Coffee & Cake Shop Chat

Making one of OH and my favourite meals tonight. Store covered hot pot. Anyone else heard of it? His mum used to make it, and I never knew if it was a North eastern thing, or her own invention.
Never heard of it, but hot and pot in the same sentence always gets my attention ! (I love Lancashire hot pot).

Never heard of it, what is it?
Layer of mince and onion(cooked)(I use quorn mince), layer of baked beans, layer of par boiled, fried sliced potatoes, and a layer of tomato soup, spread thin on top. Cooked in hot oven for half an hour, til the soup chars a bit. Sounds disgusting, but it's yummy. Here's one I made earlier lol.Screenshot_20210427-184450_Gallery.jpg

I beat that tastes nice and tomatoey with the soup.

My mum does something similar when cooking breast of lamb. Layer of onion, layer potato, layer of baked beans, and repeat, breast of lamb on top, cover in foil to cook. Then last bit uncover to crisp up the lamb.

Reactions: Huggy
Layer of mince and onion(cooked)(I use quorn mince), layer of baked beans, layer of par boiled, fried sliced potatoes, and a layer of tomato soup, spread thin on top. Cooked in hot oven for half an hour, til the soup chars a bit. Sounds disgusting, but it's yummy. Here's one I made earlier lol.View attachment 106411
That sounds pretty good, I shall have to try it! I’m always after new things I can cook a big pot of and live on for a few days 😋

Reactions: Huggy
No riding again today. Im envisaging being back to silly antics with the time billys had off these last few weeks.
Had to sort out some extra grazing for the cows, so it meant doing a bit more on my hay fence that is still not quite finished. Been months but bit by bit its getting there. Put in a couple of extra woodens, then put up some temporary poly post fencing so i could let the cows up on the steep bank. Not much grass on it but full of moss so hoping they will open it up a bit with there feet.

Then on the way back up the other field as i had the post rammer. I banged on all the wooden posts for my track. So fence is now up completely. Just need to add some crocodile clips to live the sections. Hopefully the boys can be let loose on it over the weekend.

Just not sure how workable its going to be. As we have the cows at home weve got to drive through the track at two points. Its all done with gate handles, so in theory its doable. I can just see two horses sneaking round and out into main field whilst i whip over to feed cows.

Reactions: Jessey
No riding again today. Im envisaging being back to silly antics with the time billys had off these last few weeks.
Had to sort out some extra grazing for the cows, so it meant doing a bit more on my hay fence that is still not quite finished. Been months but bit by bit its getting there. Put in a couple of extra woodens, then put up some temporary poly post fencing so i could let the cows up on the steep bank. Not much grass on it but full of moss so hoping they will open it up a bit with there feet.

Then on the way back up the other field as i had the post rammer. I banged on all the wooden posts for my track. So fence is now up completely. Just need to add some crocodile clips to live the sections. Hopefully the boys can be let loose on it over the weekend.

Just not sure how workable its going to be. As we have the cows at home weve got to drive through the track at two points. Its all done with gate handles, so in theory its doable. I can just see two horses sneaking round and out into main field whilst i whip over to feed cows.
If you can make your gate the same width as your track you can close the track off as you open the gate, I’ve found it works well and prevents any escapes as you drive though (and could be left closed while you feed to save a bit on the getting out to do gates).

Yes normally i would but the various lengths of sections of wire havent quite worked out to the gates properly. With loads of fart arsing about im sure i could get it right. Im a stickler for perfection. Its up and tight, so im settling for that currently. It will bug me. Hopefully the cows will be turned out on the hill soon so driving through wont be for long.

Reactions: Jessey
Just sat here at the farm with a coffee after putting hay out for everyone and Iabsolutely shocked, I’ve just had to have words with Dan, the 2nd time in less than 24 hours! 😱
He’s the meekest, mildest pony and normally if you so much as look at him disappointedly he won’t come near you for days.
Last night as I gave him his tiny handful of haylage he chomped at me, clacking teeth stylee 😱 so he got a growl and a poke in the nose. This morning stood in the barn where he gets said haylage in the evening, he’s stamping and taking chunks out of the fence rail! If he’s gonna pull piss antics with me he can go and take his chances sharing with Jess 🤣 I was only giving it to him because I felt sorry for him being the lowest in the pecking order.

Reactions: MrA
I'm working on my dissertation at the moment and have to say a huge thank you to those of you who helped me! Statistically I didn't find anything relevant, as I thought. But what is slightly interesting is the unrugged group most horses lost a little bit and the rugged horses only some horses lost weight but they lost more. Biggest gains were in the rugged group. Sadly my study wasn't at all controlled enough to prove anything but it's been really interesting and I've loved looking at all the ponies! And learning alot more about how horses thermoregulate and people's opinions on this.

I might not be around much for the next few weeks as I finish up at university as I want to give it my best. You've got to pursue your dreams and give them your all haven't you. On that note I've decided to try and go into teaching in the future. Teaching of animal management and welfare.Thats the plan anyway 😂

I'm working on my dissertation at the moment and have to say a huge thank you to those of you who helped me! Statistically I didn't find anything relevant, as I thought. But what is slightly interesting is the unrugged group most horses lost a little bit and the rugged horses only some horses lost weight but they lost more. Biggest gains were in the rugged group. Sadly my study wasn't at all controlled enough to prove anything but it's been really interesting and I've loved looking at all the ponies! And learning alot more about how horses thermoregulate and people's opinions on this.

I might not be around much for the next few weeks as I finish up at university as I want to give it my best. You've got to pursue your dreams and give them your all haven't you. On that note I've decided to try and go into teaching in the future. Teaching of animal management and welfare.Thats the plan anyway 😂
Yes, definitely time to finish as you started out. I’d be really interested to read your paper if you’d be willing to share it, fair enough if you’d rather not tho.

Reactions: Kite_Rider and MrA
As I said to my local daughter the other day as we walked her dog. You went to uni and worked seriously and blossomed. All while holding down a job and looking after the horses. You educated yourself way beyond the level of the job for which you originally wanted to qualify.
Glad you are now thinking forward. You would be a good teacher Ale and I hope all continues well for you. Over the next few weeks on this course. And afterwards too.

Yes, definitely time to finish as you started out. I’d be really interested to read your paper if you’d be willing to share it, fair enough if you’d rather not tho.
Of course, I'll take out horse details to comply with GDPR and once it's officially graded etc anyone that wants to read can ☺️

Go get stuck in Ale, I think your an amazing young lady for following your dreams and putting your heart and soul into it. 😊

@Ale been thinking today about your dissertation, do you think the rugged horses who lost more weight than the un rugged horses were working harder? I know movement is the best way to get weight off them and assume that those rugged were clipped because they were in harder work than those hairy un rugged ones. Just pondering really so don’t expect an answer.

@Ale been thinking today about your dissertation, do you think the rugged horses who lost more weight than the un rugged horses were working harder? I know movement is the best way to get weight off them and assume that those rugged were clipped because they were in harder work than those hairy un rugged ones. Just pondering really so don’t expect an answer.
So going by the owner questionnaires I did it was actually the opposite, those who were in heavy work (which for the purpose of my research was either being worked every day or for longer or faster work slightly less than every day) tended to be the ones who increased. But then they tended to be the horses that were also fed concentrates and ad lib hay. It's so hard to know really.

Even though there isn't a statistically relevant difference the mean from the rugged horse changed from 5.4-5.2 and the mean from unrugged went from 5.5-4.9. Its barely anything really but I've tied it to possibly rugs or management such as unrugged group generally being fed less concentrates and not ad lib hay, being more likely to be out 24/7 or at night so more exposed to cold weather and even that the unrugged horse owners were more likely to BCS and WT themselves.

I'm also going to try and talk about the reason that there isn't a statistical difference between the 2 groups could be that while unrugged horses use energy keeping warm, over rugged horses use energy keeping cool. Of course I can't prove this but with skin temperatures under rugs in very cold wind chill being recorded in mid 30s it's something I can at least talk about.

I will also talk alot about all the flaws in my study. There was a brilliant study I found with ideal conditions, all the horses the same breed, routine, age, feeding etc only problem is they didn't use rugs in theirs!

Sorry about that very long reply, as I'm sure you will guess I could waffle on about all this for hours even though I found nothing significant 😅

I also did find a research article that actually found no link between exercise and feeding and weight loss but instead made links to breed. I can't remember if the method was any good though, I'll have a look and see if I can find it. I think it was along the lines of horses can change their metabolic rate, so even if they are in heavy work they might just stand still the rest of the time to compensate which could prevent weight loss. Whereas a horse with a normal metabolic rate and that is able to do so (i.e. out in a field) will move around far more foraging so could burn more energy in the long run than one in heavy work. Not sure if that makes any sense whatsoever the way I've written that!

Reactions: Kite_Rider
So going by the owner questionnaires I did it was actually the opposite, those who were in heavy work (which for the purpose of my research was either being worked every day or for longer or faster work slightly less than every day) tended to be the ones who increased. But then they tended to be the horses that were also fed concentrates and ad lib hay. It's so hard to know really.

Even though there isn't a statistically relevant difference the mean from the rugged horse changed from 5.4-5.2 and the mean from unrugged went from 5.5-4.9. Its barely anything really but I've tied it to possibly rugs or management such as unrugged group generally being fed less concentrates and not ad lib hay, being more likely to be out 24/7 or at night so more exposed to cold weather and even that the unrugged horse owners were more likely to BCS and WT themselves.

I'm also going to try and talk about the reason that there isn't a statistical difference between the 2 groups could be that while unrugged horses use energy keeping warm, over rugged horses use energy keeping cool. Of course I can't prove this but with skin temperatures under rugs in very cold wind chill being recorded in mid 30s it's something I can at least talk about.

I will also talk alot about all the flaws in my study. There was a brilliant study I found with ideal conditions, all the horses the same breed, routine, age, feeding etc only problem is they didn't use rugs in theirs!

Sorry about that very long reply, as I'm sure you will guess I could waffle on about all this for hours even though I found nothing significant 😅
Don’t apologise it’s quite fascinating and I really appreciate your reply.

Haha I was also thinking about it, and wondered if those rugged were hot bloods who were more likely hard keepers anyway. I am looking forward to reading the finished product 🙂

Reactions: Kite_Rider
newrider.com