Coffee & Cake Shop Chat

View attachment 104481View attachment 104482
Luckily Ale is fab with fireworks! Both sides we had tons going off, some ridiculously loud ones also

Glad to see Ale enjoying lol
Storm was watching the display last night from the front gate - there must have been quite a large one going on about 15 miles away. It wasn't noisy at all though. Just colourful.

Don't think we had fireworks near the horses. The dog does not give a flying fart about them. I've walked him in the past, with them going off in gardens right next to us and he pays no attention - not even a flinch. Maybe he's deaf. I hate the damn things.

We’ve had lots of fireworks going off round here for the last week, drives me nuts as one of my cats is terrified of them, although I think she may be going deaf in her old age as this year so far she’s not been too worried by them.
Belle couldn’t care less about them thankfully. I just wish they wouldn’t set them off from October to new year as seems to happen in this area ?

We’ve had lots of fireworks going off round here for the last week, drives me nuts as one of my cats is terrified of them, although I think she may be going deaf in her old age as this year so far she’s not been too worried by them.
Belle couldn’t care less about them thankfully. I just wish they wouldn’t set them off from October to new year as seems to happen in this area ?
Here too! :confused:

My mums cats didn't mind them because one is totally deaf and the other partially!

Well I'm damp and exhausted. What's been a lovely day so far went a bit pear shaped! Rosy Rue caught a vole (Orkney voles are not seen as pests here and much loved) I wrestled it away from her (she was not impressed) and took it to safety but it was bleeding slightly on one side. I had walked the length of the field at this point so let him / her free to see what happened. Nothing, it was in shock and panting / breathing heavily. So I picked poor creature up again and carried it back to the house, shouted of mr trews to come asap and get a box. I was going to keep it in overnight to see if it recovered but mr t reckoned it would be more distressed. So walked as far away from the cats as possible and released it. I think it may well be okay, it burrowed into some undergrowth - so I sat a while (hence the damp) and watched to make sure Rosy hadn't got a scent on where I was heading! Argh. Cats are so cruel sometimes. She was releasing it like a toy mouse and then pouncing. Awful. I don't think they even like the taste of voles! Just enjoy the game. Pffft.

Seems to be much quieter tonight with the fireworks. Maybe everyone's money went up in smoke yesterday. Someone let some off very close by last night no idea which neighbour it was. I was sat on the sofa with floss so didnt disturb her to get up and look out the window. Today though weve been down sorting out the sheep and i know all my electric fencing was up last sunday when i walked the horses through the field, but today we noticed it all broken. Four breaks in one fence. I reckon some fireworks might be to blame. It hasnt been broken like that at all and the rams and ram lambs have been in there since being of September.

Well I'm damp and exhausted. What's been a lovely day so far went a bit pear shaped! Rosy Rue caught a vole (Orkney voles are not seen as pests here and much loved) I wrestled it away from her (she was not impressed) and took it to safety but it was bleeding slightly on one side. I had walked the length of the field at this point so let him / her free to see what happened. Nothing, it was in shock and panting / breathing heavily. So I picked poor creature up again and carried it back to the house, shouted of mr trews to come asap and get a box. I was going to keep it in overnight to see if it recovered but mr t reckoned it would be more distressed. So walked as far away from the cats as possible and released it. I think it may well be okay, it burrowed into some undergrowth - so I sat a while (hence the damp) and watched to make sure Rosy hadn't got a scent on where I was heading! Argh. Cats are so cruel sometimes. She was releasing it like a toy mouse and then pouncing. Awful. I don't think they even like the taste of voles! Just enjoy the game. Pffft.
Hopefully it'll be okay, you did your best to give it a chance! Sadly cats have bacteria in their mouths that they often transfer to the animal if they bite them. Hopefully the blood was from a claw though!

Cats confuse me. Our barn/feral cat is an absolute sweetheart. He adores people, especially children, loves cuddles and petting, but is a killing machine. I've lost count of the baby rabbits, field mice and other little creatures I've rescued from him. But - he's an amazing rat catcher, those, he doesn't play with - he just takes them out - fast. I'm not a cat person, I don't dislike them at all, but I can't reconcile the purry, sweet side with the stone cold killer lurking underneath!

Cats confuse me. Our barn/feral cat is an absolute sweetheart. He adores people, especially children, loves cuddles and petting, but is a killing machine. I've lost count of the baby rabbits, field mice and other little creatures I've rescued from him. But - he's an amazing rat catcher, those, he doesn't play with - he just takes them out - fast. I'm not a cat person, I don't dislike them at all, but I can't reconcile the purry, sweet side with the stone cold killer lurking underneath!
Mr t and me are very much cat people however, we both get upset when Rosy does this with birds etc. I guess it’s just something in built.

Just settling my hot beef and onion t cake breakfast. It's a beautiful day here so far. Yesterday was lovely too. You know when you just catch that smell on the breeze of a memory of summer? I got a hint of it this morning and yesterday afternoon, it was just there like a fleeting glimpse. Makes all the horrible gales and rain we've had seem nothing. It will keep me going anyway. :D

I have no problem with them killing, it's the playing with it first that bothers me. If you want to eat it then kill it and eat it, playing is cruel and potentially lets a meal escape too. Do cats do this in the wild when the need to kill to eat? I've not seen it in big cat documentaries, though they're quite a way removed from domestic moggies, but I'd be interested to know about ferals or smaller wild breeds.

My cat will 50/50 kill outright or bring them in alive, rarely plays with them though.

My neighbour just sent his teenage daughter round to let me know they’ll be setting off ‘small’ fireworks next to the horses as soon as it’s dark ? the only thing I can do is put the horses on the grass for a couple of hours in the hopes of distracting them, I wouldn’t have worried too much last year but with Jess’ heart and Niko being a bit of an unknown quantity I’m definitely anxious. At least they told me I guess. They’ve been fine with lots nearby the last couple of weeks but they couldn’t see or hear the launch, just the bangs, hopefully them being right there won’t be any different.

• Sad
Reactions: horseandgoatmom
My cat will 50/50 kill outright or bring them in alive, rarely plays with them though.

My neighbour just sent his teenage daughter round to let me know they’ll be setting off ‘small’ fireworks next to the horses as soon as it’s dark ? the only thing I can do is put the horses on the grass for a couple of hours in the hopes of distracting them, I wouldn’t have worried too much last year but with Jess’ heart and Niko being a bit of an unknown quantity I’m definitely anxious. At least they told me I guess. They’ve been fine with lots nearby the last couple of weeks but they couldn’t see or hear the launch, just the bangs, hopefully them being right there won’t be any different.
Fingers crossed they are okay with them. Have you an instant calmer to take the edge off? I used to use the Global Herbs Instant calm sachets back when we lived at the old house. I think it made a big difference. The year after they didn't need it, they seemed fine once they'd seen them and heard them once.

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
newrider.com