Dan's at it again

Well who knows, he has stayed put since Friday, and I never did get to attaching the other energizer as forgot to order the connectors so the fence is currently unpowered. I have no clue what possesses him when he goes :rolleyes: :D

• Haha
Reactions: Huggy and Trewsers
Once a day (since Thursday) Dan's been out, so I spent 2 hours in the piddling rain digging a trench, laying lead out cable and connecting the inner fence to the outer, doing a 360° fence check as I was already soaked only to find the outer fence battery bloody dead :rolleyes: luckily the water pump battery had enough juice to get me out if trouble tonight and I've now got the 2 others home charging. Good job he's cute ;)

LOL he was out again this morning, but I expected that as he needed to get a shock to know it's on, he wasn't so keen on going back out this morning and I am fairly sure got another belt on his way out, so lets hope that's the end of that :D

He was out again last night the little sod, I re-tested the fence at the furthest point just to be sure but it's packing 9000 volts so should pack enough punch. He was still where he was meant to be this morning :) ever hopeful that's the end of it.....:D

Reactions: Trewsers
Oh the soap opera isn't over yet :D the little git was out when I arrived, retrieved him, fed and did chores, and just getting ready to leave and he's back in the inner track (which is meant to be resting), stood watching, debating if I should just let them all back in that bit to meet him half way and he starts sniffing the inner fence, sniff, shuffle, sniff and RUN! I'm sure he was working out his timing on the pulses o_O he must have been zapped, he was wet through from torrential rain and the wire was tight over him as he went under. Oh well, back to the drawing board :p

• Haha
Reactions: lauren123 and Huggy
He was still in tonight, there's just no predicting what he'll do! I'm going to try putting his forelock and mane in 'buns' on Saturday, in the hopes it will make whizzing under the fence harder, I'm hoping it will snag on a bun and ensure a really good whack is delivered, got to be cruel to be kind... :(

Will jess respect a single strand fence. I was wondering if it's worth putting up another fence a meter inside for her as she kicks and cant get caught on but Dan and Hank can get under. Then add extra strands in to the existing fence to deter Dan. A meter that jess cant get to also might grow pickings for Dan which might help satisfy him.

Jess won't go near a single strand but the track is only 8ft wide in some places so couldn't be done right around, not sure why I'd need to do that anyway? I can add more strands but as he is going under the bottom one adding more above doesn't make the blindest bit of difference to him and adding more strands of current fence isn't a problem with Jess, it's unbreakable stuff I won't have her near. He's got pickings of grass all around the track, I've been working to restore it to grass, moving the outside fence to graze and rest bits. Jess doesn't really pick on Dan, he's respectful and rarely pushes his luck with her, Hank chases him a lot tho.

I slightly misunderstood. I thought you didnt want jess too near for her getting caught in additional wires. Which is partly why I was suggesting an inner wire for her benefit.
I would add more strands to the two you have. To make up to 4 or 5 strands. From seeing a couple of your pictures I think your fence is too high for the devil and theres not enough strands. I would also add in more wooden or poly posts. I would put one or two strands below the bottom strand you currently have. I know you say about the under growth but if you have wooden posts you have 6 holes in the wooden then when the growth comes up you move the insulator up a bit. If you use poly posts you can just move the wire up or down accordingly.
This is some of mine it's only a few inches off the ground. Its poly wire. IMG_20160212_171346481_HDR.jpg

Reactions: Jessey
The bottom strand on the middle fence is at 10" from the ground now (barely above Dan's knee height), the 2nd at Dan's chest height, I moved it down again when I had the field topped last month, the grass is about 6-8" long with the odd more straggly bit, I really can't go much lower without shorting it. I did put 4 strands up before, he still went UNDER the bottom one, I also had posts every 2-3m around that bit. I get that putting more posts in all the way around would make it harder but I just don't have the cash to spare for 300m of posts every 2m at the moment. What gets me, the perimeter electric fence into next doors 3 ungrazed acres, the bottom strand is at least 2ft high and he never goes that way (maybe that's the ones you have noticed in the pictures) and the bottom fence down to my unused acre is a single strand balanced on sticks I just poked in the ground by hand and not even powered, he never goes that way either.

I can only feel your pain, we have spent all week trying to keep two donkeys and one comtois all in fat club on a track with electric fencing and so far the little bs have been in the fields they are not supposed to be in all week.

He's got me all riled up, I will beat the little sucker at this game! :D He'd stayed in yesterday in the day, I put the buns in last night, that did nothing to stop him getting into the middle overnight. I was thinking about what you said about fencing Jess away @chunky monkey, it isn't practical long term or for the whole area but I think I might be able to make it work in 1 area, where I have the inner track set up. I can leave Jess on the outer track, put Dan on the inner track for a few days and reinforce the fence between that and the middle with plain wire, hopefully, maybe, possibly, if he hits that with no flex and a good zap a few times he will give up trying and then not try other areas once I let him back out.

Dont stress @Jessey. I saw your fb post so I guessed you were at your wits end. Its unfortunate it's coming into winter maybe you should have bitten the bullet and lost the mane over the summer and a clip down the middle of the back.
You will win. Hes just one step ahead at the moment. Laugh it off.

newrider.com