Dan's at it again

I've had a right laugh reading all of these escape plans of Dan's, my pony is exactly the same she's a wee sh!te. Levi would stand behind one strand of tape and it would be fine, since she's arrived my god, I've use tape, rope and wire as a last resort as the tape she just ran at. Doesn't help matters she can jump 4ft too :mad:.

We've had to run two lines of elec fencing to keep her in, I would muzzle her but I get anguish from other sources which can't be ignored :rolleyes:, she's broken 5 posts in the last week, and she's dying of hunger apparently, but she's managed to get out and stuff herself to the point where she's quite overweight now :(

I don't know what I'm going to do to keep her in.

Reactions: Jessey
I've had a right laugh reading all of these escape plans of Dan's, my pony is exactly the same she's a wee sh!te. Levi would stand behind one strand of tape and it would be fine, since she's arrived my god, I've use tape, rope and wire as a last resort as the tape she just ran at. Doesn't help matters she can jump 4ft too :mad:.

We've had to run two lines of elec fencing to keep her in, I would muzzle her but I get anguish from other sources which can't be ignored :rolleyes:, she's broken 5 posts in the last week, and she's dying of hunger apparently, but she's managed to get out and stuff herself to the point where she's quite overweight now :(

I don't know what I'm going to do to keep her in.
Dan would agree on the starvation bit, although he is currently exceptionally fat, though he is probably down to a BCS of 8 from a 9 in the summer :eek: if he gets back into regular escapes again I am doing to build a mini fort-knox in the corner of the field, I just don't want to as it defeats the object of having a companion pony and won't be much of a life for him. He was still where I left him this morning so hopefully yesterday was just a mistake after the fence had been off the day before :cool:

I may shoot him o_O was out when I arrived, poked him back and thought I'd walk the fence before turning it back on. I didn't make it 3 sides before he was back out :mad: checked, adjusted, double checked, turned back on and tested. Spent 90 mins doing other stuff and as I go to walk out, you guessed it, out again. I forgot myself and shooed him up the corner yelling out, he probably won't come near me for a week now :(

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Huggy
If only we could explain to them, they're NOT hungry, they just think they are. Hogan could live off his own body fat for 6 months, but in his head, he's wasting away, quite faint with malnutrition. If he had fingers, he'd call the RSPCA.

• Haha
Reactions: Jessey
Semi success this morning, he was on the inner track, only having passed the currently unpowered bit of fence (I disconnected the top strand of the middle and this bit to give max power to the bottom strand that he's been running under.

I think I am going to have another re-jig, the energizer that runs my perimeter fence is double the output of the one I have on the middle, I have some lead out cable so just need to dig a trench and bury it across the track then the bigger unit can run both fences.....hopefully :D Then I can set up 2 batteries on it in parallel so hopefully it will have plenty of juice even on the slightly less sunny days.

I got a new energiser for my Charlie set up, and under the influence of my German livery neighbour I bought this from Voss farming (sent directly from Germany): https://www.electric-fence.co.uk/9v...power-9v-solar-incl-battery-fence-tester.html

I have strimmed under the fence line and put it up carefully (very unlike me) and OMG it has a kick like a mule, even when it's cloudy. It got me on the hand the other day and I swear I could still feel it 2 days later. The boys are noticeably respectful of every fence, even those that aren't currently energised. Perhaps they both work on a "better safe than sorry" principle (I know Mattie does). Perhaps Dan works on a "nothing ventured, nothing gained" principle. That would be typical pony!

I got a new energiser for my Charlie set up, and under the influence of my German livery neighbour I bought this from Voss farming (sent directly from Germany): https://www.electric-fence.co.uk/9v...power-9v-solar-incl-battery-fence-tester.html

I have strimmed under the fence line and put it up carefully (very unlike me) and OMG it has a kick like a mule, even when it's cloudy. It got me on the hand the other day and I swear I could still feel it 2 days later. The boys are noticeably respectful of every fence, even those that aren't currently energised. Perhaps they both work on a "better safe than sorry" principle (I know Mattie does). Perhaps Dan works on a "nothing ventured, nothing gained" principle. That would be typical pony!
That's a 0.28 joule one, my smaller one (that Dan only occasionally respects) is 0.6j, the one on the outer fence is 1.2j so really packs a punch! My old mains one at the other yard was 5j....quite possibly why Jess and hank never try fences at all :)

Half way again tonight, he was on the inner track :rolleyes: however someone had wrecked the barn, dividing rail bracket (from the hay) ripped off the wall, tarps with teeth holes in, stuff everywhere , keeping life interesting :D

Dan had stayed where he was meant to last night and this morning :D however someone had ripped the bracket out of the wall in the barn again, I actually suspect the damage may have been done by someone much larger because the screws were ripped cleanly out (rather than upwards if a little person had forced their way under the rail), repaired with much bigger screws and a couple extra to be sure and all was well this morning :) I will contain the little sods :D

Dan was out this morning, when I went to turn the fence off to get him out I found the battery had died, when I tested everything last it was on a sunny day with the solar panel connected so I wonder if that was feeding it directly and actually the battery has been running down a bit the last few days and everything working less at night and that's why he's been trying his luck again suddenly. Re-jigging it onto the other energizer this weekend is a must.

Last edited:
Yes we find in winter the with the solar you have to top the batteries up occasionally. Theres not quite enough sunlight.
This is my spare/mobile set up, so only has a small solar panel but yes even my main one with a panel 5x the size normally has a couple of weeks mid winter where it can't get enough juice, it's currently dropping about 18v in the day though so that one is holding up fine.

newrider.com