2021 Hacking and Riding

Well if the worse was hitting a tree stump. Thats fine. Cant cope with here wrapping it round any parked cars. Dont think the wheels got buckled. At least i hope not as i know i cant source replacement wheels and tyres as there an odd size. No longer in production.

Apparently someone brought her a riding lesson last week as a thankyou present. I had actually suggested she gets a few lessons as i cant teach her the proper riding. When i asked how it went she was a bit vague. She did say she had to change horse as the one she was put on planted. But there wasnt much other feedback so i dont think she took on instruction, i think she just saw it as a ride, not learning how to be become a better rider. Maybe shes still too young to understand what it takes to be a good rider although she is a bright child on some things.

At least it was sunny this morning. Nice ride, though still a bit reluctant - his diet is having an effect now - he's grass/bracken/bramble grabbing, and its driving me nuts! I don't often get cross with him, but I had to hang onto my temper today. Still managed a good few trots, so not a total loss.

Our Friday hack this week was to a local beauty spot called Kinver Edge. We opted for a 6 mile ride as the horses were going XC the next day. Despite the forecast rain we stayed dry and we also found a nice sandy canter track for a play.

Saturday was an XC clinic with an instructor I have used before - she is particularly good at helping if anything goes wrong. Again the forecast was rain and we kept (mostly) dry. Apart from one run out which was my fault Harvey went pretty well. We were mostly riding groups of fences with curving lines.

Sunday was a nice hack round on our own.

Harvey as keen as ever :)
P8079391-X2.jpg

P8079291-X2.jpg

P8079684-X2.jpg

P8079981-X2.jpg

I wouldn't want to fall in this water!
P8079903-X2.jpg

Hacking
10 miles
2 hours 45

Schooling
1 hour

Totals
Schooling
17 hours 15

Hacking
284.5 miles
84 hours 55

Ohhhhh GEORGOUS TRAIL...

We have 4 really bad days coming.

I'm probably only getting one low key play in.

We have high heat alerts.

Right now its windy and was foggy ovetcast that was coming and going.

Soon it will be blaring sun.

I hope after Saturday this is it and things stay cooler and B52,s GO away

Reactions: Trewsers
Dont know if this is any use to you. But if a horse I hack puts its nose to eat, I walk two or three steps on a very short tight rein and then relax again. That taught Maisie. My old share would eat in canter when the grass grew long, this time of year. A bit dangerous. I stopped that with a Mark Rashid technique of subtle rein communication, even on a long rein, which worked fine. I am planning to get a finer rein for my current share as you need sensitivity along it. I was planning a different bit for the old share but Rashid declined to sell me one until I had tried his other ways. He had known me and my riding for many years and it worked. My current share has stiff reins and I guess a hard mouth. I dont feel any sensitivity there. But as far as the eating goes, she doesnt do it now.

Dont know if this is any use to you. But if a horse I hack puts its nose to eat, I walk two or three steps on a very short tight rein and then relax again. That taught Maisie. My old share would eat in canter when the grass grew long, this time of year. A bit dangerous. I stopped that with a Mark Rashid technique of subtle rein communication, even on a long rein, which worked fine. I am planning to get a finer rein for my current share as you need sensitivity along it. I was planning a different bit for the old share but Rashid declined to sell me one until I had tried his other ways. He had known me and my riding for many years and it worked. My current share has stiff reins and I guess a hard mouth. I dont feel any sensitivity there. But as far as the eating goes, she doesnt do it now.
I'll try that, thanks. Hogan has an incredibly tough mouth. I don't pull on the reins - he does it to himself. At the moment I tighten the reins as we pass the bracken (which is Hogan face height!) and say NO!, but he's crafty - he'll pretend he's not going to do it, then as we're almost past, he'll grab at it. Very wearing, and very irritating!

• Haha
Reactions: horseandgoatmom
No riding for us as he is on box rest. I feel a bit selfish at being upset I can’t ride. After the winter of many illnesses we were finally back riding pretty well as normal.

However after speaking to vet again yesterday (does anyone else find they just don’t take in on the initial visit?) makes me feel more confident this isn’t career ending and is just an injury that will get better. It has rained pretty solidly while he has been in which has helped him being happier to stay in and is also softening the ground (we had several weeks of no rain and so ground was like concrete) for him to hopefully get out sooner.

He is needing a lot of entertainment and he is just being a silly clown and it is actually quite nice spending time just doing nothing and being in each other’s company. Not sure how I managed to spend 7 hours on yard yesterday!

So I’m grumpy cos I really want to ride but hopefully it won’t be forever.

• Sad
Reactions: GaryB
I'll try that, thanks. Hogan has an incredibly tough mouth. I don't pull on the reins - he does it to himself. At the moment I tighten the reins as we pass the bracken (which is Hogan face height!) and say NO!, but he's crafty - he'll pretend he's not going to do it, then as we're almost past, he'll grab at it. Very wearing, and very irritating!
I agree. The bracken is very high just now and the paths I sometimes ride are narrow. So what I learned from Rashid and others too is that before one moves off after mounting, one should wait for the head to relax and come down.
Then the rein (sorry if I said this already) links the most sensitive part of the human to the most sensitive part of the horse. My current share also leans on the rein. If I relax my hands she may stumble, so the temptation is to get a hold of the reins and kick her on. I have not solved this yet, But I want to get her so I can have a loose rein. And have her thinking about tiny adjustments from my finger.
On my old share we had to walk up a long avenue with hedgerow to the left. So she would turn her head to the left. But after Rashid explained to me about constant communication through a long rein, the tiniest touch on the long right rein would keep her nose central. I am not pretending this is RS easy peasy to do.

You have to relax and also relax the head of the horse and then touch the rein to keep her nose central -may be moving the nose only an inch, or even nothing at all, if it is just a reminder touch.

By controlling the nose before the head goes down, what you are really doing is controlling what the horse is looking at. Before the horse take s the decision to eat, it takes a look and you control the looking.
I think it is the succession of tiny touches which reminds the horse that you are controllng its attention and not wanting it to eat. And one can try it out on part of the track where there is no actual food to reach for.
Carthorse asked me yesterday on what occasions I would not ride the horse from nose to tail. This is an example. One is riding (controlling and guiding) the nose, But the horse is thinking about that. It is on the receiving end of on going instruction. And your leg just keeps it moving forward.
Most horses are not used to being ridden like this with communication through the rein. So it may take a bit of time. My problem with my current share is her napping and turning for home. I guess she is used to being ridden heavy handed. If I shorten the reins she prepares for an upwards transition. And I am ashamed to say, I was so cross and weary with her napping that yesterday I didnt ride her home nicely. I made her work and put her feet where I told her to. So although I am describing what I used to like to do, I havent yet got there on the current opinionated witch.

I agree. The bracken is very high just now and the paths I sometimes ride are narrow. So what I learned from Rashid and others too is that before one moves off after mounting, one should wait for the head to relax and come down.
Then the rein (sorry if I said this already) links the most sensitive part of the human to the most sensitive part of the horse. My current share also leans on the rein. If I relax my hands she may stumble, so the temptation is to get a hold of the reins and kick her on. I have not solved this yet, But I want to get her so I can have a loose rein. And have her thinking about tiny adjustments from my finger.
On my old share we had to walk up a long avenue with hedgerow to the left. So she would turn her head to the left. But after Rashid explained to me about constant communication through a long rein, the tiniest touch on the long right rein would keep her nose central. I am not pretending this is RS easy peasy to do.

You have to relax and also relax the head of the horse and then touch the rein to keep her nose central -may be moving the nose only an inch, or even nothing at all, if it is just a reminder touch.

By controlling the nose before the head goes down, what you are really doing is controlling what the horse is looking at. Before the horse take s the decision to eat, it takes a look and you control the looking.
I think it is the succession of tiny touches which reminds the horse that you are controllng its attention and not wanting it to eat. And one can try it out on part of the track where there is no actual food to reach for.
Carthorse asked me yesterday on what occasions I would not ride the horse from nose to tail. This is an example. One is riding (controlling and guiding) the nose, But the horse is thinking about that. It is on the receiving end of on going instruction. And your leg just keeps it moving forward.
Most horses are not used to being ridden like this with communication through the rein. So it may take a bit of time. My problem with my current share is her napping and turning for home. I guess she is used to being ridden heavy handed. If I shorten the reins she prepares for an upwards transition. And I am ashamed to say, I was so cross and weary with her napping that yesterday I didnt ride her home nicely. I made her work and put her feet where I told her to. So although I am describing what I used to like to do, I havent yet got there on the current opinionated witch.
Funnily enough, I use the principle of gentle squeezes on his lead rope, not pulls, but a tightening of my grip, then release, when I'm leading him to the field (LOTS of bracken and grass on a narrow track!), it works quite well - usually. Sadly, it didn't yesterday - head went down, I pulled with all my strength, rope broke and I shot backwards flat out on my back - thank goodness for a soft landing. I wonder if I can teach this old dog new tricks? He's generally quite receptive to the gentle approach - you cannot fight him - you'd always lose. So far he's responded well to quieter handling, though I can't deny that I've lost the plot a few times and flailed my legs around like a kid at pony club at his slowness. I hate hate hate pulling at his mouth with this eating lark (though actually HE'S doing the pulling!) Maybe a ride devoted to just dealing with that is in order. And I identify with "cross and weary", I really do!

• Wow
Reactions: horseandgoatmom
I rode this morning. I didn't have long so we did the route with 2 steep uphills to get him puffing.

He really didn't want to go out - moved away from the saddle and the mounting block - but then was good. I think he is way too comfortable in his field! We did the hills at a smart walk or a trot if he preferred and had two or three good long trots within the 40 odd minutes we were out.

A couple of earshots from the tracks:

View attachment 107797View attachment 107798

I led him down the steep gully to save his tootsies on the road. He was happy about that

View attachment 107799

And we discovered something that horses like to eat: sphagnum moss, one of my favourite plants on the Heath.

View attachment 107800
I dont think ive noticed the heather out here yet - must pay attention and look next ride!

newrider.com