Horse size V's Rider Size

Hey, I'm about 5ft 0 and 6 st 7lbs [91lbs..].
I ride 13hh ponies, up to 16.3hh horses! I prefer bigger to smaller. I guess it depends what size you are used to riding :)

Im 1.68m (dont do ft and inches) something around 5ft 7 i think.
I weigh around 60kg (not too sure though)
I will ride any of the horses/ponies at the yard. I have long legs so look the right height on the Huge 17.2hh ShireX. but i have ridden mental 11.2hh welshies as well and shetland ponies.

Tarquin is around 15.1hh ish and i think im the right height for him, but he can carry me easily and a lot more too.
I personally usually prefer the little uns to the big horses.

im 14, about 5ft tall, and i ride a 14.1hh cob x pony, the smallest id ride would probably be 13.2 hh and the biggest i ride on a regular basis is 15hh but i would ride something bigger.

im 5ft8, and have ridden 12.2hhs up to 17.2hh's!!!!:p
i feel 15.1hhs-16hhs are perfect for me at the moment.

Peace said:
I'm 5'9", and weigh 150 lbs (10 stone 10). Quanah, my paint horse, is 14.3hh and Bram (draftxQH) is maybe 15hh. Both of them have enough barrel to more than take up my leg, though.

I had no idea Quanah and Bram are such a shorties! That gives me hope for Minose who is only 14.2h right now. I am 5'10" and usually weigh 155-160 pounds though (11 to 11 1/2 stone?).

My actual riding horses are DJ who is fairly round for a TB and a little over 16.1h and Bixby who is a 15.2h QH but she is cheating. She is chunky like a QuarterHorse but has these weird TB withers. I am guessing if we measured her back rather than withers she'd be more like 15h...

Short?! Who're you callin' short?;) :D

Actually it was pretty funny to see Quanah in his last open hunter o/f class - he was the only non-TB in it, and about a foot shorter than anyone else. Unfortunately, the class was told to line up on the judge just as he was at the far end of the ring, so everyone laughed about having to wait for the little short legged paint pony.:rolleyes: Dunno if they were still laughing when we went home with the championship ribbon, though!:D

So you tell Minose not to worry about being among the vertically-challenged.:) I'm sure she'll have no trouble carrying you - she's got that excellent draft blood, after all. My next horse is going to be a Fjord, and I'm gonna get the shortest chunk I can find, so the nephews won't get nosebleeds riding it.:cool:

I'm about 5ft6" and weigh 52kg, and I've stopped growing. My horse is a lightly built 14.3hh and he carries me comfortably. I think Skye will just keep carrying me forever - which is lucky because he has absorbed my entire bank account and I couldn't afford another horse even if I wanted one ... lol
I've have gotten on ponies down to 13.1hh just to tune them up when the kid wasn't capable(not for long periods) and I had a pony of about 14hh(stocky build) with me for a while who I rode comfortably.

im 5ft5 and 9 1/2 stone. my horses are a 12hh section a, 15.1hh hw cob, 16hh idxtb and a 16.3 tb.
ive ridden lots of horses, the smallest being a 10hh section a and the largest a 18hh belgian warmblood showjumper.

I feel really uncomfortable on anything less then 16hh. I'm 5'9 and weight around 160lbs (but used to weight more, so maybe that's why I've got this block in my head LOL)

My boys are 16.1hh but stocky and 17.2hh and thin, and I swear I look better on the 16.1hh guy ;)

I'm starting at a new RS in the new year (when I get paid... short after xmas)! hehe
Am hoping the horses are of a good size, without me feeling huge or small for that matter! Should be interesting if they ask me to mount from the ground! :eek: :D

mellissa said:
I am average height - 5'6" and weight 9 stone (at last!!!). My horse is far too big for me- I cannot get on him from the ground, and very bolshy. He is 17.2hh Belgian Warmblood and is as muscley as tall.

I look small on him, but after two years getting to know him I would not change him for the world. He is schooled to perfection and his jump is out of this world, have found the perfect fella. It would be easier if he was 16.2hh though.

Can ANYONE mount a 17.2hh horse from the ground without a metre long stirrup leather? I'm 5ft2, 7stone and ride anything from Glory(12.1hh) to Zingy(16.3hh)!

I'm about 5'5" and about 8 stone, quite petite with it, and I've ridden a (roughly) 11hh dainty show pony (although I couldn't rise to the trot!) and a 18.2hh TB X thing quite comfortably (well the 18.2hh was comfortable but the 11hh I wouldn't like to ride again). I currently regularly ride a 15.2hh dainty, a 15.3/16hh baby Connemara X TB and a 17.2hh hunter-type. I will be looking for a new horse in the spring, not smaller than 15.3hh but I'd go to 17hh+ if I could afford a lorry to fit it in!
I also know someone (my nutty instructor!) who has mounted the 18.2hh from the ground! She put the stirrup right down, climbed up, and still couldn't reach to put her leg over the saddle (she's quite small too!). She said it was like rock-climbing! :rolleyes: she's a nutcase!
RachelB

Too many - if you're on a diet and looking to crack the next stone marker:D But , 14 lbs = I stone :p
PS Just looked at your photos - what a gorgeous horse :)

Last edited:
help and advice please

hi all hope you can help me for the last few years ive been wanting to take up horse riding but i did let my self go and put on a load of weight
well since having my 3rd child i did make my self a goal to loose weight
im 19 stone now i was more than that ages ago to get this far has been good
please could you be kind enough to tell me what is the ideal weight for me to get too before taking lessons and what kind of horse could i ride now
some websites i came across saying alot of riders
buy the heavyweight cob horse is this true
have riding schools kept these horses?
what is the heaviest a horse can carry?
please advise
thanx in advance

newrider.com