2021 Hacking and Riding

No riding today for chunky. His little rider came yesterday and we did nearly 4 miles. He had a good canter along the road side verge and actually made it nearly all the way before getting tired, so hes getting fitter. His rider even said he was quite forward. However when we were heading back down the hill to home he went very ploddy. Its very steep where we came down. Ironically i did think he walked down the bit of bank quite slow in the field as we were about to get the boys in.
Well i went to turn them back out after the ride and chunky just stopped and planted before we got into the field. Got him to walk on a bit, planted again. Get him into the field and he reluctantly walked on so instead of going down the first steep bit back to his paddock, i walked him across the bank. He then started to trot. Im like what the heck. Got down to a flatter section he walked across fine. Then going down the next steep bit he plants a further 2 times. Get him into his paddock and hes standing resting his back leg. I looked at his back and think you look swollen in your usual area. Ran my hand along his back and when i got to that point he shot forward. So something going on. Its as if something pinched him as i pressed. Going to ring the physio tomorrow and see if she can come out.

The strip grazing was on the flatest bit of field but to get to the water it was down the bank. Wonder if hes not had enough movement with having to keep Billy restricted. Ive moved the two boys up onto the flatter area of the field today. So theyve got an acre to walk around in now, rather than the strip grazing. Grass is shorter not the 8 inch fresh flush they were on so hopefully not so rich. Downside Billy can now charge round more. Eek. Boy was he doing so whilst we were trying to sort out a new water supply for the paddock.

No riding today for chunky. His little rider came yesterday and we did nearly 4 miles. He had a good canter along the road side verge and actually made it nearly all the way before getting tired, so hes getting fitter. His rider even said he was quite forward. However when we were heading back down the hill to home he went very ploddy. Its very steep where we came down. Ironically i did think he walked down the bit of bank quite slow in the field as we were about to get the boys in.
Well i went to turn them back out after the ride and chunky just stopped and planted before we got into the field. Got him to walk on a bit, planted again. Get him into the field and he reluctantly walked on so instead of going down the first steep bit back to his paddock, i walked him across the bank. He then started to trot. Im like what the heck. Got down to a flatter section he walked across fine. Then going down the next steep bit he plants a further 2 times. Get him into his paddock and hes standing resting his back leg. I looked at his back and think you look swollen in your usual area. Ran my hand along his back and when i got to that point he shot forward. So something going on. Its as if something pinched him as i pressed. Going to ring the physio tomorrow and see if she can come out.

The strip grazing was on the flatest bit of field but to get to the water it was down the bank. Wonder if hes not had enough movement with having to keep Billy restricted. Ive moved the two boys up onto the flatter area of the field today. So theyve got an acre to walk around in now, rather than the strip grazing. Grass is shorter not the 8 inch fresh flush they were on so hopefully not so rich. Downside Billy can now charge round more. Eek. Boy was he doing so whilst we were trying to sort out a new water supply for the paddock.
Poor boy, hope it's not too bad.

I almost didn't go out today, as at 6.30 it was raining, but went to the yard at 7.30 and it had stopped - Hogan wasn't even wet. A good ride - one little buckeroo over goodness knows what, but I have to accept he is not Ramsey, who never bucked in his life. Hogans not trying to buck me off, he's just having a teeny tantrum, and 9 times out of 10 he stops, and we just get on with it. He was sweaty when we got home, so at least we got some work done!

A very Autumnal weekend. I decided to make use of the good weather on Friday to go off hacking somewhere new. I am in a local group which provides parking places to hack from and some routes to try, so I took myself on one if then. Harvey and I had a nice 2 hour hack in the sun, mostly on bridleways and with one glorious long canter along a field edge (we basically have no canters accessible from the yard).

On Saturday a nice hour's hack with our new livery (only in walk as her horse is on rehabilitation).

Sunday was a horrid day and drizzled most of the time so Harvey had a day off.

Monday was SJ training. A and my OH had been XC fence judging and got a free arena hire voucher, so we took YO with us for a schooling session. It was a new venue to me which is always fun. We started at 95cm and then moved up to 105cm, but Harvey was hot and felt tired so I didn't do too much at 105cm. He has to be sedated to be clipped and I am waiting on the vet to bring the sedative, and for his full Winter coat to grow before he is clipped.

I think it was a BS course - it had a double and a triple in it (gulp!)

Posh jumps!
PA252238-X2.jpg

PA252335-X2.jpg

The triple
PA252391-X2.jpg

PA252441-X2.jpg

This was one of the 105cm jumps

PA252512-X2.jpg

Video of the 95cm round

Hacking
11 miles
3 hours

schooling
1 hour

Totals
Schooling
24 hours 10

Hacking
390 miles
120 hours 45

I may have done a thing (which will not be mentioned) and so I thought we had better go in the school and see if we can still do circles. And thought a few strides of canter. He thought this was an excellent idea. He was desperate to show off what he could do. Along with a fresh clip and fairly windy day. I did have to spend the first few mins doing nothing as he was so keen he would have taken very little to have an eruption. Safe to say nothing has been forgotten and he was so so so good. I had very little to ask him as no corrections needed. We did have a little canter each way. First way I thought I would ask going in to the corner. Other way he was being “clever” and not actually waiting until I asked but forwards soft and keen is good. He very much earned his polos.

A very Autumnal weekend. I decided to make use of the good weather on Friday to go off hacking somewhere new. I am in a local group which provides parking places to hack from and some routes to try, so I took myself on one if then. Harvey and I had a nice 2 hour hack in the sun, mostly on bridleways and with one glorious long canter along a field edge (we basically have no canters accessible from the yard).

On Saturday a nice hour's hack with our new livery (only in walk as her horse is on rehabilitation).

Sunday was a horrid day and drizzled most of the time so Harvey had a day off.

Monday was SJ training. A and my OH had been XC fence judging and got a free arena hire voucher, so we took YO with us for a schooling session. It was a new venue to me which is always fun. We started at 95cm and then moved up to 105cm, but Harvey was hot and felt tired so I didn't do too much at 105cm. He has to be sedated to be clipped and I am waiting on the vet to bring the sedative, and for his full Winter coat to grow before he is clipped.

I think it was a BS course - it had a double and a triple in it (gulp!)

Posh jumps!
PA252238-X2.jpg

PA252335-X2.jpg

The triple
PA252391-X2.jpg

PA252441-X2.jpg

This was one of the 105cm jumps

PA252512-X2.jpg

Video of the 95cm round

Hacking
11 miles
3 hours

schooling
1 hour

Totals
Schooling
24 hours 10

Hacking
390 miles
120 hours 45
He's a jumping machine!

Reactions: GaryB
Thought so. There arena is massive. I had a lesson in it sometime ago.
Thats quite a trek from you. You were only about 10 mins from me. You must have almost driven past the end of my road.

Plenty of room in my yard to park if you fancy a hack. Just need to get myself another horse to ride.

Reactions: GaryB
Thats quite a trek from you. You were only about 10 mins from me. You must have almost driven past the end of my road.

Plenty of room in my yard to park if you fancy a hack. Just need to get myself another horse to ride.
Yes - it was over 50 miles each way.

NR meetup when you have a mount!

Gosh @GaryB Harvey loves his job, he always looks so happy over the jumps.

@Huggy sorry to hear Chunky is not right, hope he is better soon.

We had a lovely ride today with my friend Uta, on her horse Finn and leading her little 10hh oldie Maisie. For once Sid and I went behind and he immediately activated riding school donkey mode. So relaxing, he didn't spook or turn a hair at anything, and we trotted when Finn trotted and cantered (nice fast canters, Finn is 16hh) when he cantered. So easy, ha ha! We were out about an hour and a half, lovely.

Now he has a few days off before my lesson on Monday.

Reactions: GaryB and Huggy
Does this look like the face of an angel who has just boiled over??
“Let’s canter sensibly up this field Robin.”
“No can do mum. Best I can manage is a fast sideways tranter with extra head shakes.”
CE0A2466-6598-47B0-A5A1-FCF637A19119.jpeg

Just played in the cavaletti pen with
MR MUDBALL.

He was fine and didnt need any blowing it out.

I do hope Levi is a good boy when Toni does the same thing so she doesn't cancel.

It really will be fun to play with someone else.

20211031_105934.jpg

20211031_105854.jpg

20211031_105740.jpg

I don't think he could pack much more mud on

We are ready to play
Tombstones and ghosts etc are back out

I did alter the tombstones to make a wider path for toni to bring Levi thru.
20211031_101923.jpg

20211031_105740.jpg

20211031_103025.jpg

• Love
Reactions: GaryB and Trewsers
It’s so frustrating. The road is closed. Between 9.15 and 3pm with no access to yard. They refuse to open the road till 2.59 even if the work is finished for the day. With clocks changing it means there is very little light left to hack. Also with the work the road isn’t actually safe to ride on and most of the hacking is over the other side of the road closed. He is perfectly happy to go in the school but too often and he gets bored and silly. Plus with his hocks and the surface isn’t ideal I don’t really feel the need to.
So we went down the drive and along the lane. All you can do tho is turn and come back. But it is 2.5 miles in total so useful.

He was in a spooky mood and so we huffed and puffed down the road. Another livery bringing her horse in and saw him spooking at something/nothing and just laughed. The houses on the left were utterly terrifying. As for the fallen over sunflower….

However he got over himself and we had a couple of lovely longish trots. Perfect outline, straightness and softness. I could have trotted all day. Very forwards without rushing, even heading home. I took my feet out of the stirrups on the way home. He offered a trot, I did lightly hold the front of the saddle but I didn’t actually bounce or slip off the stride. I’m presuming as he was soft in his back this made it easier. He has the biggest movement ever and sitting trot is not easy. He seems remarkably fit on relatively little work now that his tummy is feeling better again.

newrider.com