Mares or Geldings?

I love mares, love them to bits, even the face pulling, stroppy, opinionated bits :)

Although I love all horses I'd definitely go for another mare. No matter how politically correct we are there is a difference between mares and geldings (and stallions, of course).

I found that my mare took a while to get to know and to *accept* me but once she did it was 'wow'.

Geldings. I always find it easier to 'click' with geldings for some reason, I don't know why. I've had only one mare myself, although I have looked after other peoples' mares, and I sold her on to a very good home - my friend who shares my field!! :D So in fact she went nowhere at all and nothing really changed for her. She's a lovely mare, 17 years old now, but she can be very moody at times. My elderly gelding by comparison is much easier.

I don't really care. I have a mare and a gelding on loan, my mare is more dependant on me while my pony rules the field. When I get my own next year I won't have a preference.

I've only ever owned one of each, but I'd have to say my mare is my favorite. She's more challenging and opinionated; I guess I see a lot of myself in her. While Chance does have a lot of spoiled brat moments he's always cheerful and playful and willing. Sometimes when Sugar sees the saddle coming she gives me this *look* and heaves a big sigh. I don't know...for some reason this always makes me laugh. She's like I am about work: fine with it until the hormones kick in and then it's a huge pain in the arse for her. She also has a more special bond with me than my gelding. Chance loves everyone; a complete stranger could be his best friend. But Sugar is very choosy. She's *my* horse. She allows few people the privalge of petting her and no one can ride her other than children (she's an angel with them) or my husband (somewhat reluctantly and only in my presence.) There's something satisfying in knowing I earned the love and trust of such a picky girl. :)

Last edited:
i perferred mares as i have own a mare. geldings have already put me off but i wont say for life because never know, if gelding have poor condition such as skinny etc... i had to take him then get him back to health, then sell him on to nice home so this is me!

i love mares as i found them hard work but that worth to having them for me to learn what a different between mare and gelding. if i want to have a other horse, i would off to search mare horse....

It doesn't matter to me, but I used to think that all mares were moody and I never dreamed of getting one...but I got one anyway and she's one of the nicest mares I've ever met :D Most of the mares I rode at the barn I used to take lessons at were very moody and were no fun to ride, but the geldings were a blast. But after getting May I realized it really doesn't matter what gender it is...and I personally consider it very stereotypical to say 'Mares are moody', 'Stallions are crazy' and 'Geldings are lazy' because I know lots of examples that prove otherwise ;)

Mares all the way :D Love geldings, but I've never clicked so much with a gelding as I have with a mare.

I've had 4 unbreakable bonds with mares and none with geldings (even though I rode a TB gelding who I did love all summer every day for someone once, I wasn't very sad to see him go, whilst I've shed a lot of tears over the 2 mares I've had to return)

I think this is a really interesting thread. I've often wondered if our personalities have any bearing on this. For instance, all the horses I've ever loved have been geldings and I've never taken to any mares (just me, don't shoot me) but I also get along better with human blokes (never met a gelding :D ) than I do with women. Horrific generalisation I know but but I've always found boys less complicated than girls all round. :eek:

newrider.com