2021 Hacking and Riding

Its temptation alley at this time of year with everything in full leaf and across the tracks.

Chunky did it with me in the early days of owning him. I was stuggling like you Huggy. Chunky was exactly the same either head down or grabs and he lunges a couple of steps as he knows the whip is coming. No amount of leg squeezes, a tap with the whip and a 'no' cured him.
One day i got so fed up i really lost my rag. So i decided to kind of set him up to fail. I gathered the reins so i had good contact, casual pottling along, as he went to eat. He got a pretty firm solid whip on his rump, kicked in the sides at the same moment. With the most almighty loud 'No'. He really didnt expect the force of everything at once, in particular the whip. He shot forward with a very large step, almost a leap actually. I pulled him straight to a stop. With the firm rein contact in place it didnt unseat me with the motion. But he was like holly crap what just happened. It was all it took though. Occasionally he would try but i was able to just say no and either light kick on or light whip.
Ive taken the same approach with Billy too. Im afraid i set him up to fail in his very early backed days. He might try to grab munches on occasion even now but hes much more sensitive than chunky so a real sharp no, with gentle leg or whip gets the message through.
Chunky will try it with the kids too. I was riding behind him the one day as he tried to grab so he got a solid strike of a whip from me. Think he thought it was his rider. Well it sorted it for her.

Hes trying it on with his new rider currently on most rides. She either laughs when he grabs food or lets out a silly screatches. I told her the other day if she laughs hes going to do it even more. She taps with the whip but too lightly so to him it has no meaning. I would rather she just smack him good and proper the once to fix the issue.

Maybe a ride devoted to just dealing with that is in order.
Our RI whose old lesson horse was my first share told people that I schooled as I hacked. I didnt understand what she meant. She had noticed I was always asking the horse to do stuff, but I thought of that as making sure I stayed safe with the horse doing as I asked. I would like to return to the time when Ella really enjoyed a hack with me, and I gave her the freedom to look about her. But I dont think it is you or me that is the problem. It is the August weather?

For your young rider, children are soft hearted. I would explain to her in Rashid terms. Horses need to earn their living. It is in their genes to maximise food input, but the rule is they dont eat while they are working. Having a bridle or head collar on means a horse is working, earning its living. That means they eat only when they have no tack on, no halter and no bridle.
Explain to her that thousands of years ago horse herds survived and adapted to very poor grazing. They grabbed any food in sight, but nowadays, eating all they want makes horses get ill. So a good rider who loves their horse will stop them. I feel it a disgrace if my horse gets anything, though it has happened once with Ella.
You could let her mark on a sheet of paper each time she has a ride and manages not to let the horse snack.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huggy
Max was sneaky.
Thats why what you said about huggy made me laugh.
He was quite the character.

Sonny is overall pretty good but I ride bitless and even when we went to parks and places he got a fair amount of grazing stops in the good places.

Andi has always been the one to be a brat and push boundaries.

Reactions: Huggy
He is so greedy at the best of times, and atm he's getting basically scrub in the little bit of field he's in. He's definitely got worse over the last week or so, now that "starvation" (in his eyes, that is) is kicking in. I find it frustrating having to be after him all the time, and I think taking on board what both of you are saying, it's going to be a ride devoted purely to stopping this that may be the way forward. Watch this space.

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
I have gone to town and splashed out on a new pair of reins, identical to the ones on my old share. Plain leather. Nothing to grip but I hope better communication. I fear I do not ride her as well as I ought.

Now you make me feel bad. I went and purchased a new set of reins the other week, as the pimples had worn so much i had nothing to grip when horse got strong.
The reins that came on a market harborough i brought are just plain leather. I really struggled as they had no grip. So had to give up using the market harborough. It was too much for me negotiating better head carriage and rein slip together.

• Sad
My reins are ancient - had them all through Ramsey's time. But I love them - they're quite narrow, and plaited leather, so there's a good grip on them. I dread them dying on me!

Ive never ridden with plaited reins but whenever ive felt them in tack shops theyve never felt thick enough in my hands. Guess i just like something to hold onto. On my unpredictable loony for hacks it must be something solid in hand.

Good hack today. I concentrated solely on not letting him dip'n'grab, and he didn't get a single mouthful! Tightened hand on the rein at every grassy/brackeny spot, and if he tried for it anyway, said "NO!" in what passes for an authoritative tone for me. We passed some chaps fixing a fence down the lane, in the bushes!!!! Hogan's such a yob - he was alarmed, but strutted up to them, flinching but determined - I swear he has no flight mode, just not in his DNA. One guy loved him - "Oh a cob - just my type - leg at each corner, built like a brick outhouse." I'm mulling over whether it was a compliment 🤔. Also think I've discovered something. I gather the reins to trot, and keep them at that length usually. Today, it took much less effort to keep him going if I loosen them while we're trotting. I doubt we look very pretty that way, but it was lovely and flowing. Also, first farrier appt with no sedative - he fell asleep.Screenshot_20210813-125240_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210813-125249_Gallery.jpg

Good hack today. I concentrated solely on not letting him dip'n'grab, and he didn't get a single mouthful! Tightened hand on the rein at every grassy/brackeny spot, and if he tried for it anyway, said "NO!" in what passes for an authoritative tone for me. We passed some chaps fixing a fence down the lane, in the bushes!!!! Hogan's such a yob - he was alarmed, but strutted up to them, flinching but determined - I swear he has no flight mode, just not in his DNA. One guy loved him - "Oh a cob - just my type - leg at each corner, built like a brick outhouse." I'm mulling over whether it was a compliment 🤔. Also think I've discovered something. I gather the reins to trot, and keep them at that length usually. Today, it took much less effort to keep him going if I loosen them while we're trotting. I doubt we look very pretty that way, but it was lovely and flowing. Also, first farrier appt with no sedative - he fell asleep.View attachment 107900View attachment 107901
That's great news with the farrier! Well done Hogan. And who cares about pretty either? Trot is trot and enjoyable for you (hopefully), and if that works.....

Ive never ridden with plaited reins but whenever ive felt them in tack shops theyve never felt thick enough in my hands. Guess i just like something to hold onto. On my unpredictable loony for hacks it must be something solid in hand.
Yeah the plaited reins I still have that came with Joe are quite narrow compared to Zi's bridle and reins. I had really workmanlike ones for Storm - like you, something solid for when the going gets "interesting" 😬

We set off this morning in a light drizzle, but very warm. As we turned down into the back lane I could hear voices and activity behind the hedge of the big house on the corner. Dread set in, and through the hedge I could see tents, vehicles and a barbeque. All within about 10 feet of the hedge. Was he bothered? Not one bit. Lovely ride, thanks for all the advice re grabbing food - much improved today, with slightly less effort on my part. Also, definitely more forward trotting with a loose rein - mind you, heaven help me if he spooks! Taking grandchildren out for a little ride this afternoon - watch this space......Screenshot_20210815-112726_Gallery.jpgyou can see my problem with the bracken - and this is the wide track!

We set off this morning in a light drizzle, but very warm. As we turned down into the back lane I could hear voices and activity behind the hedge of the big house on the corner. Dread set in, and through the hedge I could see tents, vehicles and a barbeque. All within about 10 feet of the hedge. Was he bothered? Not one bit. Lovely ride, thanks for all the advice re grabbing food - much improved today, with slightly less effort on my part. Also, definitely more forward trotting with a loose rein - mind you, heaven help me if he spooks! Taking grandchildren out for a little ride this afternoon - watch this space......View attachment 107927you can see my problem with the bracken - and this is the wide track!
Lucky grandchildren!!! You must be the best granny in the world - wish mine nan had had a pony lol

Well Hogan did not disgrace himself - good lad looked after all 3, good as gold, despite the musical chairs! His lowest moment was doing a smash and grab at the grass as we were setting off - my daughter thought it was very, very funny.Screenshot_20210815-175116_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20210815-182733_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210815-183106_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210815-183128_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210815-182706_Video Player.jpg

newrider.com