Gypsy Cob / Vanner Cob ???

Thanks for the info, chev.:) You know, some clever souls on this side of the Atlantic are breeding colored cobs with lots of feathering and calling them "Gypsy Vanners" (as the above poster noted). You'd fall out of your saddle to see the prices they're getting for them!:D

It's just another one of those made-up "breeds," of course, like the labradoodles (doG help us) that people pay a lot of money for, when there are plenty of nice mixed-breeds at the animal shelter needing homes.

Now I see the people who made up the "breed" also apparently muddled up the name.:p

Actually, the way it happened was that the army were buying remounts (for the first world war), but didn't want coloured horses as they would have been too obvious in the landscape in battle conditions..............

Few decent self coloured horses were left for farmers and hauliers, so coloured horses became about the only thing available to non army buyers for a while, and they were cheap to buy...........that's how the gypsies and travellers got into them initially.........buying coloured horses, working with them a bit, then selling them to those who needed them.

The gypsies are very fond of things of beauty, particularly if they have a large monetary value, and so the horses became an emblem of wealth and horsemanship/breeding for those families who became deeply involved.

I think you're a bit off the mark when you say they are just a 'made up' breed.

The (coloured) horses which went first to America were sourced from some of the oldest established gypsy/traveller families in Britain, who have been breeding these horses for generations, and know pedigrees off by heart.

These horses have been bred for ability to perform the tasks they were intended for, ie pulling living waggons/light drays, road racing, etc..

However, as I understand it, the vanner cob was a horse standing no taller than 15 hh; a taller horse would not have the same ability to efficiently pull a load, as a horse with a low centre of gravity has greater power for such work.

Many of the waggon horses are between 13.2 and 14.2 hh, and they manage the job very well.

Fifty years ago, when milk/coal/vegetables and the like were sold around the towns and villages, the horses which drew the drays were vanners in the true sense of the word..........they pulled the milk van, the fruit and veg van, the rag and bone van, and so on.

The city of Edinburgh still had vanners working into the early 1960's, St. Cuthbert's Dairy and the Cooperative being some of the last to change over to motorised vehicles.

I've got coloured horses here............I just call them coloured cobs.

Gypsy cobs are coloured horses with a bit of bone and feather, and can range in size and build, whereas vanners are more a type of cob, more suited to the job owing to their size and build.

Some of the American buyers came over to England to visit the horse fairs with the gypsy breeders who were their 'advisors' on their route into coloured cobs. Studs were visited and the buyers went away with some of the best examples of the types that their big money could buy.

Horses such as 'Galway Warrior' and 'Drummer' (one of the English queen's parade horses) went to America to start stud work there and, being America, the prices for stud fees and young stock rocketed to heights previously only dreamt of.

I don't see why you'd refer to these types as 'made up breeds' when you have such oddities as Tennessee Walking Horses and American Saddle Horses (the conformational differences between which are a mystery to me), not to mention the American Shetland Pony..........all nice in their own right, but no less bred for purpose than some lines of gypsy cobs.

I think it will be interesting to see what the American breeders do with the gypsy horses they paid so much for............i hope I'm around, in forty or fifty years, to witness the fruits of their labours.........I hope not to be disappointed. :D

What's your take on it, Peace?

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I'm aware, Gypsy cobs and Traditional Coloured cobs are the same thing. Post war, coloured horses were very cheap to buy, gypsies bred the best, comformation and temperament being important as these were working horses that needed to be trustworthy around children. They could work all day and live off grazing at the road side, withstand winter weather and have strong feet. Cobs are happiest in cool weather, the ones I've had don't tolerate heat as well as other breeds and fare better with sparse, scrubby grazing.
Markings are important too, piebalds being the most valued, with double manes and thick feather from the knee down.
At its best, cob breeding,over here in the UK, it is common to see huge herds of coloured cobs living in large fields, pretty much left to their own devices,mostly peaceful and interactive,babies growing up learning how to be a horse without stabling and individual paddocks and interference from over protective owners. perfect for producing sane, well adjusted youngsters.
Downside is farrier being called to trim a herd of 90 hairy unhandled cobs.:rolleyes:
Of course, thats the best senario, its not always so good, some owners are unselective, overbreed and neglect. I have one of the hapless, starved ones but incredibly, he is the kindest most genuine horse I've ever met, who has on several occasions put himself at risk to protect me. He's what they call 'a Keeper'.

Gypsy cobs are coloured horses with a bit of bone and feather, and can range in size and build, whereas vanners are more a type of cob, more suited to the job owing to their size and build.

Some of the American buyers came over to England to visit the horse fairs with the gypsy breeders who were their 'advisors' on their route into coloured cobs. Studs were visited and the buyers went away with some of the best examples of the types that their big money could buy.

Horses such as 'Galway Warrior' and 'Drummer' (one of the English queen's parade horses) went to America to start stud work there and, being America, the prices for stud fees and young stock rocketed to heights previously only dreamt of.

I don't see why you'd refer to these types as 'made up breeds' when you have such oddities as Tennessee Walking Horses and American Saddle Horses (the conformational differences between which are a mystery to me), not to mention the American Shetland Pony..........all nice in their own right, but no less bred for purpose than some lines of gypsy cobs.

I think it will be interesting to see what the American breeders do with the gypsy horses they paid so much for............i hope I'm around, in forty or fifty years, to witness the fruits of their labours.........I hope not to be disappointed. :D

What's your take on it, Peace?

Oh, I agree that what is marketed here in the US as a "gypsy vanner" is actually a breed, in that they reproduce true.:) Since "labradoodles" do not, that was a bad example.

What gets under my skin is the marketing hype and prices charged by breeders of gypsy cobs in this country. The name, for instance - I guess "gypsy cob" didn't sound fancy enough, so they are "gypsy vanners," which I now understand refers to another type of horse than heavy colored cobs with feathers.

As for American Shetlands - don't get me started!:rolleyes: I'd love to have an actual shetland, but what we have here either more closely resemble hackneys and are fine-boned delicate creatures, or they're dwarfish little things called "miniature horses" marketed as pets.

Interestingly, though, I'm noticing that a greater number of what we call "mini's" are coming to more closely resemble shetlands.:) They seem to me to be growing larger with more bone. I don't know if this is deliberate on the part of the breeders or if it's just a spontaneous reversion to type.

American gaited breeds? I dunno about those.:) Where I live, they're owned either by: a) elderly recreational riders who find it hard to sit the trot anymore (most recreational riders here ride western and do not rise to the trot); or b) gaited horse show people, with whom I generally disagree about their management and training practices.

Last edited:
If you look at old gypsy books a lot of gypsys had fine legged horses and ponies and not always coloured ,Just go and look at liverpool university archives.

im well confused. How can a cob with 2 irish cob parents be a gypsy cob when there are no gypsy cobs in the line? and how can my irish cob be a vanner? Im confuuuuuuuuuuuuuuused!

Some people call them gypsy cobs some call them irish cobs some vanners and some old peple Galloways confused .....................Some people back in the 1970s called them old english black and whites .And then some where called appleby cobs .confused now ...............

VERY!
But Gypsy vanners are stunning!!!!! I mean just look at you-tube but they look and are turned out so differently to irish cobs. and as for appleby cob noooooooooooooo
I will still forevermore say my boy is a Traditional Irish cob and that'll do me. :D
Thanks for clearing up though.

Some people call them gypsy cobs some call them irish cobs some vanners and some old peple Galloways confused .....................Some people back in the 1970s called them old english black and whites .And then some where called appleby cobs .confused now ...............

According to the Fell pony information, Fell ponies were known as Galloways in the early breed history.

That makes sense as these ponies would be used by all sorts of people in and around the border country between Scotland and England, including the mosstroopers who were employed in the protection of land and families in those areas..............it's doubtful if black and white horses/ponies would be used for such a force of fighting men, as they would have had to rely on stealth and surprise much of the time.

According to the Fell pony information, Fell ponies were known as Galloways in the early breed history.

That makes sense as these ponies would be used by all sorts of people in and around the border country between Scotland and England, including the mosstroopers who were employed in the protection of land and families in those areas..............it's doubtful if black and white horses/ponies would be used for such a force of fighting men, as they would have had to rely on stealth and surprise much of the time.

The gypsy cob started off as a x between Clydesdales ,Fells .Dales .welsh.some where shire x.There was a breed now extinct called galloways somewhat like a fell/dales

NO.
Traditionals can be of different breeds.
Puzzle is a traditional Irish Cob and by no means a gypsy cob.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Okay, one person is saying they are the same and others are saying they arent, is there a proper answer or are people just guessing ? lol

What years ago was an irish cob where x irish draughts they no longer apply .So yes traditionals and gypsy cobs are the same as is todays irish cob

For hundreds of years, the Romany or Gypsies as they are commonly known, have traveled throughout the British Isles and Ireland in their beautifully decorated living wagons. These nomadic people created a special breed of horse from the native breeds of the Clydesdale, Shire, Dale pony and Fell pony, that could maintain a steady, economical gait for hours at a time, subsist on limited available grazing and a calm temperament, as a moment's panic could cause the destruction of their master's home. Temperament, bold color, a powerful build and massive feather make these horses unique.

Where I come from, vanners, traditional and gypsy cobs are all the same thing!

Yes, same here! I posted some pics of a horse from my riding school, who is a traditional coloured cob on an American message board, and got told that she was a lovely vanner :confused:. As far as I know, 5 years or so ago coloured cobs were coloured cobs, sometimes referred to as gypsy horses because they were originally bred by gypsies, however since then they've been being imported to America and now terms such as gypsy vanner have suddenly appeared - when before this time I'd never even heard of such a breed!

what type of cob is my girl? or is she just a cob? im confused :rolleyes:

Photo-0264.jpg

Photo-0319.jpg

Cob can be referred to as a 'type' as well as a breed.

k8_doran, i would say your girl is of cob type rather than a particular breed itself, she is probably a draft/cob horse of some kind crossed with a bit of something else... a bit like a pick 'n' mix :p

im still a bit confused lol :eek:
becuase my lad is always just described as a cob...which yes he is,but cant he be desicribed in a bit mre detail as a gypsy cob? im stil slightly confused as to what the difference is between a gypsy cob and gypsy vanner?which would mine be?
He was bred by true gypsys I found out recently and even though has been in a riding school, has been owned by them.He's obv v chunky and heairy and temp is 100% etc,just like many gypsys/vanners etc
I woulld apprecitate if someone could give me any ideas!!:D
anything more than just a cob lol?!
S7300155.jpg

Image0069.jpg

thanx
vicky x

Cobs used to be just short-legged, chunky, all-purpose utility horses. People would hog them and dock them (before docking was - quite rightly - stopped) - and some show cobs are still shown like that, and they're magnificent.

When I bought my first horse, quite a lot of years ago now, he was the sort described as a 'gipsy cob', and that meant, roughly, a cobby type of horse, probably coloured, and of no particular breed. My Tristan was full of faults - his neck was too short, his head was too big, he was spooky and strong, but he'd have a go at everything and I loved him to bits.

Then people started romanticizing coloured cobs, and telling wonderful stories about the gipsies, and importing some of the best ones to America and charging fancy prizes for them. Next thing was, they started some stud books, and then the Irish cob people thought they'd get in on the act, and so they started the Irish cob stud book. Before that, an Irish cob was just a cob bred in Ireland, although Welsh cobs have been a breed for a long, long time.

As for 'traditional', well the traditional show cobs were, as I said, hogged and trimmed, but as feathers and long manes became fashionable, people wanted to show them like that, and the hairy ones are called 'traditional' in the show ring. Now the language is totally in flux, and none of the words have any clear meaning - and people call any chunky, hairy horse a 'cob' even if it's sixteen hands high.

Does that help? If you look up the different cob breed societies, they'll give you more s. I love them all - my second horse was an Irish cob, coloured again, and he was magnificent, chunkier than Kinzzy (who is one of my favourite horses in NR). Because cobs also come in heavyweight and lightweight, depending on how much bone they have. K8, I'd say your girl is just a lovely, old-fashioned cob.

Oh, and CHAPS is the coloured horse and pony society, so any horse can be registered with them, provided that it is coloured - size, shape and breed don't matter.

newrider.com