Body protectors.

hiya, I have a Rodney Powell in Navy. Heres a pic...

21000422a1314940438b121139062l.jpg

I always always wear it when riding. Its saved me loads lol. Its comfy and looks ok too. Was expensive, BUT SO WORTH IT!!

i also have a rodney powell and i wear it all the time (nearly)
after a fall when i was 7 where i simply winded myself (as much as that is quite painful) my parents made me wear a bp and i have ever since (thats 11years!) i know some people that only wear for jumping or cross country, i wear all the time as horse don't need jumps to jump ;)

Is it okay to order one off the internet? I know it's not a good idea with hats.

although you probably could i generally think its best to buy in a shop so you can see how it fits. they are stiff to begin with and you have take that into consideration when trying on. i definately recommend trying them on before buying as you need to know about length etc.

i have a Racesafe which i wouldnt dream of hacking without after a time i went for a hack, my dad ran after me with it, made me put it on and 5 mintues later my horse reared ontop of me, i almost didnt wear it....scary thought.

If you spend a bit on one that fits well and you are comfortable in then you will be more likely to wear it.
people who go 'BPs are uncomfy' generally havnt tried on every one in the whole world so arnt qualified to talk really, they tried on one and it didnt work for them so all BPs are 'bad' :rolleyes:

then theres the 'i cant breathe in mine' - well get a new one that you can breathe in!

I have a harry hall one. It is really comfy and fits me well!

mengyps.jpg

I find that they are just not 'woman shaped' and if you have a bust, then they tend to be uncomfortable.
Having said that, I've got one - can't think of the brand name, which I tend to wear whenever I'm riding, because, as you get older, the bones get more brittle I think.

I would always go to my local saddle and be fitted properly though, and it would pay to buy the best you could afford.

I have a nice Charles Owen sitting collecting dust. I used to wear it for XC and jumping but have gone off doing either. I dont feel the same need for dressage ( I know I know, things still happen...) and I find it too restricting and hot for mounted games whaich are my two disciplines. If I ever dare to jump again,I would not jump without it as I have no confidence since I broke my arm a few years ago doing XC but I have to say, the BP proabably saved me from worse.

oooh didn't realise airowear did short backs? I've got an airowear one, all i know is it's a women's size 3, or is it 4? Anyway i got it fitted at Rideaway but tbh it's too long in the back - i'm always catching it on the back of the saddle. Doesn't really fit comfortably in the front either and i've had a it a while so it should be more comfy really, i think?! May consider selling it - it's in perfect condition and then get a better fitted one. That website faralaa2803 is really good as it shows all the sizes, thanks.

I find that they are just not 'woman shaped' and if you have a bust, then they tend to be uncomfortable.
Having said that, I've got one - can't think of the brand name, which I tend to wear whenever I'm riding, because, as you get older, the bones get more brittle I think.

I would always go to my local saddle and be fitted properly though, and it would pay to buy the best you could afford.

Apparently the type which zip up like mine are supposed to be more comfortable if you have a bust as opposed to the tabard style ones.

when i got my RP i had the option of a different make (not sure of the name) and that had darts to allow for the bust. i've never had a problem with my RP but i am rather flat chested:eek:

back
1359860817a4289112989b498396296l.jpg

front/side
1359860817a4289078526b139456808l.jpg

Last edited:
newrider.com