Coronavirus

Sadly for the next couple of weeks infection rates are likely to keep rising dramatically, the full benefit of isolation will take a while to show, and death rates will probably continue to rise for a while after that. Isolation only reduces your chance of getting it, and indeed there will be people isolating who already have it , they protect others though. I just hope we don't see a situation where people who get infected are blamed, as if they somehow weren't careful enough.

This is not the situation here in London and probably not in other places too.

No one who is vunerable should go out. It is imperative that people keep to the rules, as we are short of emergency beds for people who really need them. And things are going to get worse.

Please tell your parents to follow the advice and call on local support instead. Our MP on her twitter feed publicises support networks for various areas here. We have a street group for just half the length of our street, arising from Neighbourhood watch.

At the same time warn your parentsnot to hand over money or credit cards to anyone unknown.

The best system has been for an adult child, someone like you, to communicate with the support group and handle any payments. Parents tell you what they need. You contact the support group and the food will be delivered.

It is realsed that old people often dont have computers or smart phones so people post in from the far end of the countnry to let the support groups here that their parents may need shoppng or even phone calls for company to check up on them. All our uni friends are now 80 or 81 and not all have children.

Some have had problems getting supermarket deliveries but if you are over 70 years old it should be possible to register your parents with the supermarket they usually go to and for them to have a weekly delivery of food.
Again the support group near your parents should advise you.

But dont you advise your parents to ignore government guidance.
If everyone makes an exception for themselves the self confinement and the slowing of the peaks does not work.
Going out to get food Is the exception!
I think it depends on what's going on in your life and what actually effects you directly.
The Care Act 2014 has just been changed. This was brought in to protect the vulnerable etc. It was likely passed after much thought and discussion and now its been altered in the blink of the eye, leaving many up the creek without a paddle!
Laws are being thought about of, passed and changed pretty much weekly.
This doesn't impact on you, but it is on thousands. I doubt very much if anyone on here is ignoring the advice, but since many of us don't live in the same house as relatives, we can't keep them in!!

We had grocery store warning yesterday about today being the first of the month.

I needed to get a prescription at pharmacy and went for food and gas .

Nothing was very busy.
No wipes at pharmacy yet you still have to sign for prescription.
That will make spread worse.
I had lysol sprayed tissue.
I think we are good a month to not going to pharmacy again.

Only paper at grocery store was brown paper towels. I got a pack I don't use lots of paper towels but was low as i did not buy any at the start of this.

At least now i got in and out of places
No crowds and im good again for a while.
To go as little as possible.

Closings etc. Extended til beginning of may.
All parks beaches etc parking lots close Friday if you stay distanced and can walk to those places you can use them.
As of yesterday all all holiday rentals not allowed in Massachusetts
I expect governor here will follow suit
So that will stop escapers.

Reactions: Trewsers
I've been un furloughed! Work need me in now so I'll be doing 3 days a week and keeping my regular pay which is a relief. Obviously slightly more at risk of getting the virus as I'll be working with a team of 4 but I have my own office and should be able to keep my distance so not too worried. Definitely feel a bit more settled now to have some routine back

I do wonder, if this goes on for long, if there will be a trend towards people working from home on a permanent basis, with maybe occasional visits to the office. The benefits could be huge - reduced pollution, reduced costs for employers as they could have smaller offices, buildings freed up for housing rather than developing greenfield sites to name but three. It's not like we don't have the technology to do it, I think going into an office to work everyday is actually a fairly outdated idea now. Obviously it doesn't work for every type of business, but this outbreak has shown that it could for many.

I was wondering if shops not on the main High Street would be converted to housing.
I lived in a house years ago that was once a shop back in the 1940's.

This for a lot of us is the new normal, you can't go backwards. Depending on how long this goes on for we will have moved online, away from cash, and won't be buying as much as we did. A lot of selling is on sight, the shops won't let us in here!

All these conferences could be virtual

If Boston did not have that Biogen confrence things would not have exploded so much there.

Maybe it will stop the Hollywood types
Flitting around the world in their fancy planes touting global warming.

I think normal people will think differently about things. The morons won't think and won't change.

Jobs that can be done from home should be.

I think about crowded places in the past
That were already evolving for different
Reasons.
You go into the agricultural fairs and no large bags
Backpacks etc.. They search your purse as you go in.
Same with equine affair.
Home shows.. etc etc

Large sports events showed people only small clear plastic bags being allowed.

People had some sense of safety.

This is a whole new WORRY.

Ale... glad your back to work STAY SAFE

Reactions: Trewsers
All these conferences could be virtual

If Boston did not have that Biogen confrence things would not have exploded so much there.

Maybe it will stop the Hollywood types
Flitting around the world in their fancy planes touting global warming.

I think normal people will think differently about things. The morons won't think and won't change.

Jobs that can be done from home should be.

I think about crowded places in the past
That were already evolving for different
Reasons.
You go into the agricultural fairs and no large bags
Backpacks etc.. They search your purse as you go in.
Same with equine affair.
Home shows.. etc etc

Large sports events showed people only small clear plastic bags being allowed.

People had some sense of safety.

This is a whole new WORRY.

Ale... glad your back to work STAY SAFE

Yes they search your bag / rucksack before going in some of the bigger shops in London. I remember about twenty years ago, Mr T and me went for a short break and they searched my rucksack, lol I was hoping they wouldn't cos it was stuffed tight full of spare socks and extra walking boots! hahahaaa.
But I know what you mean. The world has yet another safety worry. I was shocked at how bad flying is today too. Three years ago when we flew south I hadn't been on a plane for 15 years. And I had no idea how it was going to be going through security. No boots allowed - I had to take mine off at each security check. Lol wish I'd worn sandals! They would have been easier on and off.

I think this has some interesting points on the ride v not ride discussion

I think the amount of bikes here passing me out walking, I would increase my risk of being hit by one if I were riding.
Our usual calm lanes have been overtaken by people and bikes.

A lot of what we are being told is guidance and advisory, not actually law. It's still reliant on us being compliant and taking personal responsibility.
I would love to see road blocks turning back non local traffic, that's not actually allowed.

If you are supposed to incorporate your exercise into your horse visit then surely sensible riding would be okay. Because if your horse is kept out then you might not even have chores etc to count as exercise.

I guess it's up to the individual until they say otherwise. But to not exercise especially if you are used to it is hard mentally. I've just ordered a cross trainer as I'm not riding (yard is closed) and I'm not going out walking or anything as using up my outings to go to do ale

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
newrider.com