Bit of advice needed

I have head adding Seaweed can help with loose poos....a friend always adds some every spring when her boy gets a bit yukky. Just a thought.

gx

Whilst I wish this wan't the case, I've had to become a bit of an expert in equine wet poos as my childhood ponies have hit their thirties. Your neddie's probs are no doubt not related to being as old as mine, but here's the benefit of what I've discovered - hope it helps!

Slippery elm - it sort of lubricates the intestines to reduce inflammation - this has been the BEST product I've found and not too expensive. I get mine from Hilton Herbs;
British horse feeds Fibrebeet and Dodson and Horrells Fiberygy have been godsends;
Global Herbs do something called Diareeze - not very imaginatively named and smells like curry powder but seems to do the trick - I think it's got psyllium husk in it which sort of cleans out the system;
Haylage, any oils (including linseed) and too much grass (especially in spring) go through mine like a ferrari;
I would never be so brave as to try sugarbeet - I think that would have quite spectacular results;
Bailey's do a supplement called something like destiveaid which is a probiotic and prebiotic and not ridiculously expensive.

I also got mine worm counted and teeth checked, just to make sure that wasn't the cause.

Ooh, and if you have the poo down the legs problem, a good spraying with showsheen helps stop it sticking. Nice.

Good luck!

Slippery Elm is a good product....and is great for internal ulcers.

Does the poo look like cow paddies at all.....if so then your horse has sand/dirt in the gut....easy and cheap fix.....send me a private massage would be glad to give details.

Have the teeth been seen to? If a horse can't chew its food properly they will often drink more water to wash the food through the gut and this results in wet poos.

I find actimel or yakult brilliant stuff. Mix one in with his feed and rarely need to use a second but I continue until he is back to rights. Normally its the spring grass that sets mine off.

Pink Powder is great stuff. Perhaps if you tried it at the full dose if nothing else worked and then reduced it to the balancer rate that may keep his tummy right. Would be good to find what is causing it or if perhaps it's just the way his tummy works.

Mine was like that until I discovered he is intollerat of all cerals including oatfeed (which is 99% of horse feeds! including cubes as it is used as a filling/binding agent)

Try removing the cubes and beet - put her strictly on a fibre diet

At the same time introduce a gut balancing/cleaning supplement -either whats been suggested or try www.silverliningherbs.co.uk and look up their blends for digestion.

Give about a week on 'new' diet and see if there are any changes. You could then reintroduce either the beet or cubes and note if there are any changes. If she goes loose again you will know the culprit!

Mine is fed on Fast Fibre and grass nuts - not much cos he is a very good doer but enough to get vits/mins/herbs into him.

It could be the fact that alougth your horse is regulary wormed now, in the past it has suffered a worm burden, which has affected its guts. This could also compansate for the fact he/she dosent keep weight on well also.

Tyler is similar. They aren't the formed, solid type but look like mush to be honest. He is fed good qulity haylage with 2 feeds a day (sugar beet, bran and chaff).

I was advised to try pink powder, but to be honest, he holds his weight, isnt dehydrated and has been checked over by the vet/detist with no problems identified. Perfectly healthy. Possibly the haylage, but if it helps, then a wee bit extra water maynot be that bad.

Jen
x

It could be the fact that alougth your horse is regulary wormed now, in the past it has suffered a worm burden, which has affected its guts. This could also compansate for the fact he/she dosent keep weight on well also.

As I've said I've had her since she was a little dot. I'd thought the same though, until my mum pointed out that she's been with us since she was a baby :rolleyes:

I've put her on live yoghurt and swopped the sugarbeet for fibrebeet, and so far so good! Her poo's are looking normal :eek:
I don't want to keep her on the yoghurt for too long, as I'm unsure whether it would be suitable to be fed long term so come pay I'll start working through the list of supplements people have suggested.

Thanks for all your advice!

newrider.com