miles
2 hours 30

Totals

Schooling
15 minutes

Hacking
10.5 miles
3 hours 10 minutes

Yay - the snow has gone!

On Saturday I had a nice hack out with YO. Harvey was very bouncy and excited and while having an argument about jogging down hill he managed to fall onto his knees so now he has a cut on his fetlock. Fortunately it was pretty clean and only surface (plent of blood though)

Sunday was a shorter hack with on of the other liveries that I don't often ride with. We took advantage of lockdown to cross the normally busy road to have a change of scenery.

IMG_1767_HEIC-X2.jpg

Hacking
8.5 miles
2 hours 30

Totals

Schooling
15 minutes

Hacking
10.5 miles
3 hours 10 minutes
Oh poor Harvey! I hope the cut heals okay. Looking good there btw!

Went out this morning, very forward boy, so I knew what was coming. Long trot, then got off BEFORE the nonsense. Sure enough, he got silly. I think I may have had a lightbulb moment. I've upped his feed, because we're low on hay, and this may be the problem. He wants to GO! He's not arguing with me, apart from wanting to go forward - very forward! Got on again, still forward but manageable. When we got to the yard, I turned him away from home, and his argument was just not to go. No rearing or bucking, just stationary. He eventually walked on for me, so we ended on a good note. I'm going to the feed store today, and buying pure grass food. He usually gets a teeny handful of molli, but he's been getting more recently - I know - pure sugar!!! Cross your fingers that I'm right.

newrider.com