Coffee & Cake Shop Chat

Also would you feel safe walking or cycling on your own after dark? I know I wouldn't. Maybe it's an unreasonable fear, but nevertheless it's there.

Reactions: Trewsers
I do walk up and down my road at night in the dark especially in winter. It can be pretty scary at times for various reasons. Have been know to jump in the bushes or a neighbours entrance on a few occasions.

I won't have a choice come winter to rethink how I travel. By then let's hope we are seeing the back of the virus and those who cycle and walk can use public transport.
I could be cycling come winter if they actually do at in cycle lanes.

I surprised myself earlier. I came round a corner and three people were social distancing across the lane, one was on the phone. So I told them to stay alert, before they would have simply walked into me, let alone been too close.
I walked on and thought, where did that voice come from!

Next they'll be suggesting we use Rikshaws! Lol I love those. I went in a human pulled one on holiday in Canada. It was so funny I just laughed the whole way around the ride. The guy pulling it was built like a brick out house - he loved his job lol

I’d love to give up my car, or at least use it much less, but there’s several things that stop me, my day job is 12 miles away mostly on 60mph roads with no path or lighting of any sort through the forest, doing it in the dark would be lethal, and I wouldn’t want to be doing those sorts of roads at midnight after a shift at the club even though that’s only 4 miles away and coming through town at pub kick out time then would be unnerving. Its also the time factor, getting to my day job is 30 minutes in a car, I’m already out of the house 12-18 hours a day, I couldn’t add more without a knock on effect.

Reactions: carthorse and Huggy
I think they will fall out of the pubs in little groups of two at this rate.
It's looking like it's the town centre that's being made car free. I think that will change the type of shops that survive.

I grew up in a town that was pedestrians and cyclists only, the cars were only allowed around the edge ring road. Authorities had the opportunity to carry on building that way, but it was I believe ahead of its time.

Cloudy day today.
Beach parking reopened over this weekend, so I hope a) people are sensible and b) it clears the pavements a little more.
The best time to go to the beach is when the tide is in. ;)

Just settling my hot beef and onion t cakes and coffee. Had a very productive morning, mucked out and managed to clear a huge amount of hay that had piled up / drifted in the winter winds right outside the byre and banked up. There were several worms living in it, but nobody got hurt, I relocated them all.

Im having a lazy morning. Woke with another headache. So took some paracetamol and went back to bed in a darkened room. Thats 3 days now. It will go soon. I need to stay out the sun.
Ive fed the dogs and let them out and about to go see calves and see who wants to volunteer for a head collar.
Got loads to do. Distributing the feed that was delivered to the appropriate feed bins as there almost empty. Its all sitting on the floor at the moment for the mice to chew. The driver dropped it off several days ago but we havent touched it.
Need to take more hay down to fill the hay shed for the calves so they dont think of jumping through there when i let them out in the yard, and pull out the gates to reinforce the hurdles. All seems quiet out there so might tempt feight and let them out in the yard for a leg stretch.
Need to put in a couple of wooden posts to make up the new temporary paddock for the horses under the trees. The wires been laid out in the field for several weeks and polys are in but it needs pulling tight with a couple of wooden posts and making the gateway. Then the boys can move to new grazing.

Im having a lazy morning. Woke with another headache. So took some paracetamol and went back to bed in a darkened room. Thats 3 days now. It will go soon. I need to stay out the sun.
Ive fed the dogs and let them out and about to go see calves and see who wants to volunteer for a head collar.
Got loads to do. Distributing the feed that was delivered to the appropriate feed bins as there almost empty. Its all sitting on the floor at the moment for the mice to chew. The driver dropped it off several days ago but we havent touched it.
Need to take more hay down to fill the hay shed for the calves so they dont think of jumping through there when i let them out in the yard, and pull out the gates to reinforce the hurdles. All seems quiet out there so might tempt feight and let them out in the yard for a leg stretch.
Need to put in a couple of wooden posts to make up the new temporary paddock for the horses under the trees. The wires been laid out in the field for several weeks and polys are in but it needs pulling tight with a couple of wooden posts and making the gateway. Then the boys can move to new grazing.

We are the same, we had a feed and bagged hayledge delivery, but we can't touch it for another day! I like to be on the safe side and it only arrived on Friday.
I hope your headache goes soon.

Mine doesn't know what a feed bag is, so nothing delivered in that respect.

I have a baseball cap to protect myself from the sun. And I drink lots of water. Touch wood I have avoided a migraine, but then I haven't exactly been outside.

Fed the fish, you know its windy when you throw the food and it blows back into your lap. Found a nice spot now we can sit. Resting camera on foot that can drop into mud if they splash and make me jump! Seriously they do, it's so calm and still then they have a moment.
Funny I have no interest in fishing just sat there doing nothing, but I can sit and do nothing and just watch them.

Reactions: Trewsers
I'm actually quite excited at the prospect of opening all my stuff up tomorrow once it's out of quarantine. I know, it's sad - I should get out more:p
But from madam's point of view it's going to be fab, I ordered her some Vitamunch blocks (which keep her and Chloe occupied for hours), some new ice inserts for her magnetic boots (they are interchangeable which is ace), some "special" hayledge and some powdered mint to sprinkle onto her feed to help get the bute down her. Yaye. Happy days. Oh and there is the small matter of a Joules top which is sitting in it's pretty packaging on the lounge coffee table. It's saying open me. But I daren't. Not yet.

Just been training calves for a couple of hours. Very successful training session. Mugged by one who now knows what a food bucket is for. Became such a pest i had to put her back in the shed to let the weaker ones come forward. 3 on head collars and a bit of leading. 5 eating out the bucket. 3 candidates are going to play hardball i think.
Need to lunch. So mushroom, cheese, lettuce and left over baked beans and spaghetti sandwich. Was very yum. Followed by ice cream, peaches and yoghurt, sprinkled with museli.
I didnt get any horse food. I will have to get that from a different place. They dont do horse food as they have competitor on the dooestep and have a mutual agreement apparently not to tread on each others toes. It was only sheep and calf food and surgical spirit, as ive still got the last lamb to ear tag and whatever 141 has next week.

Reactions: Jessey
Just been training calves for a couple of hours. Very successful training session. Mugged by one who now knows what a food bucket is for. Became such a pest i had to put her back in the shed to let the weaker ones come forward. 3 on head collars and a bit of leading. 5 eating out the bucket. 3 candidates are going to play hardball i think.
Need to lunch. So mushroom, cheese, lettuce and left over baked beans and spaghetti sandwich. Was very yum. Followed by ice cream, peaches and yoghurt, sprinkled with museli.
I didnt get any horse food. I will have to get that from a different place. They dont do horse food as they have competitor on the dooestep and have a mutual agreement apparently not to tread on each others toes. It was only sheep and calf food and surgical spirit, as ive still got the last lamb to ear tag and whatever 141 has next week.

Hang on, you had all of that on one sandwich? argh, yuk, baked beans and spaghetti ???????????:eek: That's scary lol lol Lettuce and cheese yes. Baked beans and the other bits NOooooooooo

I did a spot of DIY, stop myself falling apart ha ha. Not quite finished but pleased with the results so far.
Need to look for more boots, I would usually get those in town, but nothing open.

Hang on, you had all of that on one sandwich? argh, yuk, baked beans and spaghetti ???????????:eek: That's scary lol lol Lettuce and cheese yes. Baked beans and the other bits NOooooooooo
Yes i did. I was feeling extremely hungry. Was only a spoon full mind. It wasnt a doorstop i could still get my mouth around it.
Kept me going all afternoon. Ive just only eaten my dinner at 10pm.

I did a spot of DIY, stop myself falling apart ha ha. Not quite finished but pleased with the results so far.
Need to look for more boots, I would usually get those in town, but nothing open.

Im desperate for some new steel toe cap boots mine have got a huge hole in the heel. They are actually dangerous to wear now. Not sure where i can get a new pair from at present with things closed. Last pair came from countrywide over 2 years ago before they went bust. Need to get something sorted soon. We will be doing tb testing in a months time. The prospect of 38 cows attempting to stand on my pinkies is not a pleasant thought. Bad enough with playing calves.

Speaking of diy. That was the other thing that got delivered the other day with the animal food. We had to order some timber curtious of Blindy deciding to put pay to the door on the shed a few weeks ago when we were putting them through the footdip. She decided to ram the door to escape. Shes usually a nice sheep. I could have understood it if it was the Antisocial Fat Tank that had charged it but not Blindy. Door was full of wood worm and was 20 years old. It was annoying but at the same time was actually quite funny.
My brother made me a new door today. He reused all the hinges and door latch and actually added an additional latch to the inside so i can lock it from either outside or inside when im in the shed working. Like to see the sheep ram that door as its actually thicker. The rams will probably manage it.
IMG_20200517_205729.jpg

newrider.com