Gypsy Cob / Vanner Cob ???

fairlady

Jul 14, 2007
Bristol
Would someone be kind enough to tell me if they are one and the same or what the difference is???

AND if anyone has any photo's to show me the difference, if there is one, all the better:D

Originally the gypsy cob was a horse used to pull gypsy caravans. They were usually coloured to stop the army taking them as mounts (army didn't go for coloureds!) and usually had lots of feather and mane and tail.

A vanner was a working horse; usually plain to look at and most usually not coloured. They were used to pull bakery vans and such - hence the name 'vanner'. They averaged around 16hh and were often not good quality horses, being just basic workhorses.

Kinzzy is a gypsy cob, standing 15hh. She is compact, true to type and has the most fantastic nature. Gypsy cobs are known for their versatility and ability to suit different members of the family. To me, they are the ultimate pocket rockets. They have power you can only imagine. Here's my girl....... I do a bit of everything with her but flat work is my favourite. She has paces to die for........

IMG_0317.jpg

Picture023-1.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

Ooops! Got carried away again.

There where some very nice vanners around .Some where welsh cobx and some fell/dales x.We had a tbx cob coloured who was brilliant.Also a lot of connemara x vanners

Thanks SM - I have to say, I haven't always enjoyed flatwork. When Kinzzy was younger and not as mature as she is this year it was exhausting and I used to get quite frustrated. But I was patient and now am reaping the benefits of allowing her to mature. Cobs don't stop growing until they are 8, and you can really tell with them. She can still be hard work, but when she carriers herself correctly, albeit just for a few minutes, it brings a lump to my throat and it feels like you are floating. i am so proud of her and myself for not having listened to all the folks telling me to work her harder and basically work her into the ground. That's just not my way I'm afraid. I want a cob who is physically and mentally able to enjoy life for many years to come with me by her side.

If I did live nearer to you, I would love to give you a hand. If I can help in any way, just PM me. Cobs are a breed on their own and you have to understand them to get the best from them and not drive yourself insane in the process!! ;)

I've started using spurs on Kinzzy and it has made a huge difference to her way of going. Added to the fact that she can now stand longer periods of schooling together with using the spurs (effectively and simpathetically) I am able to apply the aids without needing oxygen after 5 mins.

Oh the joys, cobs are a work in progress aren't they!!! :D

Well as far as I know in the UK we have Gypsy cobs, the Americans are importing them and have set up a registration so people can get papers on them and they call them Gypsy Vanners.

Originally the gypsy cob was a horse used to pull gypsy caravans. They were usually coloured to stop the army taking them as mounts (army didn't go for coloureds!) and usually had lots of feather and mane and tail.

A vanner was a working horse; usually plain to look at and most usually not coloured. They were used to pull bakery vans and such - hence the name 'vanner'. They averaged around 16hh and were often not good quality horses, being just basic workhorses.

Thanks for the info, chev.:) You know, some clever souls on this side of the Atlantic are breeding colored cobs with lots of feathering and calling them "Gypsy Vanners" (as the above poster noted). You'd fall out of your saddle to see the prices they're getting for them!:D

It's just another one of those made-up "breeds," of course, like the labradoodles (doG help us) that people pay a lot of money for, when there are plenty of nice mixed-breeds at the animal shelter needing homes.

Now I see the people who made up the "breed" also apparently muddled up the name.:p

Thank you.......Bicky again I have to say Kinzzy is absolutely stunning;) I had to look closely at the 2nd picture to work out what
that was behind her.....looks like 101 Kinzzy's at first glance, lol......

Its just that I have heard about.....shhhhhh......a Gypsy x Welsh D Cob....thought I might go along and take a peek at....and keep my hands in my pocket !!!;)

The Gypsy Cobs have their own Society now.......Could I register with them, CHAPS and PB Welshie Society do you reckon?

not that I am buying of course......

Last edited:
I may sound a bit stupid hear so pleas dont laugh at me...

Are Gypsy and Traditionals the same? Just good to know for the future?
(never had anything to do with cobs really)

Well I call my boy a gypsy cob cos I bought him off a settled Gypsey for £200 The horses in that area decend from true romany's horses, and they still pride themselves on their breeding. Charlie comes form a man who was breeding for finer, more athletic build whilst maintaining the feather. Although nothing is written down, I know my horses dam was a beautiful natured skewbald mare of around 14.2 and his sire was a colured stallion of finer build. the only problem hie had with Charlie was that he was a colt, and he already had plently of those, so I was able to buy him.

He is a fantastic horse, strong, clever, athletic, cheeky and kind (most of the time) we do western riding with him and hope to compete in reinign with him eventuallyDSC00066.jpg

DSC00033.jpg, .DSC00066.jpg

Attachments

• P1010016.jpg
    P1010016.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 27
OK, so what is the difference between all the different types of cob? I know what a vanner cob is,

Traditional? Show Cob? Gypsy Cob? Im getting confused

newrider.com