2022 Hacking and Riding

Lunge session so put it here. Weather is pants cloudy and blustery.
It's the first time I have used this grass arena and it was interesting to me that she lowered her head on the approach to the riverbank and on leaving the riverbank (bearing in mind I had started with her away from it, she'd gradually headed in that direction herself)

FILE0002_9253.jpg

FILE0002_4932.jpg

Very warm today, and despite being really fed up with some persistent crab flies, Hogan was a poppet. I could feel him wanting to explode with irritation, but he managed not to, bless him. Add to that, all the dogs we met today REALLY wanted to play with him (2 of which had bells on - he doesn't like bells), I call it a win that I actually enjoyed our ride. Its lovely too, when people admire him, icing on the cake 😌.Screenshot_20220527-204040_Gallery.jpg

Out this morning, despite sleeping in. I was convinced he was going to be a pain, as he came out of the field glaring at something I couldn't see, and jogged into the barn like his tail was on fire. He surprised me by being rather good, and quite forward. Also surprised me with an impromptu jump in trot, over a pile of pony poo under what can only be called a twig. Couple of days off now, as looking after grandchildren.

Out this morning, despite sleeping in. I was convinced he was going to be a pain, as he came out of the field glaring at something I couldn't see, and jogged into the barn like his tail was on fire. He surprised me by being rather good, and quite forward. Also surprised me with an impromptu jump in trot, over a pile of pony poo under what can only be called a twig. Couple of days off now, as looking after grandchildren.
Lol love the jumping over the pony poo! Hope he's good for you after your grandchildren duties:)

Lol Huggy...I could only ever hope for 6:30.
I actually had a 5:45 recently and felt blessed.
Waking really early ugh is a curse.
But it's not like I don't go to bed early.

Today it was 3am Ugh NO WAY I was going back to sleep so I made coffee at 3:45.
We got a bit of rain so hopefully things are not so dry.

Hopefully some play early It's going to be rather hot....but WOO HOO only 66f Wednesday.

Friday was a nice hack with A around the roads

On Saturday I took A to a local off road riding. We had a nice play including several flat out gallops. After that I gave Harvey a lazy day on Sunday with just a short hack

i-jkgfQh9-X2.jpg

i-jHSvkMv-X2.jpg

Bit of a browband malfunction!
i-ndDbgwF-X2.jpg

i-wtpg3hf-X2.jpg

i-T9XBs8H-X2.jpg
i-r9jcDRd-X2.jpg

Tired Harvey!
i-tNbSzbR-X2.jpg

Hacking
3.5 hours
11 miles

Totals

Schooling
11 hours 20

Hacking
203.5 miles
58 hours

I had a new horse today. Sid's saddle was refitted earlier in the week and this was my first hack since.

No stressing when we got out onto the road. No bunny hops of protest at the direction I chose. No tail swishing in trot transitions, just a lovely smooth change. No napping or stopping despite Trial By Bunting as we went through the village.

I think Sid is happy with his newly fitted saddle....

I've had two hacks - Thursday and today, both pretty good, apart from Hogan treating the whole ride like his own personal smorgasbord - little bit here, little bit there and ooh, there's a tasty branch. Demon Hogan showed up momentarily, as usual for no particular reason, but its very short, and easily vanquished. Our trots are much better now - definitely covering more distance in less time.

Sid and I went out in company this morning with Uta and Finbar.

Sid was just great. Newly Fitted Saddle Sid is right back to the goodest he has been since I got him, nearly foot perfect. Seamless smooth trot transitions, all I need to ask for canter is to sit down and give a tiny squeeze or a little click and he's away into that big, smooth, rolling gait. He really is a rocking horse at canter. No bucking or even a suggestion that he might be thinking about bucking! One big sideways spook, though, at nothing at all, the muppet. His reins were on the buckle and he didn't try anything apart from the jump, didn't even put his head down. I just sat tight. He's not very gymnastic, so even a full sideways isn't too hard to sit.

He's getting bad about walking off when he's mounted, though, and he doesn't like to stand while we're out if it means I am going to do the girth up! I'll work on that in our next lesson.

I did notice when I got off him that I had been riding a horse for 1.5 hours who was a LOT WIDER than he was before. So that saddle was really holding his shoulders in. No wonder the poor chap was switching his tail when he was asked for an upwards transition.

Robin was terrible for getting on when I got him. He would run backwards and to the left so made it difficult. Past owner had let he move off and would do girth etc on the move.

He very quickly learned stand still, tighten girth. Then he gets his polo and off we go. He has me so well trained he won’t move until he has had his polo!! I keep the polo treat just for that job.

newrider.com