Fjord temperament?

lor

Jun 28, 2006
I've been considering getting a norwegien fjord for some time now, they seem to have the sort of temperament to suit me:)

Just wondered if you fjord owners would take a few minutes to describe what yours are like, honestly, not forgetting about the bad bits!!:eek: also, are they difficult to fit a saddle to?

I know all horses are individual but I think there are certain traits to breeds.
I am planning a trip to the stud in Wales but want to find out as much as I can.
Thanks a bundle guys:D

In general they are the kindest horses you could wish to meet, and they would hug you and squash you flat with love if you do not teach them the boundaries, they learn quickly though, but they learn the bad things quickly as well as the good, so you need to be consistent and not let them get away with things.

Not much gets them in a flap and if they do get in a flap they tend to do a 10 second flap and then think about it, then realise there's nothing to worry about and get on with things.

They can be subborn, but once you have shown them leadership they will move mountains for you, if you show them no leadership they will make up their own way to go and things to do.

I love them, great sense of humour, but never let them have the last laugh. We likened our one mare to the fat vicar's wife, at a fete, giving out the prizes and joining in the kids games with a floral dress and hat, with her handbag swinging in one arm the other holding her hat on whilst doing the sack race with more enthusiasm than style! :D :D

Thanks Wally, nothing too difficult there!, Just keep away from school sports days!! I am used to stubborn (have had an exmoor mare from 6month old til 8 now:eek::D and I'm used to being firm and consistant and I have learnt how to coax her and convince her and I do think the world of her.

I would like someone who is a bit more on my side;) plus slightly bigger as I am starting to get a little heavier in my middle age:eek:

Look forward to any other experiences:)

Fresca is our first fjord and I bought her unbroken at 3 years 3 months from Ausdan Stud here in Wales. My OH backed her and I think he's still in shock at how simple and easy the process was!

She is a very quick learner, extremely nosey, very affectionate and a good communicator for example; picking up her water bucket and waving it at my OH when he was passing to let him know it needed filling up. When OH gave her the outside of a round bale she kicked it around her stable to let him know it was not good enough - she has obviously trained him well because he then gave her an inner layer and she nuzzled him and munched away happily. The children once squirted her with the hose filling up her water in the field - big mistake she tipped it over them :D. So bags of personality :D.

Not much fazes her takes everything in her stride and very laid back is currently bottom of the pecking order but have noticed that daughters pony soon backs off when she rarely loses her temper;).

Very expressive with her ears if you ask her to do something that she is not fussy doing you get 'muley ears' where she puts both ears out to the side enough to say 'do I have to'? To which I reply 'yes'. Excellent at responding to voice commands which we have always used from day one.

In short I think you too will become hooked - so come on join the club:D.

There is one line of Fjords in the States that are hot as any TB.

But for the most part they are, over all, nice mellow breed. Just take your time and see which ever fjords you are interested in, a couple of times.

Have fun shopping!

(I would love to have a Fjord again..if I could find one that tolted and was for sale.:D)

Have spoken to Ausdan stud and discussed some possibles.

My exmoor mare has put me off mares a bit, but the woman I spoke to said that with fjords there is very little difference between the temperament of a gelding to that of a mare, provided both are handled correctly.

I am thinking of getting a baby as I can put my own stamp on it so to speak.
Having done it all from beginning with my exmoor I feel I could cope!
and as Wally sais, and the Lady from the stud, a fjord should be easier than an exy!!!

Do those with fjord mares find them to be marish in a horrible way?

I have a Fjord gelding and most of the part a very loving boy, love hugs and kisses or any attention.

He doesn't like not getting attention, is a bit bolshy and will throw his weight around if you let him. He's also very strong when hacked out and we are currently experimenting with different bits. I have found it difficult to get a saddle for him and he's now treeless.

I wouldn't swap him for the world.

they are great horses....really friendly and affectionate, but very strong to handle too.

they love food....and thats all that matters to them :p

Fresca is not at all mareish. She was a dream to back - it was a case of come on lets get on with it!.

Would agree with Frances about routine. I use to jump off at a certain point and lead her for awhile to save her feet as she is barefoot - when I decided to extend the distance she stood stock still and looked around enough to say 'you get off here' had to be quite determined to get her out of that one.

I would say they are adult rides as if they set those thick necks they are strong and like any youngester will take advantage if they think you are below them in pecking order. They are also kind, willing, love to work and chilled:D.

A baby which you can deal with from day one gets my vote:D.

Last edited:
I never noticed anything more than aroma when our mares were in season.

Agree with the mule ears, Kina could do a jolly good "wunt!" complete with mule ears.

When backing all 3 of ours the attitude to a rider on their back was "SPLENDID, now where can we go?" not a flicker. Same in harness, it was always a case of "come on, let's go"

This is vearing slighlty off topic, but one of my dilemas re boy or girl is the ease of handling when they are young. I can imagine colts can be more of a handful? AGH decisions:confused:

Wally; "When backing all 3 of ours the attitude to a rider on their back was "SPLENDID, now where can we go?" not a flicker. Same in harness, it was always a case of "come on, let's go"

Couldn't agree with you more on this Wally. Fresca does a 'honk' noise when she is unhappy lol.

I would not have thought colts are any different - we wanted a foal in the future so a mare was a must for us. Also, I prefer mares;):D.

I'll be honest with you and say I know nothing of the norwegian Fjord temperament...however, my husband is Norwegian, and we go to Norway alot. We often see these little horses dotted around the place, and let me tell you, they are HARDY! The weather out there can reach -30 degrees no probs in the winter, and I often see them happily ploughing through the snow without a rug! It can get quite hot in the summer, too, so these little neds seem very adaptable. The terrain out there in Norway varies greatly, so I suspect the Fjord ponies are very sure footed, and probs dont need shoeing if they are used to hard ground and hills from the start. (obviously might beed shoeing if born and raised on flat grass, and never experienced anything else).
They are traditionally used out in the hills and mountains, and will carry food and water through the valleys for their owners, so Im guessing they have a pretty amenable temperament too....

yay someone else who has experienced the joys of -30 norway!!! lol

hehe, beautiful place, huh!
Im not very good at skiing though (much to my hubby's dismay!), and I feel so out of place there becuase that seems to be how everyone gets about, lol. My norwegian speaking isnt that great either...and im always amazed how well they all speak english - thank God!

and I often see them happily ploughing through the snow without a rug!

Hmm, if not told exactly which side their bread is buttered you can end up like the snowdrift!

I have experienced the "manly chest" of the Fjord employed as a snow plough.....only it was me she was trying to plough down! :D :D :D

newrider.com