Be honest... Am I too big for my pony?

No way are you too big for him! I'm 5"3 and a little under 7 stone, and ride little ponies easily, and we both cope fine! And just to make you happier, I'll post some pics:

This is me on out 10.2hh gelding, Ricky (he ran off with me about 30 seconds later!):
MeonRicky.jpg

And here's me and Ellie, my schooling project pony:
MeandEllie.jpg

What is needed is more smaller built folk to get out and about on ponies and let them do things they aren't allowed to do with small kids who are learning. It teaches them manners and gives them chance to let thier mane down.

Whiffy Chicken is 36 inches, she carries kids about all day like baskets of eggs. She potters and does little gentle trotty things and is a dear sweet girl. Get her in harness and let her go and she beats everybody every time against the clock. She really is too small for anybody ecept tiiny kids ride her, so she needs the escape valve of driving and she loves it!

Wow! I didn't realise how many people rode small ponies; some people go a little too far though as I've seen on other threads. But, you guys have really helped me out... alot! My 'friend' does dressage and is really competitive and she told me that I was too big for my pony and I've only got about 6 months left on him until I'll have to sell him. But now I know that she's the only one who thinks that! Ha!

Thank you!!!

SP

your friend is mad for thinking that :), some people prefer riding little ponies, i'm not one of them but that is my personal preference. I like my leg to be used up but if you don't feel big, you're not too big and providing you don't grow 1ft in 6 months you'll be fine :D

Agree with the others! You are a crum on his back!
I'm 5'6, 64kg and my legs go below my horses belly line with a saddle on, at my dressage length. And he's 15.3hh!
I have friends who are over 6ft riding in heavy western saddles on 14.3hh and 15hh appaloosas doing reining. No problems!
Believe me, if you still had any doubt in your mind, our appaloosas are tough characters!

I learnt to jump bareback on my stocky shetland mare last year and my legs were down near her knees but I would go out on her on a 2 hour hack with my mum on Katey and my mum's friend on my old pony.We were doing alot of cantering and trotting and galloping and she came back not tired at all and she wasn't that fit either.
At that time I was 56kg and 5ft4 and the pony was 9.1hh
No you aren't too big!!!

no way!
i'm 5"5 and 7 stone
i ride 11.2's at my riding school, sometimes smaller!
its all great fun!
keep it up!

When i had my first pony a lady on our yard once said i look too big on him - yet i kept him for almost 2 years after she said it. I got him when i was 14, i was about 5ft 6, weighed around 71/2 - 8 st, and he was 14.1hh. I sold him when i was 16. I then went onto a 16.1hh who was a little big (not for me but just mentally) and now i've gone down to a 15.1hh and im perfect on him.

Some evidence of the 14.1hh:

38357561.jpg

jumped him fine as well:

I think we all look a little big when we're bareback if we fit them perfectly in the saddle :p.

newrider.com