Do people want to buy ploddy cobs?

LisW

Nov 13, 2007
Suffolk
Just wondering if people think there are buyers for real "dobbin" types?
The guy in question is a nicely put together 14hh coloured cob. He could probably be shown. In his favour, he is bombproof in all traffic, and rides & drives, and isn't idle - will walk, trot & canter - but although he's not old at 12, his preferred pace is plod! I'm guessing this will limit his appeal & de-value him rather?

Or is he the type that might get people riding or driving again - but would quickly be sold on as they want to do more?

He's not mine. I've known him a while & have tried him. I don't ride now for medical reasons, so haven't ridden him, but personally like something more forward to drive. His owner wants a nice home for him - but it's hard to suggest how best to market him. Any ideas please???

I disagree as I think they are lots of more mature riders who would like something safe and ploddy. I think that this would ADD value rather than take it away.... Although at 14hh he may be a little on the smaller side, but if he's a weight carrier I'm sure he'd sell quickly if he's uncomplicated.

100% agree with Domane, but there are plenty of nervous small riders out there that might love him.

Surely a horse's ability to sell depends on the price range?

Definitely a buyer other there somewhere, perhaps someone nervous or someone who simply enjoys taking in countryside views as a sedate pace.

I would love to have a ploddy cob as my daughter keeps asking to ride Sully but being as he is a baby, there is no chance. I would definitely say there is a market for him as a confidence giver! It's nice to hear of something sane for a change.

Thanks for opinions - will encourage his owner!! He's chunky & def a weight carrier & totally straight forward - so that will all go in his favour I guess. Will pass on comments - ooh & apologise for being negative!!

Plods are worth their weight in gold lots of people just want something to sit on and go for walks maybe the occasional trot, they just want to be around horses and have no ambition to do any thing else and why not i say.

I realise it may not be ideal, but depending on how much she needs to sell him, has she considered approaching local riding schools? He sounds like a ideal confidence giver and could be ridden by older children and small adults.

I think that the danger of selling a ploddy cob, is that they often do their job so well and restore the riders confidence, that they are quickly sold on. Ben is far from a plod, but he is very safe and sensible and I think that is why he has had some many homes (he is 7 and I am his 7th owner). I think his previous owners have become bored for his quiet nature and wanted something faster.

Good safe, steady, genuine cob-types are worth their weight in gold and there is a good market for them at the moment. As Mary Poppins said, once the job is done they can get passed on quickly but if that's a worry it's just a case of finding the right home. The two most likely buyers for you would be riders who are either a little bit older or have suffered an injury but don't want to have to give up riding, or previously non-horsey mothers who want to be able to share an activity with their horsey daughters.

If she's not worried about money the RDA would probably love him, and they can provide a good life for suitable horses.

If I had the money I'd definetly want one. Not interested in competing or jumping, just want to be a happy hacker on a safe horse that gives me a nice ride in any pace.

A nice easy going companion to hack around the place but can turn on the speed when you ask. Pretty much perfect for me as I get older.

Thanks for opinions - will encourage his owner!! He's chunky & def a weight carrier & totally straight forward - so that will all go in his favour I guess. Will pass on comments - ooh & apologise for being negative!!

I know of the perfect home for him if she will allow him to go to a RS? It's a very well run RS which would pass any checks - Laura107 can vouch for it too.

He was apparently in a riding school in the past. Was great there but apparently wouldn't always go into canter on the corner - so they sold him.

Sounds like the majority of RS horses I've ever come across!

Which is why I fell in love with Joy the first time I rode her after my return to riding. She was a go faster girl who liked to drag your leg along the wall and generally be a right pain in the ass. In short, she had spark!

I think you could be selling the sort your friend has all day long, and at a good price IMO, whatever the current market.

There has, and always will be a healthy market for the trustworthy ploddy cob type. Even going back several years when I have had occasion to sell one as described by OP - I have been inundated with calls, sold to first viewers and made a very healthy profit. And wished I had another dozen like it to sell, would be a very rich old lady by now!:biggrin:

How strange life is - in the past I have only sold on as they were all too quiet for me - now that type is all I ever want to ride!:redface::smile:

newrider.com