And we’re there...

A longer (14 mile) fun ride today, met with our friends again and trundled off in another direction.

I avoid high lodge at weekends and school holidays as it’s too busy, but weekdays are normally ok there. Well today we met the school trip 🤣 dozens of kids that looked about 7 years old, all excitedly trundling through the forest with their rucksacks 😬 so we quickly diverted off rather than trying to walk past them!
IMG_8983.jpeg
After that we saw very few people for a few miles, it makes me chuckle how Monkey always has grumpy ears on behind but perky ears when in front, he likes to follow as doesn’t need to worry so much but he’d much prefer to lead.
IMG_8984.jpegIMG_8985.jpegIMG_8986.jpeg
We headed for Thetford Warren Lodge, the area is swathed in yellow gorse at the moment
IMG_8988.jpeg
What are these two scheming about? 🤔😜
IMG_8995.jpeg
IMG_8996.jpeg
Then down to the main road, it’s 60mph and very busy and this was the first time I’ve taken Monkey along it at all (only about 50m on a car width verge) and he didn’t so much as flinch as the cars passing us and they sure as hell didn’t slow down to 10mph, most didn’t slow at all.

Then we crossed and got back into the forest for some lovely long trots and canters. Eventually we popped out on a bridleway across a big livery yard with a cross country course, how very handy! So we had a play on the jumps along the bridleway. Monkey jumped 1 out of about 20 logs 🤦‍♀️ but he’s got a very gymnastic trot on him 😍 fun none the less!

More speedy fun through the forest down to the river, but it’s still very swollen and fast and I’d guess would be up to the bottom of the boys saddles so we decided to go another way around. Monkey did very well facing the big highland cows, all 5 were in the holding pen eating straw, which meant less than 10m from the road we were on 😬 he was wary but had it handled until Frosty skitted and slipped, clattering shoes on tarmac made Monkey jump! We led Frosty back over the level crossing to his lorry then had to head back the same way alone, and he was a star about it with just 1 pause to assess the situation 🤩

Then we just had the last couple of miles home alone, he was very chilled and feeling nosey, looking in every house we passed in the village 😝
IMG_8997.jpeg
Once through there he happily picked up the pace and we whizzed home 😁
IMG_9001.jpeg

A longer (14 mile) fun ride today, met with our friends again and trundled off in another direction.

I avoid high lodge at weekends and school holidays as it’s too busy, but weekdays are normally ok there. Well today we met the school trip 🤣 dozens of kids that looked about 7 years old, all excitedly trundling through the forest with their rucksacks 😬 so we quickly diverted off rather than trying to walk past them!
View attachment 122047
After that we saw very few people for a few miles, it makes me chuckle how Monkey always has grumpy ears on behind but perky ears when in front, he likes to follow as doesn’t need to worry so much but he’d much prefer to lead.
View attachment 122048View attachment 122049View attachment 122050
We headed for Thetford Warren Lodge, the area is swathed in yellow gorse at the moment
View attachment 122051
What are these two scheming about? 🤔😜
View attachment 122052
View attachment 122053
Then down to the main road, it’s 60mph and very busy and this was the first time I’ve taken Monkey along it at all (only about 50m on a car width verge) and he didn’t so much as flinch as the cars passing us and they sure as hell didn’t slow down to 10mph, most didn’t slow at all.

Then we crossed and got back into the forest for some lovely long trots and canters. Eventually we popped out on a bridleway across a big livery yard with a cross country course, how very handy! So we had a play on the jumps along the bridleway. Monkey jumped 1 out of about 20 logs 🤦‍♀️ but he’s got a very gymnastic trot on him 😍 fun none the less!

More speedy fun through the forest down to the river, but it’s still very swollen and fast and I’d guess would be up to the bottom of the boys saddles so we decided to go another way around. Monkey did very well facing the big highland cows, all 5 were in the holding pen eating straw, which meant less than 10m from the road we were on 😬 he was wary but had it handled until Frosty skitted and slipped, clattering shoes on tarmac made Monkey jump! We led Frosty back over the level crossing to his lorry then had to head back the same way alone, and he was a star about it with just 1 pause to assess the situation 🤩

Then we just had the last couple of miles home alone, he was very chilled and feeling nosey, looking in every house we passed in the village 😝
View attachment 122054
Once through there he happily picked up the pace and we whizzed home 😁
View attachment 122059
He's going to be fit as a fiddle!

Reactions: Jessey
When you do a longer ride than normal, you wonder don't you, were they fit enough?, was it too much?, are they stiff/sore? and about a million other things. Since Monday night Monkey has shown me that the answers to those 3 are yes, no, no!

In fact he's been pinging, cantering around me playfully when I'm taking hay out to the field, galloping off bouncing when let onto the grass at night, and generally full of bouncy beans! 😁 he did 30 miles ridden over 3 days (with 1 day off in the middle), so I'd say he's pretty fit for March!

Reactions: domane
I was fencing this morning then sat down for a breather and Monkey instantly clocked me and came marching round to hang out with me 🥰 I’ve been doing some TTouch mouth work on him, and he hung his head in my lap while I did it. Then demanded scratches in various places, including cocking his hind leg at me, right into my lap! Twice! Then he moved around behind me and was just generally pestering me and licking me, my clothes, my chair, weird horse!
IMG_9037.jpeg
Then we had a lovely ride, Monkey was stupidly chilled (the mouth work is meant to reduce anxiety), I don’t think he could walk any slower 😂

To wake him up I asked for canter as soon as we got onto a wider track, he was a bit surprised, half went to canter but only managed an unsure trot until I asked again and reassured him I was serious 🤣
IMG_9044.jpeg
I decided we needed a change of scenery, so cobbled together a couple of little routes, that perked him up!
IMG_9048.jpegIMG_9050.jpeg
We had some fun on the beater bike trail chasing some bikes 🤣 then diverted off to a quieter bit of forest.
IMG_9051.jpegIMG_9054.jpegIMG_9055.jpegIMG_9056.jpeg
Monkey didn’t want to go the short way home, he asked to go out again 🤩 so we did a little more then went home along the winding track, we had to stop short of the end because of a walker but you get the idea

• Love
Reactions: Jane&Ziggy
Funny ole day yesterday weather wise, was really chilly when I went up in the morning so decided to go back at lunchtime to ride, at 1pm it decided to rain hard enough that I wasn’t going to ride in it, so I just did some jobs and went home again. By 4.30 it had dried up so I tried again, and it was a damp misty evening but we finally managed to get out.

We met our neighbour J to ride with, and as we left her other pony was charging around, Monkey was coiled ready to explode at any minute but managed to keep his cool every time he cantered up the field alongside/behind us.

We had a nice chilled pootle around the forest, some nice long trots and canters although he made me work hard for those 😝

At the top of the hill we saw a few roe deer grazing, the white ones always catch my attention but there’s several grey ones there too. Not a great picture but I didn’t want to try and creep closer and disturb them.
IMG_9065.jpeg
The Forest magic was definitely singing yesterday
IMG_9066.jpeg
On the way home J’s pony galloped the full length of the field flat out to come and meet us, I was very much expecting Monkey to spin, and he didn’t so much as flinch. He can now cope with them coming at him head on which is a huge step for him.

J has just brought a new young horse (3 months older than Monkey) who arrived home yesterday from the trainer. She wants us to babysit him as he’s never hacked out, which I’ve declined initially, I don’t want his nerves to rub off on Monkey when he’s just getting so brave. So I’ll be riding J’s cob out for her a bit to help her get going, good job we’ve got longer, lighter evenings now!

Last edited:
This morning was dull and grey but the sun came out and it’s been a lovely day. We went for a nice little ride. The forest was really busy, but we managed to avoid most of it. Only 1 picture as the first one I took I noticed I only had 4% battery life left on my phone 😬
IMG_9081.jpeg
Those holly like bushes with the yellow flowers on smelled amazing, there’s loads of them in that bit of the forest.

Monkey is feeling his feet a tiny bit, I think he’s just shed a load of sole, so slathered his feet with sole paint and hopefully they’ll harden up again quickly 🤞 I’ve still got his scoots if we need them, they rubbed on longer rides but worked fine on shorter ones.

Reactions: Huggy
I was going to ride tonight but the wind is up again and it was very gloomy threatening rain. So I decided to have another little play at a very simple exercise from my book
IMG_9100.jpeg
IMG_9101.jpegIMG_9102.jpeg
We tried it the first time last week and he did good with it, managed to go all the way forwards and 3/4 backwards.
IMG_9012.jpeg
Tonight he was hyper and doing everything too fast and too much 🤣 he did ok with it and very definitely got into the zone she describes, he just shows it a bit differently to most
IMG_9099.jpeg
He’s such a goof ball 🤣🤣 he stood like this for ages, repeatedly.

Monkey was wired again tonight, didn’t even get out of the drive before he was snorting, glaring at everything and skitting at everything 😖 got as far as neighbours new horse (who did nothing) and Monkey went rigid and pulled over towards him. My elbow has been horrible today and I just didn’t have the strength to hold him, and I knew if they got nose to nose we’d be leaping and squealing, then a van came along behind us so I jumped off to get past.

The rest of the ride was pretty much in that tone. He didn’t do anything bad, but It felt like he held his breath for the first 50 minutes, only really breathing properly on the last stretch to home. Onwards and upwards, tomorrow is another day 🤞

I may have to rethink my bit just while my elbow is bad, this isn’t the first time I’ve struggled with him because of it. It’s not just riding, I can’t pick up a cup of tea at arms length 🥺 physio exercises just seem to be aggravating it more.

We were out by 7.30 this morning while the winds were only 25-30mph, they’re meant to be over 40mph by this afternoon.

I’m wary of the forest in wind as there’s so much tree fall especially this year, so we went a route I haven’t ridden before, though we’ve done some parts of it, sticking to the tourist/bike tracks and the pylon tracks as the trees are more maintained.

Monkey was impeccably behaved today, and we had a very relaxed saunter.
IMG_9115.jpegIMG_9119.jpegIMG_9120.jpegIMG_9122.jpegIMG_9123.jpeg
He does enjoy the views when we aren’t in the thick of the forest
IMG_9126.jpegIMG_9128.jpeg
And I introduced him to nibbling gorse, which he thought was a great idea
IMG_9131.jpegIMG_9132.jpegIMG_9133.jpeg
We came back along a main road (but only 30mph) and he was a champ about it, no fuss at all at seeing more cars than he normally sees in a month! Coming a new way home had him a bit confused though, I’m sure he didn’t know where he was until we were about 20m from our driveway 🤣

Reactions: Bodshi
Saddler day again yesterday, he's lost weight since her last visit - not surprising as she came at the end of his 3 months off in the autumn. We fiddled about with the flocking again, it had gone very flat at the front, but when I got on it just sat a bit low, so we decided to adjust from wide to MW, hopped back on but it wasn't quite right and the flocking shifted in the back of the panel, another tweak of the flocking and it was much improved...we still aren't convinced it will stay put and could be from the over stuffing and lack of regulating by the other inadequate saddlers last year so we concluded I will ride in it for a couple of weeks, and if it hasn't settled nicely, I will just send it back to the maker to be stripped and completely re-flock. I really could do without the bill before we go away at the end of May 🤞 but if needs must.

He was a very good boy waiting mostly patiently for the 2.5 hours we fiddled about for, and thats still hard work for him, he needed a nap after
IMG_9154.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Bodshi
I lunged Monkey yesterday, he was full of beans for about 10 minutes, before he blew himself out lol

Today I was hoping to try another saddle I borrowed, but a) I forgot to bring a long girth from home and b) it’s way too wide.

I did put a stick on Monkey, he’s now a hair shy of 15.3, I feel like he’s not quite fully cooked yet, so he’ll probably be full up 15.3 eventually.

newrider.com