Is anyone on here a serious rider...?

beanz's mum

Kilmucklin Girl
Jan 18, 2006
Taunton.Somerset.
you're probs thinking "what the hell?!of course" Lol

but what i mean by serious is - serious competition wise. anyone with bsja, be, bd ? or anything like that?

out there to win and be the best?

i was just browsing another forum and everyone on it is far more serious competition wise than on here, i haven't really 'noticed' anyone on here to be overly serious about competions and was just thinking (of course im currently watching live sj and wishing i could get to that level- which has also encouraged me to post this thread :rolleyes: )

so whos in it to win it then ? ;)

I would say I was a serious rider when I was younger. I've represented Britain in eventing and show jumping. Still riding at two star and three star level with the event horses, who all compete in BSJA. Also got my show horses.

I am in it to win shall we say, as my livelihood did depend on it. However now I'm settled and I am not needing to win every competition I go into. I'm in the position now where I can compete at this level for fun :)

i would like to, but i dont have the resources ie money or horses!

OH does and i groom for him regularly:)

Maybe its just a perceptual thing, but I always thought the point of NR was that its geared towards less experienced/serious/competitive riders.... and that's why its called NEW rider?

Personally I'm not interested in competitions at all, I just want to enjoypottering about and being wih my horse. I like NR because it gives me a great mix of similar-minded people and more experienced & competitive types to interact with. On fora I've dipped into where more people are 'serious' I've found the atmosphere more intimidating and unhelpful.

Last edited:
I like to think I would've been if my parents had money! I'd like to be a serious competitor when I'm older :)

Maybe its just a perceptual thing, but I always thought the point of NR was that its geared towards less experienced/serious/competitive riders.... and that's why its called NEW rider?

Personally I'm not interested in competitions at all, I just want to enjoypottering about and being wih my horse. I like NR because it gives me a great mix of similar-minded people and more experienced & competitive types to interact with. On fora I've dipped into where more people are 'serious' I've found the atmosphere more intimidating and unhelpful.

like i mentioned, i was browsing another forum and it made me think.

all i was doing was asking a question, getting perspective and getting to know a bit more about people.

thanks for your opinion though. sorry if i offended :rolleyes:

I'm a BD rider. competed on Friday and scored 64.80% was actually in the lead when I left.....still don't know if I won yet as website not updated....but yes I think we all love to get placed. But I do it coz I love it...and were not bad either !!

I am hoping to be in the near future, I bought my 3yr old arab in the hope that once backed and going we may have a serious chance BSJA or BE Bramble if I had the funds to do so with both I would aim for the nationals with our carriage driving, thankfully we are all three young so we have time to reach our aims yet :)

I am not just a happy hacker, but a competitor in training ;):p

i compete seriously, i ride for a stud so our reputation and YM's livelihood depends on it! we have a fair few competing riders on here.

There aren't that many of you, Mehitabel, compared with the newbies and the happy hackers, but I suppose that's a reflection of real life - and I for one am glad you competitors are here: I like reading about what you do, and I'm grateful for your expertise.

There aren't that many of you, Mehitabel, compared with the newbies and the happy hackers, but I suppose that's a reflection of real life - and I for one am glad you competitors are here: I like reading about what you do, and I'm grateful for your expertise.

:eek: thanks linda! i am a happy hacker too though - of the two sides of my riding 'career' - that is the one i'd miss if i had to stop it. if i never competed again wouldn't be gutted, but a lovely wander through the countryside on a sunny morning is unmissable.

Nopee..hack lots. Some schooling, and lots of fun :D Would like to compete my horse eventually when he's older but only to low level Riding Club I imagine :)

I did a bit of junior BSJA a few years back but at the moment i mainly concentrate on younger/green ponies and do unaffiliated local stuff. I would still call myself a serious rider though, i school my ponies to compete and i aim to do well. Although that doesn't stop me from having alot of fun with my ponies, hacking and doing different things.

There are quite a few on here y'know - many don't post that often though.

Go check out the disciplines forum, might be some updates and stuff of a serious competitor.

I did a bit of junior BSJA a few years back but at the moment i mainly concentrate on younger/green ponies and do unaffiliated local stuff. I would still call myself a serious rider though, i school my ponies to compete and i aim to do well. Although that doesn't stop me from having alot of fun with my ponies, hacking and doing different things.

ditto, except ive never done bsja :)

I know Iron Maiden competes pretty seriously most weekends. I know David H who has now left used to compete at a decent level. Haphazard with Hazza competes at a pretty good level aswell.
I say if you want it hun go for it, you have a lovely horse now and you have an instructor who will spur you on. All you need now is the time and the finances to do it.

Then you can come back and tell us all how you get on.

was competing seriously up until 2 or 3 years ago - up to BD elementary level and BE novice, plus RC 3DE champs, PC teams etc.

had a bit of a break, and hoping to get back into the BD and BE, albeit at a lower level to start with.

newrider.com