Another day, another viewing... (and another NR meet!)

why don't you take a few steps back and have one on loan for a while? take the pressure off.

otherwise rather than dash over the country, put a wanted ad on preloved and in tack shops, when i did that i got a number of replies and people were very honest about their horses, warts and all. at least you would be looking locally so you can go back and have another try, and not feel the pressure of i have come all this way.

I do have adverts up in our 2 local tack shops and have since November! Although I think they are for loan rather than to buy. I started out looking to loan but couldn't find anything to suit my specific requirements (e.g good with nervous riders) so was advised to buy! I don't really mind which way it goes so I always look for both.

CMP - I have had you and your horror stories at the forefront of my mind when considering buying her without a vetting!! You had such rotten luck but I guess it was all part of the grand plan for Cayman to find you!

Mary Poppins - I always do have a long talk with the owners to try and work out if they are nice / genuine, but in this case the owner was lovely, until you asked something she didn't like! I should have walked away when the night before the viewing she was texting me to say that I'd only have an hour and that she'd need a decision there and then as someone else was coming to see her straight after with their horsebox! I didn't like the tone of her texts, she was really pushy and almost rude, but then the next day she was back to her usual polite self!

I have indeed had a lucky escape! But 30, 40..... 60 viewings?! :frown: I don't know if I'll survive that!!!

Last edited:
did they though? Im beginning to wonder if they were just saying that to try & encourage LWTB to snap up this mare?

LWTB .. im in agreement with the others .. i think you have had a lucky escape here .. I liked the sound of the pony that Jane managed to find.. Sounds Lovely :smile:
I don't think they did have anyone else lined up, thats why I had the:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I think you have to be prepared to do a large number of viewings unless you have sources who know the right sort of horse. I think if you put a wanted loan/purchase ad on preloved, you might do better, I got a few replies that were actually quite interesting.

I was looking for a happy hacker, ideally a 12-14 year old, gelding, been there done it, wanting a quieter life. Not for a novice but sensible, sane, soundish. Height 15-17hh.

Ended up with a 15hh 6 year old coloured cob mare. Green but willing. or so i thought, 5 stage vetting, written off as useless age 9, still with me age 21. had the life of riley.

I looked at so many that i didn't even ride, in the end i only rode about 10 of them the rest i just didn't like on viewing, could see they weren't my cup of tea etc.

This has just been put up an hour ago and i could come and view it with you...You will need to email them through preloved as they don't have a number on there.

For Sale
FAMILY PONY
Details
Type: Private Advert
Price: £2,000 ovno
Updated: An hour ago
Description
14hh bay very pretty mare, 16yrs.

she was my first pony i had her for 2 years and we brought her off someone who had her for 2 years, she is so easy and a very loving mare who will stand for hours being messed about with brushed groomed and cuddled, i would trust her with any child handling her.

before we brought her she was used in a privately ran small riding school, so she can adjust very well, she will happily plod round with the younger children on/off lead rein or adjust for the more experienced and will go round in a working outline, she can do flying changes and is riding in a snaffle so she could do dressage or showing.

Annie is good to hack, she will hack alone or in company, first or last, and can canter but stop when asked, Annie is responsive to the leg but with easy breaks.

she has no vices at all, she is stabled at night which we would wont her to stay this way because she likes her stable! she is easy to handle and will stand all day being fussed and cuddled! she is a really good doer and is very cheap to run! she is good to load,clip,shoe,etc.

She can be mareish towards other horses in the field so she does need to be in her own field.

Annie is good in all due respects but she does not enjoy show jumping, she will pop round the odd small course up to about 2ft3 but any bigger than this she does not enjoy it so we wont her to go to a home where she would not be doing much of this.

If you wont to ask anything please dont hesitate to email me, as we are looking for a long term 5* home where she will be loved as much as we do.

She comes with EVERYTHING!! including saddle, bridle, boots, travel stuff, rugs, buckets, anything you will ever need!!!!!!!

I've just caught up on this thread and - CRIKEY!!!!!!!!! You have had one hell of a lucky escape!!!!!

I know you probably feel so pants about it all at the moment, but keep your chin up, your horse is out there!!

I think if you put a wanted loan/purchase ad on preloved, you might do better, I got a few replies that were actually quite interesting.

Ok will try that, thank you! I have had an advert on adtrader since November and still nothing!

This has just been put up an hour ago and i could come and view it with you...You will need to email them through preloved as they don't have a number on there.

That sounds good! Whereabouts is it / are you? I looked on Preloved to get the email address but I can't find it. Could you send me a link please and I'll contact them. Thank you!

I have posted a few good links in your area, did you see them?

I really like this one that someone else posted though...

http://www.horsemart.co.uk/cobs_horse_8_yrs_14_0_hh_bay_cambridgeshire/advert/144560

Thanks Nat. I am going to see that one! I did look at the others and call them but neither was quite right.

What about this...

http://cambridge.gumtree.com/cambridge/15/70353415.html

It doesn't say much in the ad, but might be worth a call if he is nearby?

Thanks Laura. I've been there and done that! He's a 15.2 Warmblood and although a few inches bigger shouldn't make much difference, he just looked so big I didn't dare get on him! He also rides in a martingale with high head carriage which since Hetty I don't like, plus he's perfect except he 'gets a bit excited when cantering' which really put the last nail in the coffin for me!!

I'd just like to say I take my hat off to you lwtb. Your determination is admirable! I found the experience of horse shopping one of the most horrific experiences of my life and I settled for something that probably wasn't quite right. (We're getting there though).
Hang on in there and it will happen - good luck with the upcoming viewings - we're all rooting for you.

Ok, glad you are getting straight back on with it, I was looking for a while as well, Sam came to me via TB1 on here.... remember she may have something suitable and Cotswolds is not too far if you came to see a couple. I really wish you all the luck and hope it all happened for a reason...:smile: I am sure your new pony is just around the corner:wink:

Thanks Laura. I've been there and done that! He's a 15.2 Warmblood and although a few inches bigger shouldn't make much difference, he just looked so big I didn't dare get on him! He also rides in a martingale with high head carriage which since Hetty I don't like, plus he's perfect except he 'gets a bit excited when cantering' which really put the last nail in the coffin for me!!

No problem, thought he might be a little bigger than you wanted, but worth a try. I will keep an eye out still.

I did find a perfect sounding mare...problem was she was up in Edinburgh :frown: (doing a little bit of make believe horsey shopping myself! :giggle:)

How about putting wanted requests up on other forums? If you dont use any others I am sure people on here would start a thread on your behalf. The more people looking or keeping an eye out the more you will hear about.

I saw that lovely chunky chappie Mistygal, alas though he only goes out in company and lwtb needs to be able to hack alone, bummer.

Oh yeah:furious: doh! Oh well, I think a reunion should be arranged a year after LWTB gets her horse, so we can all go see him/her and see how they are getting on! :smile:

Stunning Grey Tobiano NF x Cob
Price: £2,000

Reference Number: 8023p
14hh 6yo Safe 1st/2nd pony allrounder, rides and drives. Loves kids, showing (placed every time out), fun rides (he does jump) hacking out, driving to the pub with Mum and Dad. Good to catch handle, lead load (lorry or trailer). Has taught kids to ride and given Mum more confidence. Has hacked out with up to 10st and used as taxi to the pub by two novice driving (but experienced drinking!) men. Seen at livery near Romford, Essex. Trap and harness available seperately

email friend Tel: 07702 162864
Mob: 07929 994587 sp@proactivestrategy.co.uk

Here's the link, bottom of the page http://www.horsetraderonline.co.uk/gohtmlist.php?adcat=8&offset=11

Think he might be a bit too far for you though.

newrider.com