Do people want to buy ploddy cobs?

Trustworthy ploddy cobs have a good market...not usually for RS use though!

Whilst they are ideal first horses for owners they are often too stuffy to teach people on as most real novices are ineffectual with aids and so need something that goes forward willingly, my best beginner horses are all voice controlled and willing but stop if rider wobbles!!

Your friend will however be inundated with prospective owners, he sounds just the type I recommend novices buy as a first horse!!

I've got a ploddy cob and wouldn't swap her for the world! :inlove:

As a *mumbles* fifty-something woman with numerous health issues and osteo-arthritis, I fully embrace the ploddy nature of my mare. We go on long, long solo hacks together, and I know that I'm safe. Which isn't to say that she can't give me a good long gallop when the occasion demands it, but it's lovely, and important to me, that she waits to be asked...

Women my age are prepared to pay good money for a safe and sane horse.

This kind of horse is so in demand her only problem would be making sure he went to the right home I think. There's bound to be lots of interest at the right price.

Just wondering if people think there are buyers for real "dobbin" types?
The guy in question is a nicely put together 14hh coloured cob. He could probably be shown. In his favour, he is bombproof in all traffic, and rides & drives, and isn't idle - will walk, trot & canter - but although he's not old at 12, his preferred pace is plod! I'm guessing this will limit his appeal & de-value him rather?

Or is he the type that might get people riding or driving again - but would quickly be sold on as they want to do more?

He's not mine. I've known him a while & have tried him. I don't ride now for medical reasons, so haven't ridden him, but personally like something more forward to drive. His owner wants a nice home for him - but it's hard to suggest how best to market him. Any ideas please???

Yes, as one on our yard is looking but to loan. I would have a year ago most definitely. I'm hoping Max turns out this way.

my best beginner horses are all voice controlled and willing but stop if rider wobbles!!

That sounds just like Tango :inlove:

And yes Lis, I am 100% sure your friend will have no trouble selling him on as a plod. Shame he's not a couple of inches bigger but I'm sure there will be smaller riders out there looking for one just like him.

Yes definately. a very healthy market I would say. He is exactly what I was looking for last year after a 20 odd year break from riding. My Quincey was described very much as you have described this one, actually described as a bit of a 'kick-along' which I actually wouldn't say he is, I can just squeeze and he responds, but he is safe and will plod if I want him to. Love him to bits and wouldn't part with him. Hope your friend finds him an excellent home - I am sure he will be in demand. Nine months ago I would have been after him :biggrin:

Agree with everyone else. This chap should find a ready market at the right price. Just take a look at the wanted ads on many horsey selling sites. He's the sort I would look for if I could. TBH lots of riders rarely, if ever gallop, or jump, and not that many general riders (I include myself in that bracket) require the more advanced school moves, want to go hunting or do endurance rides. A nice type that's reliable in traffic and will wtc will win many hearts.

Hope he finds a super home.

I wanted a dobbin plod and ended up with a silly connie x - very flighty and daft! I love Chloe cos she is ploddy, but she can't half shift if she has to! She cannot be ridden of course, but on the ground she isn't quite the dobbin we thought!lol. I love ploddy types, I have been trying to make Storm a plod for 7 years, haven't got there yet..........!

He would be just the sort I would buy if looking... something that drives ( safely) and rides ( safely) Its not always 'nervous or novice' who want horses like these... I just cant be bothered with neurotic horses and enjoy a days hacking in the saddle exploring without the mither !! .. especially ones that dont need to be ridden X times a week to keep sane!

How strange life is - in the past I have only sold on as they were all too quiet for me - now that type is all I ever want to ride!:redface::smile:[/QUOTE]

It's the approach of old age & the health issues that will go with ( arthritis,poor balance,osteoporosis etc )known as looking after yourself :biggrin:

Since recently having a baby, I also feel my life is more precious as this little person relies on me. Horse riding is a danger in itself, and I dont want to push danger levels any more than I need to! I Fun hack with good brakes and a sane head is a good start for me nowadays thankyou very much !!

newrider.com