2021 Hacking and Riding

One of those rides from hell today. Decided we would venture over to the hills opposite. So a bit of a road hack. Through woods, up the hill and back down other side and road hack back home. All went well on the road. Got up through the woods, had a little canter up to the gate. Then Billy blew everything. We get through into the field and he just started dancing. He wanted to go, so i said no. I havent been over to this place for a year nearly and last time i was there they had polywire that had all be pulled down and across the field and path. Well the poly wire was still up but looking worse for wear. So i couldnt risk trotting even. So billy got so upset throwing his weight around, sideways walk, didnt get him anywhere so started bucking and squeals. At one point he headed sideways, then backwards towards a barbwire fence. I had his hi viz sheet on so had visions of that hooking onto the fence. Get up the top of the field we pass a horse. He was actually fine with that. Onwards to the gate and then bridleway track. He calmed a bit so i asked for a trot. He started throwing his weight around again. So back to walk. Next gate he was fine at, then i said we'd turn and go threw another gate across a field. There was a walker with a dog, so i kindly asked her to do the gate for us. We walk into the field and billy starts bucking some more, let me go mum. I thought he was going to barrel the poor lady doing the gate. We got across the field and then theres steep down hill sections he starts trying to buck on those. I had to get chunky infront to block us. Get to the next gate and he swung sideways nearly squashing my leg against the fence. The hi viz hooked on the barb wire. Managed to unhook that but now has a small hole in the sheet. Get through the gate, turn round to try shutting it and whip hooks into the fence, im trying to unhook it from the back of the post and the handle comes off in my hand. Sort that out, shut the gate, proceed to walk down the steep tarmac road and two flipping dogs come down the lane barking madly. I swung billy round to see them and shouted at the dogs and waved my whip at them. I swear if i hadnt turned billy he would have bucked and barrelled the one that came in close.

Down the lane a cyclist comes down behind us. So i ask him if he will do the gate for us that we were all just approaching. He opened the gate and we went through, so i pull over to the side so he can get back on his bike and go. Blow me if billy didnt start bucking and squealing again. My nerves are shattered, im sweating buckets. We still have to ride down this steep field we have just entered. Well some how we made it. Got into the woods track and billy was still thinking about trying another few bucks.
All the gates, 7 of them on this hack, which is all bridleway are so not horse friendly. It really spoils the ride. Everthing has barbwire around the top of the fences. Not my favourite hack.
Once we got to the road again he settled and the rest of the ride home went without to much drama. He returned to sensible head. We even rode up through the field which leads to my road. I did let billy have a canter up there. He gave it his all, i even managed to duck under a tree at full pelt and loose my hat silk. It wasnt till i looked behind to see where chunky was i saw my silk hanging from the tree. So i had to turn round and walk back down to get it. Billy thought hed have another go with a little buck.
He seems to be getting very handy with his back legs lately when he wants it his way. Not sure what i can do to keep them on the ground. But its scaring me.

Chunky was actually very calm and chilled today. He hasnt been over on that hack for a least 2 years. Whether it was a bit far im not sure. His head was up and alert. Apart from a few cheeky heads down to munch he was amazing.

I dont think i will attempt that ride again for a while, my nerves are shot.

I just changed over a couple more just flowers and flags for now.
I really only did outsides
I may get away from pots on both sides.
View attachment 107236View attachment 107237View attachment 107238

It really is nasty out there now.ugh

even w wind and sun going in and out
Even if sonny didn't benefit from your inventions, it certainly makes your grounds VERY interesting! I'd love to know what a drone going over would capture for a nosey Parker, and what they'd think!

I couldnt cope with that. @chunky monkey. And unlike you, I didnt go back for my hat silk. OH and I collected it later. But the lesson to me was that if a tree takes my silk, its dangerous. I need to lie flatter on the horse. And no trotting under trees any more.

One of those rides from hell today. Decided we would venture over to the hills opposite. So a bit of a road hack. Through woods, up the hill and back down other side and road hack back home. All went well on the road. Got up through the woods, had a little canter up to the gate. Then Billy blew everything. We get through into the field and he just started dancing. He wanted to go, so i said no. I havent been over to this place for a year nearly and last time i was there they had polywire that had all be pulled down and across the field and path. Well the poly wire was still up but looking worse for wear. So i couldnt risk trotting even. So billy got so upset throwing his weight around, sideways walk, didnt get him anywhere so started bucking and squeals. At one point he headed sideways, then backwards towards a barbwire fence. I had his hi viz sheet on so had visions of that hooking onto the fence. Get up the top of the field we pass a horse. He was actually fine with that. Onwards to the gate and then bridleway track. He calmed a bit so i asked for a trot. He started throwing his weight around again. So back to walk. Next gate he was fine at, then i said we'd turn and go threw another gate across a field. There was a walker with a dog, so i kindly asked her to do the gate for us. We walk into the field and billy starts bucking some more, let me go mum. I thought he was going to barrel the poor lady doing the gate. We got across the field and then theres steep down hill sections he starts trying to buck on those. I had to get chunky infront to block us. Get to the next gate and he swung sideways nearly squashing my leg against the fence. The hi viz hooked on the barb wire. Managed to unhook that but now has a small hole in the sheet. Get through the gate, turn round to try shutting it and whip hooks into the fence, im trying to unhook it from the back of the post and the handle comes off in my hand. Sort that out, shut the gate, proceed to walk down the steep tarmac road and two flipping dogs come down the lane barking madly. I swung billy round to see them and shouted at the dogs and waved my whip at them. I swear if i hadnt turned billy he would have bucked and barrelled the one that came in close.

Down the lane a cyclist comes down behind us. So i ask him if he will do the gate for us that we were all just approaching. He opened the gate and we went through, so i pull over to the side so he can get back on his bike and go. Blow me if billy didnt start bucking and squealing again. My nerves are shattered, im sweating buckets. We still have to ride down this steep field we have just entered. Well some how we made it. Got into the woods track and billy was still thinking about trying another few bucks.
All the gates, 7 of them on this hack, which is all bridleway are so not horse friendly. It really spoils the ride. Everthing has barbwire around the top of the fences. Not my favourite hack.
Once we got to the road again he settled and the rest of the ride home went without to much drama. He returned to sensible head. We even rode up through the field which leads to my road. I did let billy have a canter up there. He gave it his all, i even managed to duck under a tree at full pelt and loose my hat silk. It wasnt till i looked behind to see where chunky was i saw my silk hanging from the tree. So i had to turn round and walk back down to get it. Billy thought hed have another go with a little buck.
He seems to be getting very handy with his back legs lately when he wants it his way. Not sure what i can do to keep them on the ground. But its scaring me.

Chunky was actually very calm and chilled today. He hasnt been over on that hack for a least 2 years. Whether it was a bit far im not sure. His head was up and alert. Apart from a few cheeky heads down to munch he was amazing.

I dont think i will attempt that ride again for a while, my nerves are shot.
Oh I know how you feel after a hack like that, only too well!

Lol Huggy

Those cavaletti and obstacles are on the far side of the front yard towards the road.

If someone doesn't see me riding out there and don't know what cavaletti etc are ... they may think we heve dogs..

Up the road there is some famous dog trainer I'm not into dogs so I don't know who...
But hes got a huge dog versatility set up in his front yard..
Some of the jumps etc are really adorable

They probably think this stuff is for dogs too lol.

I feel motivated and happy to be
Riding
redoing flowers etc.

Since they had just gotten the flowers in
I WENT BACK.. after riding
ok I went a little nuts but they are a really
REALLY good price for the bigger bushes.

And in the big scheme of things if I was into Fancy clothes or pocketbooks etc.
I'D be spending a lot more.

At the old house. I used to have the 5 ft banner flags on the posts in back.
Cathy's yard behind me sloped down and when I rode the neighborhood i could see the tops of the flags...from the road in bsck.
Hmmm lol wonder if people thought it was a circus..
😆

• Haha
Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy
Robin would like someone to contact his union. Set off into same field as yesterday. Set off down the hill and there was a fly. ONE fly and of course I hadn’t put his mask on. So we had dramatic head waving at that. Came along bottom of field and fly was forgotten in the hope we could do something more exciting. Turned up the middle of the field and up the hill again. Breathed into trot. “Canter?” he asks. “No” says I. “Canter now?” “No” says I which he accepted and we had a slightly hollow trot but stayed in trot. I don’t mind him asking as long as when I say no he dosnt fuss.

Top of hill instead of turning right and out of field again I had the cheek to turn left to carry on round and down the field again. Well this was not acceptable! Did I not know home (and tea) was that way? We have been about for approx 7 mins so no we are not going home. So he muttered loudly about how unfair life was and how rubbish I was being until he decided actually it wasn’t that bad after all and engaged power walk again. The complaint has been noted tho and I really must try harder.

Came along the bottom again and he decided this was great fun, had a couple of “I’m a free spirit, you can’t contain me” head tosses. I did wonder what would happen when we headed back up hill. And realised we were in snaffle rather than the universal. However we have done a lot of work telling him if he walks sensibly we can trot. If he trots sensibly we can canter. But if he pulls and bounces then we walk.

Delighted when he seemed to remember the rules. So again breathed in to trot. Trotted pretty well so had a short canter as we were almost at the top. Pulled up nicely so got huge pats for remembering his manners. He will never be a horse for a novice but I am actually pleased he feels well.

Spooked his way back out of the (wide) gateway. Then yo daughters 2 dogs came running towards us barking. I froze slightly, he couldn’t have cared less! To be fair to dogs they barked 3 times and realised they knew me and stopped again.

It was a short ride but it was sooooo warm he actually needed a wash down when we got back!

It was awful out before 6am as soon as the sun popped up.
No riding today there will be 3 days of heat advisory w temps in 90's f really high dew points and heat index well ovet 100 f.
So probably no riding til this breaks.

I had to grab some things and checked out Walmart flowers... maybe I'm
Certifiable. Aka. BONKERS..
but i got some more and they had a couple boxes of flags left.
Ran out to do the other side of the cavaletti w smaller. Red ..white.. and blue flower bunches and tiny flag's
I think it came out good

I need to keep flowers..flags etc on the inside curve on the curved cavaletti shorter in case I Want to do those on line.

They did have a couple really awesome
Bigger multi color bushes.

20210628_090629.jpg
20210628_101807.jpg20210628_101741.jpg

Reactions: Huggy and Trewsers
Well Hogan blotted his copy book today. We hardly ever go out later in the day, but it's been wet every morning, so off we went at 3.30. All fine, but when we got into the inclosure, 8 or 9 ponies cantered up to us and milled around trying to get close (yearlings, I think). Not entirely Hogans fault, as something spooked them and they galloped off, leaving a very confused excited cob. Cue rearing, head tossing and refusing to move for 5 minutes. Sat it out and pushed and pushed for him to go forward, which he eventually did, albeit very bouncy and silly. Next, a fly (crab I think) , so more bouncy silly. I'm counting it as a good (ish) ride, as I now know I can sit it out, and we can get on with business. He is a little s*** though - he throws back his head to unbalance me, then rears - I have his measure though - it's worked for him somewhere in his past, not now though!!

Well Hogan blotted his copy book today. We hardly ever go out later in the day, but it's been wet every morning, so off we went at 3.30. All fine, but when we got into the inclosure, 8 or 9 ponies cantered up to us and milled around trying to get close (yearlings, I think). Not entirely Hogans fault, as something spooked them and they galloped off, leaving a very confused excited cob. Cue rearing, head tossing and refusing to move for 5 minutes. Sat it out and pushed and pushed for him to go forward, which he eventually did, albeit very bouncy and silly. Next, a fly (crab I think) , so more bouncy silly. I'm counting it as a good (ish) ride, as I now know I can sit it out, and we can get on with business. He is a little s*** though - he throws back his head to unbalance me, then rears - I have his measure though - it's worked for him somewhere in his past, not now though!!
You are so brave! Well done. Rotten flies eh. Glad we don't have the crab flies. Though the regular horse flies are out now up here. As you say, it's a confidence builder for you, cos you know you can sit it out and move on.

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Crab flies are the worst. They just settle, scuttle around, and as soon as disturbed keep doing it. You can't swat them, you have to catch and crack between your nails. I'm quite a squeamish person, but I hate them so much I can quite happily do it.

Eekk Huggy, Robin would have had a complete meltdown at that!

Had a great ride today. Went hacked to bottom field for some schooling. He was great. I really need to do some dressage comps in a field as he is so much easier in a lot of ways. The head went up and he got excited twice and he needed reminded not to bulge his body out the right a couple of times but he was sooo good. Had a short canter each way. When we got back I realised we had been schooling for 20mins and he wasn’t tired at all. He seemed really pleased with himself as we bounced home.

When you drenched in sweat at 530 am with as little clothes on as possible to not be arrested..
Its going to be too hot to ride ugh.

I did re arrange the 2 sets of cavaletti near the new pen and do the flower pots.
They look ok

I had a little friend when I moved the upturned pots to fill.

20210629_070227.jpg20210629_070058.jpg20210629_063720.jpg

Attachments

• 20210629_070205.jpg
    20210629_070205.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: GaryB and Trewsers
newrider.com