Golden Oldies...?

This is mine :D

This pic is age 31 and still going strong. If he behaves he wins veteran classes :D, if he does the wall of death round the ring he doesn't.

He doesn't win very often :D:D

halifax06012.jpg

i bought my 16 yr old a year ago, after deciding that i definitely didn't want either a grey, or an older horse. He's both :D

He's a fantastic all rounder, sensible head but extremely forward going. Couldn't ask for more. I'd say go for it.

This is mine :D

This pic is age 31 and still going strong. If he behaves he wins veteran classes :D, if he does the wall of death round the ring he doesn't.

He doesn't win very often :D:D

halifax06012.jpg

gorgeous horse!

and thanks for the advice! am really looking forward to it, as he sounds perfect for me! :D

xx

He looks great. 16 is not old, I'm sure you will have many happy years with him and he will teach you so much. I've spoken to people who have still hunted at 20 plus years. I would have no hesitation on buying another older horse, as they have been there done it and got the tee shirt:)

Of the sixteen horses at my workplace, the average age is about 16 and all but two of them are still in regular work. One of the 21-year-olds is currently looking the best of all the horses on the yard! One of the great things about an older horse is their life experience.

I would say he sounds a lovely horse. I would be tempted!

I loan out my dun newfie x arab mare of the same age and she is a star at jumping and a safe forward going hack with so much to offer. Everyone thinks she is brill and I miss her like anything but she loves work and I have little time at the mo to do her justice. My arab does not care if she works or not so a better horse for me.

rtk- I love your horse- a real stunner. Means when I get Peps back many years to continue!

my 20yr old has as much energy and is just as fit as most younger horses. she still does everything and i expect her to for some more years yet

NOT TOO OLD AT ALL, GO FOR IT IF YOU ARE SURE HES THE RIGHT ONE FOR YOU, JACK IS 23 AND STILL GOING STRONG:)
Picture219.jpg

in wouldn't class 16 as old. over 25 is getting on a bit imo. my mare is 30 and is still fine (although not enjoying the current weather)
i know a horse in her mid 30's who still enjoys hacking and would still compete if she would travel.
if you like the horse and it seems "right" then don't let the age stop you :)

I think older horses are ideal first horses. I love a good oldie, they've been there done that and have picked up a sense of humour along the way :)

My lease mare is 18, still going strong. We've got a Polo pony at our yard who is 35 and is still going strong, though not doing outdoors Polo any more and will probably be retired after this year.. Not because she wouldn't be able to play anymore, but because she has deserved a retirement whilst she is still able to enjoy it! :)

It depends a lot on the individual horse, how well they age. 15-18 is not "old" anymore these days.. But some horses can't make it well past the early teens, some are still going strong at the age of 25.. :)

Nina x

16 is young! My pony is 21 and if not for medical problems (not age related) then she'd still be ridden every day, and loving it.

She'll be doing this, and looking like this, well into her 30's :p.
skye002.jpg

skye.jpg

Don't judge a book by it's cover ;)

I actually find the older horses more fun to ride.. By no means are they slow (well not all of them)!! I get a bit tiffed when I tell people Hon is 18 ..
"Oh really? Shame she's getting on .." :mad:

She is full of life! I'd be a bit worried to see her as youngster ..if thats her now haha.

Here's my girl:

Jumps fine..
Hon3ftspread.jpg

Honey3ftLight.jpg

Is quick to think ..
Changelight.jpg

and is full of love :D
MenHoney.jpg

Check out the older horses .. they are all the fun with the chilled out attitude :)

I would definately not call 16 old. There should be plenty of go left in him.
This is mine. Hes 28. Was only retired from hunting last year and still hacks out 4 times a week for 2/3 hours at a time.
12-10-07_1045.jpg

He certainly doesnt feel like an oldie when your sitting on him.

i have just (4 months ago) bought a 15 year old after saying i definatly didnt want a pony over the age of 11 - i have to say he is the fastest sharpest up for it little chap ive ridden - im hoping for a good few years of fun on him (if i ever get to grips with riding him) - the replies here have given me much hope (as, i hope they have you) so GO FOR IT!!!

newrider.com