Golden Oldies...?

This is my 26 year old Minski. She has retired this year due to her arthritis, but up until the last 12 months has been very sharp. She has nearly been put down 3 times and was a loss of use 10 year ago and she still kept going. In her 20's she has been hunting, show jumping, cross country and galloping on the beach, she is still the one that sets my youngster off for a hoolie round the field!!

P6120047-1.jpg

Never write a horse off because of its age, you may be in for a bit of a shock:eek:

My old horse, a Part Bred Arab is still competing at the age of 22, and winning:D

The 'older' horse I used to ride when he was 12 until he was 16 (PTS a few weeks ago aged 34) used to dump me with great regularity and up until this last year could still pull the odd 'trick' to suprise you. To be honest I would have HATED to have ridden him as a youngster, lol.

What I would say is sometimes the danger with 'older' horses is that they have been there, seen it all, read the book, COULD write the book, and have learnt every damn trick in the book:D:D They 'DO' have a sense of humour and will not be frightened to test your abilities, to see if you are worthy......

Don't be put off, boy will they still teach you a thing or two:D:D I think 'older' horses actually 'make' you ride them and earn their respect.

Have fun, enjoy, and LEARN from the oldies.

Last edited:
newrider.com