Coronavirus

I'm confused tbh. The UK is saying isolation should be 7 days? Everywhere else is doing 14...
It's seven days if you live in your own, but 14 if you live with others.
At least it was when I last checked. And this is the issue, it continues to change.

Isolation when coming from a high risk country was 14 with no symptoms. But if you haven't been anywhere and get symptoms they say 7, I guess as the infectious but unaware period has already past???

That's a joke, so basically carry on doing what ever you want because no one is enforcing it so all the idiots will spread it anyway. I understand why policing don't want to over step their bounds but they ought be given the power to do the job that needs doing.
I thought they had on Thursday. What are the fines for then?

And so it begins up here. First case reported yesterday :( I just hope they can trace anyone else and hopefully stop it from escalating. Its such a small place, I dread to think what is going to happen if it gets a hold.
On your Island or you mean or your part of the country.
I don't even know if they are doing the tracing anyone anymore because they were only testing those in hospital here and we have allegedly been social distancing a week.

Just had phone call from a member of my family in regards to the council reducing the care package they receive.
They are going to give priority to those most vulnerable.
This will be a longterm interruption as oppose to the short term as maybe experienced in winter.

They suggest having extra provisions such as food and medication in case there is a delay in the service. Eh, you can't order medication before the date the computer let's you, shops only sell you two items.
They suggest asking friends and neighbours for help - I love that, she's in her seventies, most people she knows are high risk including the neighbours.

Thes people we are wanting to stay home to shield, are being left!

Families are so scattered nowadays that the support network isn't there the same for the vulnerable. I live nearly 80 miles from my parents, one of whom has received the high risk letter, so there's no way I can pop by to get shopping or prescriptions for them. Many of their neighbours are a similar age so should be minimising contact and outings. Are they genuinely unaware that people who are meant to be in strict isolation for their own protection may have no choice but to go out?

Just had phone call from a member of my family in regards to the council reducing the care package they receive.
They are going to give priority to those most vulnerable.
This will be a longterm interruption as oppose to the short term as maybe experienced in winter.

They suggest having extra provisions such as food and medication in case there is a delay in the service. Eh, you can't order medication before the date the computer let's you, shops only sell you two items.
They suggest asking friends and neighbours for help - I love that, she's in her seventies, most people she knows are high risk including the neighbours.

Thes people we are wanting to stay home to shield, are being left!

That's true, my mum is old and has no choice but to visit the local shop once a week. Fortunately the queues are wide berth - and once inside only three allowed. But there's a limit to how much she can carry on her own as she has no car and walks everywhere.
And yes people vulnerable are getting left behind. She wouldn't be able to ask a neighbour to shop for her - how would she pay her? She doesn't keep cash in the house. And the other neighbours are in their 90's.

• Sad
Reactions: horseandgoatmom
On your Island or you mean or your part of the country.
I don't even know if they are doing the tracing anyone anymore because they were only testing those in hospital here and we have allegedly been social distancing a week.

I meant on our island. The population of the main island and us is only about 15,000. There are a limited number of doctors surgeries and only one hospital (though they have turned the old building over to a virus hospital at the ready - not sure what worries me more, the fact they are prepped for this or not)
I suppose I was hoping that it wouldn't reach us, being as the planes and ferries are only allowed to carry cargo and emergency passengers that need to go to the mainland in Abderdeen for treatment.

• Sad
Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Things are not real clear here either.
People are still being really stupid all over the country.

A Florida pastor had 2 huge services over 500 people at each one all clumped
Together.
He was arrested. He claims HE'S ESSENTIAL.
What to infect everyone and pass the plate around.
The church next town over had an
In car service they showed on the news.
ANY RELIGION WELCOME.
NO contact at all tune car radio .
No passing of donation plate
NO MONEY EXPECTED OR ACCEPTED.

Nyc had throngs of people out and about all bunched up
To see the hospital ship come in.
HOPE YOU GOT A GOOD LOOK
THATS probably where your gonna end up.
We have had crappy weather here last couple days and it will continue off and on
Most of the week.
Hopefully that will keep people from
Congregating.

I meant on our island. The population of the main island and us is only about 15,000. There are a limited number of doctors surgeries and only one hospital (though they have turned the old building over to a virus hospital at the ready - not sure what worries me more, the fact they are prepped for this or not)
I suppose I was hoping that it wouldn't reach us, being as the planes and ferries are only allowed to carry cargo and emergency passengers that need to go to the mainland in Abderdeen for treatment.

And the bar is shut on the boat!

Now that is a humanitarian crisis.

I read that some of the supermarkets are limiting you to one item of the essentials. Thats actually darn ridiculous if you want to stock the freezer up to limit your trips to the shops. How long will a bottle of milk last or a loaf of bread. I get the not stock piling. But for those that have freezers and know how to store food and not waste it and want to stay away i think they are actually causing you to have to shop more. We havent been to a shops for 3 weeks now. Absolutely no food has gone to waste here. That wasnt because we rushed out to stock pile, we have always made sure the large chest freezer is full. We have always brought things when we see them reduced and if they can be frozen they are.

Families are so scattered nowadays that the support network isn't there the same for the vulnerable. I live nearly 80 miles from my parents, one of whom . . . . Are they genuinely unaware that people who are meant to be in strict isolation for their own protection may have no choice but to go out?

This is not the situation here in London and probably not in other places too.

No one who is vunerable should go out. It is imperative that people keep to the rules, as we are short of emergency beds for people who really need them. And things are going to get worse.

Please tell your parents to follow the advice and call on local support instead. Our MP on her twitter feed publicises support networks for various areas here. We have a street group for just half the length of our street, arising from Neighbourhood watch.

At the same time warn your parentsnot to hand over money or credit cards to anyone unknown.

The best system has been for an adult child, someone like you, to communicate with the support group and handle any payments. Parents tell you what they need. You contact the support group and the food will be delivered.

It is realsed that old people often dont have computers or smart phones so people post in from the far end of the countnry to let the support groups here that their parents may need shoppng or even phone calls for company to check up on them. All our uni friends are now 80 or 81 and not all have children.

Some have had problems getting supermarket deliveries but if you are over 70 years old it should be possible to register your parents with the supermarket they usually go to and for them to have a weekly delivery of food.
Again the support group near your parents should advise you.

But dont you advise your parents to ignore government guidance.
If everyone makes an exception for themselves the self confinement and the slowing of the peaks does not work.

@chunky monkey I can see arguments both ways. Yes if people are vulnerable and want to limit the number of trips they make (which is sensible) or are also shopping for someone else who shouldn't be out then it makes it impossible.,. But at the same time if these items are in short supply then it seems fair to restrict so everyone has a chance to have some. There is no good answer.

Being vulnerable I haven't been out for the last 2 and a half weeks other than to my 20 week scan at the hospital. Lots in place to force social distancing and with visiting banned for everyone but the most critical, the maternity and the sick kids hospital it was so quiet! Hubby does our shopping and we are taking advantage of a local veg supplier doing home delivery. Plus getting a fish box delivered. Today is the first time in a month we've been able to get pasta and rice. So lucky having a rural place which we can walk round whenever we wish to. And having the horses on the doorstep. I was a bit blasé about the virus initially but I think now I'm feeling baby moving about I'm just not risking anything. Hubby is decontaminated every time he returns to the house. Mum, gran, sister and dad all socially distancing in various locations but dad chose to go to work in Iceland (the country not the shop!) so very worried about him getting home

@chunky monkey I can see arguments both ways. Yes if people are vulnerable and want to limit the number of trips they make (which is sensible) or are also shopping for someone else who shouldn't be out then it makes it impossible.,. But at the same time if these items are in short supply then it seems fair to restrict so everyone has a chance to have some. There is no good answer.
We are all meant to be shopping less frequent, but if they limit the products we are probably still having to do weekly.

Maybe every household needs to be offered a basic computer pre installed with essential apps.
I don't have social media or a computer, and I definitely don't class myself old!!!
What shocked me more was the day before the lockdown, a well known shop was refusing to take cash, not everyone has a card!

Being vulnerable I haven't been out for the last 2 and a half weeks other than to my 20 week scan at the hospital. Lots in place to force social distancing and with visiting banned for everyone but the most critical, the maternity and the sick kids hospital it was so quiet! Hubby does our shopping and we are taking advantage of a local veg supplier doing home delivery. Plus getting a fish box delivered. Today is the first time in a month we've been able to get pasta and rice. So lucky having a rural place which we can walk round whenever we wish to. And having the horses on the doorstep. I was a bit blasé about the virus initially but I think now I'm feeling baby moving about I'm just not risking anything. Hubby is decontaminated every time he returns to the house. Mum, gran, sister and dad all socially distancing in various locations but dad chose to go to work in Iceland (the country not the shop!) so very worried about him getting home

Vibes for your dad getting home.

newrider.com