Another storm coming

Gosh, we've got off lightly compared to other areas. The wind dropped at some point last night, and now it's just steady rain. I had to move a small branch off the lane last night, but that and the wonky electric fence were the worst of it then.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
Just taken 24 45 litre skips of muck and debris off the yard and stables, Had to move a lot of the sandbags to open the barn doors to roll in another bale for tonight. Taken me 2 1/2 hours to get everything half decent for farrier and vet tomorrow.

Just taken 24 45 litre skips of muck and debris off the yard and stables, Had to move a lot of the sandbags to open the barn doors to roll in another bale for tonight. Taken me 2 1/2 hours to get everything half decent for farrier and vet tomorrow.
Large glass of wine later - you've earned it.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
Well I’ve just been advised not to attempt to get to the yard tonight, apparently there is a stretch of drive from the brook to the stables that is now impassible :eek: I wish I’d rugged the old girl now, she’s going to be pissy if dinner is not forthcoming later.

• Wow
Reactions: Jessey and Huggy
So sorry for those of you that are struggling with the flooding. I can't believe how lightly we seem to have got away with it. Loads of rain in the night, there's standing water in the fields and the dykes are all full and although I know some nearby villages have suffered flooding we have been ok. The little river that caused so many problems last time is over, but nothing like as bad. The BBC weather app on my phone has said we're having 40-50 mph winds and rain all day, but all we've had is a fresh breeze and no rain. Hope everyone stays safe and Bella is ok without her tea.

Reactions: Huggy
Our gang are in or yarded, seems to be calming down a bit. Feel really sad for the folks at newcastleton, they have had it bad. I looked at a house there on the river for my friend, where the car was push off the road into a gate by floodwater looks rather like where it was...

Theres been a couple of trees down near us. One that stopped us going to see the cattle. Fortunately i saw it posted on social media so we were able to go another way off road to get to the cows. There also a tree down on the main road near the other cows field. They closed the road. It has brought some power lines down with it. They said they may need to get into the field as the tree has caused the pole to lean over into the field but it wont be done till they sort out with highways which could take a few weeks.
The most damage to ours was the wind had blown over my big sheep hay feeder, so the sheep couldn't get there hay.

I’ve been to check Belle, I had to, the flood was passable in the 4x4 just and she’s safe, she’s had her dinner and I’ve put the one rug Mr KR managed to save on her, all horses out for the night and all ok thankfully, I can’t even contemplate the carnage tonight, but will be down first thing tomorrow hoping that it’s started to subside a bit, although it’s just lashed down again so am not hopeful of seeing her stable anytime soon.
We’ve had it easy compared to many, many people across wales and the UK and at least it’s only yard stuff that’s gone.

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
It wasn't too bad when I first got up to the yard, about 4pm, but the boys were careering round the field like the hounds of hell were after them. No idea what they were so hyped about, unless it was phase 2 of the storm. Hogan danced and snorted his way in for his feed, and blundered around his stable after every mouthful. Once I'd got the hay out, whatever was bugging them can't have been that scary, as it didn't put them off eating. There was however, a flock of birds swooping around then hovering, the whole time I was there. Still seems that we've got off lightly, hearing everyone's tales of woe.

Reactions: Jessey
We survived just fine. It was less windy that Ciara, but much much more rain. Fortunately there've only been a couple of showers today and our sandy fields are already drying out.

Once again a shout out to Swish horse rugs. After 36 hours of heavy rain Mattie was still dry under his rug.

Charlie was dry under his very own fur raincoat. He had a real pronk today to celebrate the sun coming out, and then slept for an hour! I think heavy weather tires him out.

Reactions: Jessey and Huggy
I can't imagine dealing with all that, how is it now?
it's ok other than residual mud, but when the council drain blocks and backs up, it can suddenly return to this. I am waiting for OH to return and then he can ring the council as he is likely to be more polite than I am

• Sad
Reactions: Jessey
it's ok other than residual mud, but when the council drain blocks and backs up, it can suddenly return to this. I am waiting for OH to return and then he can ring the council as he is likely to be more polite than I am
It sounds like they have earned a little impolite already! they really need to get that fixed.

newrider.com