2021 Hacking and Riding

I see many carrots as a reward for a job well done🥕🥕🥕🥕😎

You did a beautiful job with the saddle, bridle, and martingale. That took a ton of talent and a lot of patience.

I still have the Sears & Roebuck saddle mom bought me for my first horse in 1959. It’s black with faux silver diamonds and has tapaderos. It was the closest I was ever going to get to a sliver parade saddle, lollol

It has a seat as hard as a cement block and I grew out of that seat many many years ago, lollol. It’s under wraps in the attic — along with several other saddles. I’ve ridden bareback most of my life but myexcuse for buying saddles was thzt I needed something to fit every horse when someone else wanted to ride🙄🙄

• Love
Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Another beautiful morning. Hogan still very sluggish, but did as he was asked. I'm staying out a bit longer, and mixing up our routes - silly beggar didn't catch on that despite taking a different track, we were still heading home. Really, we just meandered today, I think that's why we get on so well - I'm happy to amble around and just be riding again, and he feels the same. We have no massive expectations of each other, and that suits us both.Screenshot_20210626-120330_Gallery.jpg

Another beautiful morning. Hogan still very sluggish, but did as he was asked. I'm staying out a bit longer, and mixing up our routes - silly beggar didn't catch on that despite taking a different track, we were still heading home. Really, we just meandered today, I think that's why we get on so well - I'm happy to amble around and just be riding again, and he feels the same. We have no massive expectations of each other, and that suits us both.View attachment 107204
That's ace! Meandering is good. And ambling.

Well we managed another bit of in hand today. Monster is now instrumental in spooking Zi and ensuring he hasn't forgotten how to do canter pirouette down the long side! Argh. Next time OH gets on board I shall have to either evict Monster and put him in the barn with a large plate of fish - or tempt him onto my knee and sit on the mounting block watching! I think it may well have been one of the cats that spooked Zi last time I came off. The long grass hides them well at the top corner. :eek:

Oh yes take care to corral Monster...

I just rode he was good.
We played w the weed clumps.

The sun did come out and it started to heat up fast but I stopped when a horse fly set sights on us.

It was quite windy and no bugs in sight when I got on. I figured Id spray after.

Now no matter what he will get sprayed before.. and ill get the saddle ..girth area..
After.
Now its gone deep overcast again.
20210626_084649.jpg

Happy happy happy. Proper canter up the field today. (Rather than 10 strides). It is the most amazing feeling. I had to remind him a couple of times we were not going flat out but he was so so good. Pulled up politely at the top. A full 1 min. He was puffing slightly but recovered very quickly. Oh how I had missed that (and also not sure quite why in the past I was scared of it!)FE0EB555-3993-4D0A-9175-1641DE637708.jpeg

A little jump session in the field today with the boys. Billy wasnt really concentrating and tossing the head alot. So i was happy to abandon.
We went back to the yard and unsaddled Chunky. Then headed down to my neighbours field so his rider could practice her bareback canters. Unfortunately the fly spray had worn off so we got plagued by horse flies. Id meant to respray them whilst in the yard but got distracted. I rode Billy down and had a couple of canters up the field which started to go to his head. He couldnt keep still even when asked. Threw in a squeal and buck at one point. Not the best ride but we managed.

Thanks. I’m glad I ignored people and took things so slowly. (5 weeks inhand. 4 weeks walk, 4 weeks trot then canter) It has meant that every increase in work he has been keen and ready for. I was not being a wimp as some people felt!

I can’t believe how lucky I am. Both at having such a wonderful and forgiving horse and for getting him back after things were a day or so away from pts at the beginning of this year. Also grateful to a very persistent vet!

A good vet is worth its weight in gold.
I have great vets that are part of Tufts.
They are an ambulatory clinic they can handle most everything except major
Surgery. The big hospital and vet school Is
About 1.25 hrs away.

My main goat vet saved Lincoln.
He was stepped on by his mother at his birth farm.
She had previously saved a calf w a broken neck she said.
He was a happy little boy not miserable or depressed so there was no downside to trying.
A hard cast ..2 soft casts..2 bouts of being paralyzed.. sleeping w me snuggled on the couch.. he came thru...
Then he made up for lost time and
started THE HELLIONS CLUB.

Had a good ride.
I re did flower pots on one side of one set of cavaketti.

I think the graveky sand will be MUCH better.

I started off riding out front then went over to the arena
And grassy area next to it
I also set 2 cavaletti sets outside the new pen.
One needs to shift with the tire there.

It was overcast sun was trying to pop
But thank god has not succeeded yet.
Sonny Also got
Some grass treats. With no bit that works out well.
But ohhhh funny boy if he does something grass doesnt cut it lol
NOPE CARROT MOM

20210627_083706.jpg20210627_083335(0).jpg20210627_090126.jpg20210627_090216.jpg20210627_090213.jpg

newrider.com