Anthropomorphism in horses

Stables for example. Are they designed with horses in mind or us? Is 12ft by 12ft really big enough. Think about a rabbit for example, if they were kept in an equivalent sized hutch it would be awful. Has research actually been done into that or did someone just decide.
I don't know if you are using this example in your work. But it's worth looking at how the word stable probably brings up an image of a 12x12 box with a window and a split door.
But I got some photos of a racehorse in training and he has an open stable. It's got a five bar gate at the front and I guess looks more like a shelter.

Reactions: MrA
I don't know if you are using this example in your work. But it's worth looking at how the word stable probably brings up an image of a 12x12 box with a window and a split door.
But I got some photos of a racehorse in training and he has an open stable. It's got a five bar gate at the front and I guess looks more like a shelter.
Thanks, I haven't gone for stabling specifically more a general talk about how it could lead to management that doesn't suit the horse with examples. But also how its crucial.

I do think about this thread now when I read things online. Just saw a post with someone saying their yard owner insists that all the horses wear rugs over winter as she doesn't like to see them shiver.

Not sure if that is anthropomorphism or just generalisation. But ale doesn't shiver in winter at all naked. He's more likely to in late spring when he's got his summer coat and we suddenly have a deluge.

Reactions: Jessey and Skib
I do think about this thread now when I read things online. Just saw a post with someone saying their yard owner insists that all the horses wear rugs over winter as she doesn't like to see them shiver.

Not sure if that is anthropomorphism or just generalisation. But ale doesn't shiver in winter at all naked. He's more likely to in late spring when he's got his summer coat and we suddenly have a deluge.

My girls don't shiver. Zi does - I'd never really seen a horse shiver before we got him. He shivered in late May one afternoon. He got a soaking and with the wind here it was too much for him. Now I know why his previous owner let me have three outdoor rugs for him! She knew he'd be needing them.
Horses for courses and all that. Storm gives dirty looks when shown a rug.

Reactions: Huggy
To insist mine wears a rug she would need to be clipped out as she would overheat.
I have gone to the yard on an occasional day when she has been shivering. That was solved by grazing her for half hour on some decent grass.

Reactions: Trewsers
But ale doesn't shiver in winter at all naked. He's more likely to in late spring when he's got his summer coat and we suddenly have a deluge.
Hank has been 100% toasty in the snow when it was -17c, one spring day after he'd shed his winter coat (it was probably end of May at least) we had heavy rain all day and it was about 10c with a bit of a breeze and he was shivering quite violently head to toe. Their coats are so effective, like you say it's only when they get caught out with the wrong one on ;)

Mattie shivers if he gets wet, for example if he is caught in a heavy rain shower without a raincoat. This is regardless of the time of year. He is very nesh.

I only saw Ziggy shiver once in his life, in May, when he had just got his summer coat all sorted and there was a hailstorm. All the winter he was fine naked in his thick thatched winter coat.

Reactions: Jessey
Hank has been 100% toasty in the snow when it was -17c, one spring day after he'd shed his winter coat (it was probably end of May at least) we had heavy rain all day and it was about 10c with a bit of a breeze and he was shivering quite violently head to toe. Their coats are so effective, like you say it's only when they get caught out with the wrong one on ;)
Bit like us getting caught out.
I see shivering humans quite often here. Though those who do the Boxing Day swim especially so.

• Haha
Reactions: Cortrasna and Huggy
How did the assignment go?

I was thinking about this thread because we have moved yards. As for whether she's happier, I can only say she's currently happy and settled. Why, because if she's not, she's not staying in the field.
The first three days were unsettling for her and she had the gate off.
I noted her sleeping spot, because she's not about to alter it, and assessed her stress levels with seeing her rolling, resting a leg and dozing. Also the trotting over to me, altered to a walk, to a glance be there in a bit. :)
The clingy aspect lessened and she explored the field without me doing the odd jobs.

As for work she's done nothing at all for three months, in the last month it's the bare minimum as was waiting for farrier. She now needs to do something because she's getting bored and a bored cob gets up to mischief and entertains itself!

She certainly sounds happy and like she is settling well.

I quite often think about what I say and do in relation to this now. Not that I always change my actions but it's just interesting to think them through more.

I took Brodie to a clear round thing and he did a little bronc. When I got out the ring someone watching said it was because he was clearly excited to do some jumping.

I had thought it was actually him being nappy as some horses walked past at that moment. Neither of us will really know as Brodie can't talk and tell us why he did it.

But one reason was good and one negative so it's good to think about both I think.

I got really great feedback and 87% on the assignment ?

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
She certainly sounds happy and like she is settling well.

I quite often think about what I say and do in relation to this now. Not that I always change my actions but it's just interesting to think them through more.

I took Brodie to a clear round thing and he did a little bronc. When I got out the ring someone watching said it was because he was clearly excited to do some jumping.

I had thought it was actually him being nappy as some horses walked past at that moment. Neither of us will really know as Brodie can't talk and tell us why he did it.

But one reason was good and one negative so it's good to think about both I think.

I got really great feedback and 87% on the assignment ?

Well done Ale. 87% is amazing. Without wanting to sound patronising, I feel so proud of you and how far you have come over the last few years. Going to uni was certainly a good decision for you.

newrider.com