Good luck!!

Best of luck - just make sure you let us know how you got on as soon as you get home! Just remember, they don't expect you to know everything - commmon sense is the main issue. Me and my friend Jessie are sure you'll pass with no problem!!

Exam

Sorry to keep you waiting guys! Well the exam was ok, but I failed the riding part, but passed the care very easily apparently. I was really gutted about the riding part but I have filled in the form ready to do it again. Everyone from the yard where I work was amazed I didn't pass, but hey, I can do it againn, so I don't feel too bad now. Thanx for everyones advice advice and good luck messages. See ya soon, I'll let you know when I pass my riding. Saddlebags

You wanted to know what it was like, well....

The riding part was very boring they didn't let us work in open order so I was stuck behind a horse that wasn't going forward, which meant I was constantly watching them and having to ride well into corners. You don't get to show the examiner much, but then again we all agreed that we were a bit annoyed because the examiner was talking to the chief examiner for most of the time and not even looking at us.
The practical care bit was my favourite, the examiner was really nice and I felt I could have talked for ages about anything she asked she made me feel comfident and kept saying "good", "yes" and "excellent". The theory bit was horrible, the examiner didn't give you any clues as to wether you were right or wrong and she just kept saying "OK" as if she wanted to say more then when you didn't she moved to the next person.
If anyone wants to know anything else just ask! :)

I think Sarah's comment that 'everyone at the yard was amazed that she didn't pass' is the understatement of the year!! Everyone was absolutely gobsmacked! The rest of us who are also working towards our Stage 1 were left thinking well if Sarah didn't pass what chance have I got.

Hard luck Sarah, but well done on the care side. I really admire your attitude though, and of course you are absolutely right - you can take it again and hopefully the examiner will be looking the right way this time!!

I'm really sorry you didn't get your riding, but very well done on passing your care! Obviously I don't know your riding but it seems to me that your riding was not poor, only that you have not had enough experience 'riding for an exam'. Rightly or wrongly you need to have a great deal of experience riding as part of a ride. Although I teach in open order 90% of the time, I always make sure Stage One riders (& Stage 2) ride in a ride frequently. Well done for putting in for it straight away. I know you must feel pretty hacked off (no pun intended), but I'm sure with some 'exam riding' under your belt you will pass with flying colours. I am not defending the BHS in their choice of passing or failing somebody, but we all need to be prepared in the correct form for an exam. Hey, go and get drunk or something!!
Let us know how it all goes.
LOL Serita

Thanks Serita. In our lessons for the BHS training we often work in a ride, so that was no different for me and we have done practice exams. I just felt that they could have given us a chance to work on our own and show that we could do more with our horses than getting stuck behind someone who isn't going forward!!! I have two different instructors for my riding and they were both astonished I hadn't passed (one of them is BHSAI (with Stage 4) and the other and international dressage rider, so I have had a good load of exam preparation). But hey, I'm OK about the failing bit now, stuff the stupid examiner, I'll do it next time.
I've got a problem about making a complaint about the chief examiner, I actually know her and she comes to teach on our yard sometimes (usually only the owner, I have only had two lessons with her) so it could cause some friction that could be unpleasant to work with.
Thanks for your advice.
Saddlebags :)

I'm really sorry they didn't pass you. As Jessie said, she and I both know examiners and I fully understand how you feel. As a Manager I looked after examiners during all Stage exams, sometimes only a week after the same examiners failed me at Stage 3. It is a really difficult situation! Well done for being positive, although there is not that much you can do really, is there? My sister took her Stage One after I trained her - she got a border pass in her riding - I knew the examiner - I was a little miffed, so I know exactly how you and your instructors/friends feel.
If you don't mind me asking, what were the actual failing points? If you don't want to say that's fine. Blow them, if you haven't got it already go and pass your Riding and Road Safety Test - then you'll be ready for your Stage 2!

Exam training

Saddlebags
Well done for passing the care.

It's really bad luck with the riding section - although have faith. You'll get the riding next time, I'm certain.
Take heart - I'm (well) over 50 and have been riding since I was 3 years old and I've NEVER been brave enough to take any exams, so I really admire your attitude in first of all actually taking the exam, and then reapplying straight away. Good on you and I wish you the very best of luck next time. Take my friend Serita's advice and put in for your Riding and Road Safety Test in the meantime,or even your Stage 2 care, and keep smiling

If it's any consolation to you, I know one particular lady who failed her AI (this was quite a few years ago) five or six times, but she persevered and is now a very highly respected instructor in my area. Serita will know that I am right as she has also been a pupil of this particular lady, both during her training and more recently.

Well done for your perseverance.
Jessie

Hi Sarah,

I have just got back from my hols and I really cannot believe that you failed the riding, that is absolutely ridiculous. It does make you wonder if they only pass so many regardless of their riding ability. There is no way Sarah that you are not up to that standard, I would say that you would have passed one and two without any problems,
and I am quite miffed for you. It is a shame that you could not have mentioned at the end of the riding that you were not happy then with the examiners chatting and not enough attention was paid.

Anyway I won't go on, well done for passing the care section and best of luck for the exam in the future. Are
you taking it at the same place or going to a different one.

See you at the yard

Regards

Beverley

Thanks Bev. Hope you had a good holiday. Miffed doesn't even begin to describe how I feel!!! I have aplied to retake the exam at Eccelston or somewhere in Liverpool, can't remember the name (Avers Green or something?). Thanks for your positive comment, and that goes to everyone, you helped to really cheer me up!
See ya soon,
Sarah. :)

Serita

The point I failed on where, (oh god this is embarrasing!!):
- balanced position
- work without stirrups
- light seat
- harmony with horse
- balance at trot
- balance at canter.
Other than that I was fantastic!!!!!!! Suprisingly I was reading through some dressage sheets from last year and found that the Chief Examiner had judged me in a Novice test where I qualified for a championships, and in the collectives she gave me a 7 for my riding!! I mean I know they are testing you on the day of the exam, but I didn't feel different to usual and I know when I have ridden badly!!!
We are currently trying to organise the Riding and Road safety test but most of the exams are down south (we are in the North West) and the more local ones have been cancelled because of the FMD.
Hope all is well for you.
Saddlebags :)

Hi Sarah,

Just to mention re the bhs road safety, there was an article
last week in our local paper about a college in cheshire offering the road safety exam.

The college was called Ridge Danyers College, and the telephone number is 0161 484 6600

Hope this is of some help, let me know how you get on

regards,

Beverley

You seem to have quite a comprehensive list. You are obviously an experienced rider, but the examiners seem to have picked out a few things in your riding. If you came to me as a rider who hadn't got their Stage 1, I would immediately give you 2-3 lunge lessons and then go from there. You obviously have the ability to ride well on maybe 2-3 horses, but are you used to riding several different horses? I just wish I could see you ride and give you some pointers, if required!!! Anyway best of luck next time, but please keep in touch!

You put the fact that they picked up on a lot of elements very diplomatically!!!! I ride many different horses as I work at a riding school, and do have the occassional lunge lesson. If there is any advice at all that you could give me over the site please try, i'm desparate to pass (got to retake on the 6th August at Wrea Green)
Thanks
Saddlebags:rolleyes:

newrider.com