It's a girl!

thats what i have been saying to my OH....he is adament thats what he wants...i love the name Ione though, perhaps i need to explain to my mum that its not personal!

he is adamant it needs to be either a name of family importance or she is not having one....i wanted her to have one but i dont want family politics of chosing one name over another!

It's just your first kid. ;) You don't have to combine all the names you want to use and make it work all in one!
With our first his middle name honors my grandpa and then with the second we picked her middle name based on OH's grandma. Don't have to do it all at once...

I went for good solid names, Tom, Laura and Sophie. My herd are in their twenties now but their names have stood the test of time and still feature annually in the favourite names lists.

I like Jessica - but then I am biased :giggle: I like traditional names and I like names that can be shortened. I have gone by "Jess" for years out of preference but Jessica doesn't offend me. I wouldn't like something short that I couldn't shorten to a nickname. I have friends with names like Ella and Anna and people always try to shorten their names, they find that very frustrating!

I find that a lot of names are "pretty" or "cute" for a baby but don't seem so nice when they are an adult! Names like Lily for example, I think Lily as a baby name is lovely but not keen on Lily for an adult, if you know what I mean!

Last edited:
Cool! Did you have to pay for the 3D scan? We weren't offered that

Yes mum paid for it for us for Xmas, we went to a private clinic for it. We were not that bothered about it really but after seeing it 3d we are so pleased we went! I had been worried that she may not have been a girl even though at the 20 week scan they said she was, so mum figured it would put my mind at ease so I can get shopping with no worries!

do you think Ione-Beth as a middle name is too obscure? (current fave first name is Sophie)

OH's mum is called Ione, my mum called Elizabeth....it would combine the two...i would prefer just Ione but i think my mum would go a bit mad....

I think obscure middle names are fine, though I agree with those who caution against very obscure first names...

My nephew's middle name is Monsarratt which is the surname of his great grandfather who was one of the 'desert rats' killed in Tunisia in the war when my mum (his daughter) was just 3. It meant a lot to her. And my nephew has become interested in history and our family history as a result. My other nephews have unpronounceable irish middle names for family heritage reasons. No-one needs to use middle names in every day life so constant correcting of spelling won't happen.

newrider.com