Fleur is on her way home

If you can't run a charge through it I'd take it down. Every time she goes through it just confirms in her mind that she can, and there's also the risk that she'll get tangled up in the tape she's brought down.

Reactions: MrC and Huggy
Electric fencing without a charge is pointless. Just teaches them it’s not a barrier. She needs a work up from the vet. All of these updates you keep posting point to something being wrong. If this were my horse I’d be having a full work up done to rule out any pain or neurological issues.

If you can't run a charge through it I'd take it down. Every time she goes through it just confirms in her mind that she can, and there's also the risk that she'll get tangled up in the tape she's brought down.
It is a single strand tape and she just pushes it when the weather is better we will put in wooden uprights and make it a permanent fence. I doubt she will get tangled in it give she doesn't break it, she just pulls the posts out so it is slack and low and walks over it.

and the fence is down completely down every post. So will have to try to rejig the electrics completely so that Sapphire doesn't get zapped overnight on the yard as there is an electric fence around the yard to keep her out of the mud to protect her dressings, and enable the field one to be fired up as i am trying to preserve the field they are breaking into as it is the main route into the summer fields so don't want it wrecked any more than necessary.

• Sad
Reactions: Trewsers
She is now wired for sound so hopefully getting a good bang from the fence will stop this nonsense. The field is so wet, after the snow melted we have had torrential so instead of a lack of water, we are like Venice at the moment.

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
Still concerned about Fleur, I weigh her once a week, she is 470kg but she has a big dropped belly. She has been worm tested and wormed, all ok. Please don't let her be in foal.....Still manic, can't be stabled at all, she gets very agitated - she used to be content in her stable. I am just leaving her up the field with her mum and letting her get on with it, she comes onto the yard once a week with Suze for a good groom and tidy up, or if the weather is horrible. Have finally had to go and buy her a rug - all hers went with her - and the ones i have are either too big, too heavy weight, or need a chest extender and still not a good fit. Hopefully the new one will fit her. I have in the past left her unrugged all winter but this year the weather has been so hideous that even Suze is happy to be rugged. They have a big bale in the field and the others are out with them during the day.

• Sad
Reactions: Huggy
Vet was out for Saffy check today so we had another look at Fleur. Suze is not in work, but has a good muscle structure, holds herself well. Fleur seems to have lost all her tone, very dropped for a horse that is only 11 in April. This picture is a week after she left us she looks nothing like that now her belly is dropped as the vet said she jus has lost all her muscle, she looks poor and flatFleur at BC.jpg

She's not too young, I've known it in horses her age. As for no symptoms, well look them up but dropped belly, loss of muscle, loss of top line, loss of weight, generally being poor and flat for no obvious reason are all classic symptoms.

Reactions: Bodshi
She's not too young, I've known it in horses her age. As for no symptoms, well look them up but dropped belly, loss of muscle, loss of top line, loss of weight, generally being poor and flat for no obvious reason are all classic symptoms.
the vet has seen her multiple times and doesn't believe it is cushings. She thinks it is more to do with the horse recovering from her experiences and see how she picks up over the summer

• Increased coat length, and failure to shed coat in summer
  • Weight loss
  • Polydipsia and polyuria (increased drinking and urination)
  • Lethargy
  • Increased sweating
  • Laminitis
She has none of the symptoms of cushings according to RCV, She has no weight loss, in terms of her kg weight and is not ribby, she just lacks muscle she gallops up the field and plays and bucks and kicks but compared to the old Fleur she is flat. Vet is out in 3 weeks to see Saffy and will look at her again, she didn't recommend testing her as felt it would show nothing at the moment. We will continue to monitor her, see if she sheds her coat normally in spring, hopefully her 50gm rug will arrive today and will fit!

Last edited:
Reactions: Huggy
  • Increased coat length, and failure to shed coat in summer
  • Weight loss
  • Polydipsia and polyuria (increased drinking and urination)
  • Lethargy
  • Increased sweating
  • Laminitis
She has none of the symptoms of cushings according to RCV, She has no weight loss, in terms of her kg weight and is not ribby, she just lacks muscle she gallops up the field and plays and bucks and kicks but compared to the old Fleur she is flat. Vet is out in 3 weeks to see Saffy and will look at her again, she didn't recommend testing her as felt it would show nothing at the moment. We will continue to monitor her, see if she sheds her coat normally in spring, hopefully her 50gm rug will arrive today and will fit!
Hope you see a change as spring approaches

Just saying for reference in case anyone reads this thread relating to Cushings. Raf had none of the above symptoms other than loss of muscle which meant his top line seemed to migrate to his bottom line (a bit like me) he looked out of condition and he didn't feel right to ride - not really anything I could put my finger on, in fact a lot of people thought I might be imagining it. He was just too 'good'. I knew he wasnt right when I took him for a canter on the stubble and he didn't ask to go faster. He's never had laminitis and drinking/weeing is normal. My vet was taking routine bloods to check organs/for a virus etc and only did the Cushings test as an afterthought because it was free at that time of year. He said he could count on the fingers of one hand the number of horses he'd known be diagnosed under the age of 10 so it is very rare. Raf does now have an unusually long winter coat I think, but he still sheds as normal. Currently on 1.5 Prascend a day, 7 and a bit years after diagnosis.

Not arguing with you or your vet about Fleur, obviously they're the professional. Just pointing out that the classic Cushings symptoms arent always apparent, in fact I think the disease has to be quite well progressed before you get there.

newrider.com